Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Are Tourist Destinations Open in Greece?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23rd, 2013, 06:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are considering traveling to Greece this year, but I heard that many places there are closed due to the economy. I can't remember where I heard it and I don't know where to start looking to find out if it's true. Any advice? We don't get to travel often and we don't know the tricks for getting answers. And obviously we don't want to travel to Greece only to be disappointed.
Old Jan 23rd, 2013, 06:35 AM

Pick some attractions and crank up the Google searches to get first-hand info. Here's another guess: The place needs your money and won't get it by closing down.
Old Jan 23rd, 2013, 07:08 AM

There are NO closed places in Greece, don't know where you heard that but it is absolutely ridiculous !!

On the contrary Greece is expecting to hit the all times record of tourists visiting this year, by reaching the number of 17. Millions.

Go to Greece without second thoughts and i am sure that you will enjoy it
Old Jan 23rd, 2013, 07:16 AM

I haven't come across anything like that while planning our summer trip to Greece. The last two years we've had no issues with closings or (knock on wood) strikes. This summer doesn't look to be any different.

Go to Greece!
Old Jan 23rd, 2013, 11:27 AM

Why would the Greeks close one of their most important sources of income? Okay, I have been in some museums where one or two galleries were closed due to staff shortage, but the museums themselves remained open. I haven't heard of a single archaeological site that has been closed due to the economy.

Maybe you have heard of some shops closing down because of the economic situation, but these would be shops catering to local residents rather than to tourists.
Old Jan 23rd, 2013, 11:47 AM

We have already booked our hotels for 5 weeks in Greece for this summer and bought our plane tickets in advance.
You'd better hurry up.Prices are going up!
They may have hard times and we have to support them especially this year.
Old Jan 23rd, 2013, 12:11 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Only the Swiss close up if they get too much money. Nah the Greeks are open for business.
Old Jan 23rd, 2013, 08:53 PM

it is not true that Greece has closed places especially the tourist attractions, it is true that due the economy crisis many shops from the local market are closed but not the attractions, as clausar wrote in Greece we expect 17 millions tourists for this year, a number that will be a record for our country and will help our economy
Old Jan 23rd, 2013, 10:03 PM

At times I worry about the US news reporting.
Old Jan 23rd, 2013, 10:56 PM

Dickie_Gr

Last year somebody here was told that there was a shortage of food in Greece.... and wanted to know if restaurants are open on the islands....

and someone else kept telling everyone who wanted to visit Greece to rethink it, as it was going to bankrupt in March 2012...( well this date changed then several times, as nothing happened)...