Are there taxis in Burgundian towns?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17th, 2006, 08:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're taking a train from Paris to Dijon, staying about 5 km from Nuits St Georges. Would rather not rent a car for the weekend (and the rates on the net were about $100/day for a compact!). Are there taxis available to take us places 5-20 miles from our hotel? (From our hotel in Flagey Echezeaux we need to get to Domain Ponsot one night and to Clos de Vougeot another night) Are there standard rates per km or rates by the hour? If renting a car is the best way, any suggestions for inexpensive car rental for 3 days?
Old Nov 17th, 2006, 08:34 AM

Hi Robbie,
I found this company http://www.taxis-perrey.com/ which is based in Nuits st Georges, then shouldn't take too much.
There is also http://www.beaunetaxiselva.fr/ but Beaune is further south.
You're closer from Dijon.(Dijon taxis 03 80 41 41 12)
Have a great stay!
coco
Old Nov 17th, 2006, 08:40 AM

In my limited experience, yes, there are taxis available in some Burgundian towns. We were on a canal boat trip on the Saone a couple of years ago, and we wanted to go into the town of Gray for dinner. I went to the one bar in the tiny town where our boat was moored for the night, Mantoche, and asked the bartender, while I had a glass of wine, to call us a taxi. One appeared at the appointed time, and took us into Grey for dinner.

When we had finished, aroud 10:00, we tried to find a taxi, but the bartender in Gray told us all taxis in town had stopped running for the night, and we were out of luck. Luckily, we had taken the card the driver had offered us, and the bartender cheerfully called the guy. The driver stopped watching television at home and came and gave us a ride the 20 km home. We tipped him approprately, as we really were not looking forward to walking all that distance back to the boat the dark.

Later, at the end of the trip, we had the staff in the canal boat rental office call us another local cab to take us from Pontailler-sur-Saone to the train station in Dijon, for our TGV to Paris.

Both of those taxis were new, clean, prompt, and not too expensive. Perhaps Cocofromdijon, a regular on this Forum can give you more particulars.

Have a great trip. I'm sure you will love Burgundy!

Old Nov 17th, 2006, 08:47 AM

Hi Dick! That is a good idea to ask the hotel or a bartender to call a taxi for you, they surely know better!
Old Nov 17th, 2006, 05:19 PM

Nukesafe, we were meandering around Burgundy in late Aug., and ended up in Gray one late afternoon. I'd never heard of it before or since, but it was an interesting little place. Glad somebody else has been there!
Old Nov 17th, 2006, 10:53 PM

Grandmere,

If you are ever back in Gray, do yourself a favor and have a meal at the Restaurant Au Mastroquet in the Hotel Bellevue, 1 Avenue Carnot, just at the Eastern end of the bridge in Grey. We found it to be memorable, for such an out of the way little city.

Old Nov 18th, 2006, 01:26 PM

When we stayed in Dijon a few years ago we found some of the most scenic drives right around there. I would recommend a car, driving was easy and the scenery is beautiful. Also we were able to eat in some cute little restaurants, that otherwise we may not have found.
Old Nov 18th, 2006, 02:30 PM
Original Poster

Wow, Coco and Nukesafe your info is perfect. I will follow up. We drove around Burgundy for a week last June following a barge trip but then the driving from Burgundy to the Loire got too tiring for me. By the time we got back to Paris CDG four days later, I was pooped.
So this time I thought we'd take the TGV from Paris (after a few days of meandering and dining) to Dijon, spend the weekend with our friends who have organized some really special weekend events for/with us, then take the train to Provence and rent a car there for a week.
I spent a memorable week in a villa in Bonnieux with four female friends in '01 a month before I met my, now, husband. He likes city life so I'm thinking we'd base ourselves in Aix, unless there's a better base.
I also want to have some beach time in Cassis. I hear its low key ( I have enjoyed a week in both Cannes and Nice some years back and want something different). Any other ideas?
Old Nov 18th, 2006, 02:55 PM

Sounds like a wonderful trip. Enjoy!