Reload this Page >

Are we trying to do too much?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 2nd, 2002, 03:30 PM
Cheryl

We will be in Italy during Oct.<BR><BR>Day 1-Arrive in Milan and take train to Riva del Garda- stay there for day 2 3, and 4<BR><BR>Day 5- Take train to Venice and stay there for day 6, <BR><BR>Day 7- Take train to Orvieto and stay for day<BR>8 <BR><BR>Day 9 - Take train to (Pompeii for day) then go on to Praiano for day 10, 11, 12, 13<BR><BR>Day 14 Take train to Rome stay day 15 and 16<BR><BR>Day 17 take train to Milan (stay overnight) and fly home on day 18<BR><BR>Sure sounds like alot to me!!!<BR>What do you all think?<BR>

Old May 2nd, 2002, 03:41 PM
Mark

Cheryl I would like to say that while your trip is ambitious it's not unreasonable.<BR><BR>Also, I am sorry about the language of<BR>the last remark ; most people on this board are very polite.

Old May 2nd, 2002, 05:23 PM
StCirq

Cheryl: It seems a lot more reasonable than some other itineraries I've seen proposed. Personally, I'd spend another night in Rome and one less elsewhere (Praiano?), but I don't think your itnerary is un-doable. You'll just need a good bit of vacation energy.

Old May 2nd, 2002, 05:26 PM
Book Chick

I would either cut Orvieto to a half-day or skip it altogether. If you skip it, spend it in Venice or Rome.<BR><BR>Buon Viaggio,<BR>BC

Old May 2nd, 2002, 05:26 PM
Stcirq

...itinerary...I hate seeing that word misspelled. Sorry...

Old May 2nd, 2002, 08:59 PM
Dayle

Hi Cheryl!<BR><BR>Sounds like a nice trip! Where are you staying in Praiano? I stayed there a few years ago visiting my boyfriend's family & we loved it!<BR><BR>Is there any chance of flying out of Rome? Sure would make life easier!<BR><BR>Buon viaggio!

Old May 3rd, 2002, 04:28 AM
ptmy

Cheryl do you have your airline tickets yet? I ask because it makes more sense to fly into Milan and out of Rome. We did that last year at no extra cost.

Old May 3rd, 2002, 04:43 AM
elaine

Cheryl<BR>It's your trip, not mine, but I wouldn't take the time and trouble to take a train to Venice, arrive at your hotel mid-day, and head out again the next day. I would skip Venice and/or Orvieto.<BR>Your whole itinerary does sound like a lot to me and a bit rushed (especially Venice and Rome)but that's your call.

Old May 3rd, 2002, 06:25 AM
Nancy

Dear Cheryl,<BR><BR>I would take the Orvieto night and add it to Venice.<BR><BR>Go to Rome before the Amalfi Coast so you can relax and soak up the good life. <BR><BR>Then take a short flight from Naples airport to Milan.<BR><BR>Don't worry you'll be back.<BR><BR>Enjoy,<BR><BR>Nancy

Old May 3rd, 2002, 07:10 AM
Cheryl

Dayl, we are staying at the Onda Verde in Praiano.<BR>We have purchased our airline tickets already.<BR>I think that we will make Orvieto 1/2<BR>day-<BR>Can we stay on the same train from Orvieto to Pompeii or do we change in Naples to get to Pompeii.<BR><BR>Also, can anyone suggest a good Tour Guide/Group to use in Pompeii?<BR><BR>Thanks for all the great help !

Old May 3rd, 2002, 07:26 AM
Dayle

I haven't heard of that hotel, but it's been a long time since I was there.<BR><BR>You will definitely be changing trains from Orvieto to Pompeii, probably in Rome & for sure in Naples onto the Circumvesuviana (the local train that goes to Pompeii).<BR><BR>As I look at your itinerary again, I would suggest taking a day from both Garda & Praiano to add to Venice & Rome. It's nice to relax, but there is so much to see & enjoy in these great cities. Hard choices!

Old May 3rd, 2002, 07:45 AM
Ellen

You need to remember the time it takes to get to the station, wait for the train, get from train to destination, etc. etc. Where you think you have a full day, you may actually only get a 1/2. I would give Venice 2 days & skip Orvieto. All that rushing about, packing and unpacking--you really won't get to savor any of the 'feel' of the towns. Unless your goal is to just get in and get out. I would also take day 17 and just stay in Rome, you really need 3 days there. The Sistine Chapel and Vatican are one full day themselves. You can always take the evening train to Milan or an early morning train on the 18th if you have a later flight. No, you won't see Milan, but Milan is a pretty popular 'gateway' and you can always do a stopover on another trip. Remember, this is a vacation. It is supposed to calm and restore the senses, not run you ragged.

Old May 3rd, 2002, 11:30 AM
cirpi

Far too much in too short a time. FYI,there is no train service from Milano to Riva del Garda. Your best bet is to take the train from Milano to Peschiera del Garda and a bus from there uplake to Riva. Your stay in Rome is too short, especially if this will be a first visit.