Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

are there any ski-lifts around lake como in june for scenic walks?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 31st, 2006, 01:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

or, any lakeside scenic walks?
Old May 31st, 2006, 03:10 PM

http://www.epinions.com/content_107488644740
Old May 31st, 2006, 04:33 PM

You might look for the book "Italian Lakes, car tours and walks" by Sunflower Landscapes, published in the U.K., authors David Robertson and Sarah Stewart.
Old May 31st, 2006, 07:31 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
There is a winter ski area at Esino Lario in the mountains above Varenna. Between Varenna and Esino Lario are the ruins of a castle and the location of a falconry. It's possible to walk from Varenna to the castle ruins, but it is a steep path that could be hard going in the summer heat. There is bus service from Varenna, so you could choose to just walk down. The views are spectacular. For info on hiking paths in the Varenna area, email the town's tourist office: [email protected].

At Bellano (just north of Varenna) there is a natural gorge (the "Orrido&quot created by the river Pioverna. Gigantic potholes, caves. Really interesting.

If you take the ferry to Colico (north end of the lake), there is the World War I fortress Montecchio Nord with its enormous cannons, the largest in Italy.

From Bellagio, there are several scenic walks for various levels of energy and time. The lakeside road down the western leg of the lake isn't particularly pedestrian-friendly, but it's an otherwise easy walk to San Giovanni (about 30 mins.) where there is a rowing school. Down the eastern leg is Pescallo (about 15 mins.) which you reach by walking over the hill behind the town of Bellagio.

If you really want to do a serious hike, get info from the Bellagio tourist office (across the piazza from the church) about Mulini del Perlo (about 1 hour), for a view of all three branches of the lake and the Alps. For this I would take a cab there and walk back.

Old Jun 1st, 2006, 05:21 PM

The World War I installation is only open a few days a week. (Unless you want to pay the caretaker for a special opening.) This is first hand experience.

If you look at the website Larioonline (search the town by town stuff, northern end) then you will find reference to pass over the mountains into Switzerland. A foot path, no vehicles. I don't know how ambitious of a walker you are.