Toilet Paper in Greece

Old Apr 4th, 2008, 09:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Toilet Paper in Greece

Just researching the posibility of a trip to Zante Greece. A friend mentioned that she heard you can't put toilet paper in the toilets there. Is this the case? Was it a problem for anyone?
Old Apr 4th, 2008, 09:35 AM

Yes, no
Old Apr 4th, 2008, 09:47 AM

It takes about a day to get used to it. After that, no problem at all.
Old Apr 4th, 2008, 09:50 AM

Yes, there are trashcans to be used. The pipes aren't equipped for all that trash.
Old Apr 4th, 2008, 12:52 PM

Strange at first, but you quickly get used to it. All of the toilet paper goes in the trash can.
Old Apr 4th, 2008, 01:17 PM

While you are using the trashcan, you are totally grateful there was at least a European style toilet!
Old Apr 4th, 2008, 01:24 PM

Sounds like what I heard about China, except there the hole in the ground replaced the commode
Old Apr 4th, 2008, 06:11 PM

Hi ferryann.
On my travels in Greece, I found that it varies from island to island and establisment to establishment. Seems most common in Santorini at least at the mid price and lower accommodation. Can't imagine someone paying $500/night at a luxury place being told, no you can't flush and having to smell and see that! While there, I was chuckling about all the honeymooners that go there and how they handle this.
Old Apr 4th, 2008, 07:35 PM

I have travelled extensively in Greece and I have always found the toilet paper in the discrete trashcan rule to be the norm (whether a sign was posted or not). I never found it gross. What I did find gross was went people ignored the rule and the toilet ended up plugged. Something to consider.

Have fun.
Old Apr 5th, 2008, 01:02 AM

Am I the only one who read Gerald Durrell's " My Family and Other Animals"? (For O level -but I won't tell you when)!
The first chapter has a delightful description of the arrival of this family in Corfu and their accomodation with the basket for the toilet paper. It is a lovely book as an introduction to Corfu in particular but life and characters in Greece in general.
It is interesting that I still remember the bit above- typical teenage humour I suppose.
Old Apr 5th, 2008, 01:14 AM

yep its a bit gross
i remember going to this great coffee shop/ restaurant in santorini - great view great decor right there on the path leading to oia ( try to do the walk from fira to oia- easy and beautiful)
and i went to the loo only to find the dreaded trashcan...and the loos not far from the kitchen either
on the ferry over to capri ( italian line) there were signs on the door to remind passengers to flush the toilet
novel idea!
Old Apr 5th, 2008, 01:18 AM

Yes, yes ... but the BIG question is -

... what do they DO with 'x' tons of used toilet paper at the end of each day?? The mind boggles.

A prize for the most amusing theory ...

Old Apr 5th, 2008, 01:55 AM

Oh Steve James, that was something I have successfully been avoiding thinking about since we were in Greece in May 2006!!!

In Athens there was no requirement for this custom, must have different plumbing. But certainly on Santorini and in the Greek countryside it was fairly common.

And the toilet WILL BLOCK UP if you decide not to follow the rules. We overheard the management at our hotel on Santorini giving some guests a real ear bashing after they had to confess to putting the paper in the loo.

As another poster mentioned, it's still better than a hole in the floor
Old Apr 5th, 2008, 03:40 AM

Yes, that is true. I was shocked!
Old Apr 5th, 2008, 04:28 AM

I've never been to Greece.
Is a bidet provided or one of those watering can things that you get in Indian restaurant loos?
Old Apr 5th, 2008, 06:09 AM

Frances : I read that book, and all the others that included the adventures of his family when I was 14 (and therefore also just pre-O level, but I won't tell you when either !) and loved them all. Yes I remember well the part about Margo and the toilet paper and using them to freshen her face and the funeral procession going on outside down below and Leslie and his guns very well. Too funny !

Heres a question never having been to Greece before : Are there usually signs or notices in the bathrooms telling one not to flush used paper but to deposit it elsewhere ?
Old Apr 5th, 2008, 06:16 AM

Yes I was shocked as well and never did get quite used to it.
Old Apr 5th, 2008, 12:33 PM

Yes mathieu, signs are sometimes found in toilets but not in all.

I saw blow-back caused by toilet paper being flushed when once on Symi. It was so bad that the hotel had to be closed and all guests moved out. There isn't a lot of accommodation on Symi and it caused real problems for the hotel and its guests. I hope I never experience it again.

Bill
Old Apr 5th, 2008, 12:57 PM

I'll take Italy, thanks.
Old Apr 5th, 2008, 12:59 PM

We do lead sheltered lives these days. MissPrism referred to the jug of water found in Indian toilets, which I experienced on my trip to Rajasthan.

I remember visiting my great-uncle's farm in Wisconsin years ago, and the Pennys catalogue hung on a nail in the outhouse. Compared with that, Greek toilets are quite civilized. ;-)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information