Are lodging bookings necessary?

Sep 5th, 2000, 07:43 PM
hrichard

Are lodging bookings necessary?

We are planning our Ireland trip for Sept 21 to Oct 5. We would like to just travel around by car and not worry about where we are going to stay for the night until we find a spot we like. Since a lot of the B&B's have less than 10 rooms, is there going to be a problem with not having booked any rooms in advance. We do plan to book a room in Dublin, but that is all.

Holly

Sep 6th, 2000, 08:08 AM
Mike

We were in Ireland this past August, & reaservations @ B&B were a must. It will probably not be absolutely necessary in Sept/Oct., but keep in mind that the more popular inns may be booked & you may have to choose alternates although all the places we stayed were great. If you can plan a day or 2 in advance, you will have no trouble booking rooms.

Sep 6th, 2000, 08:34 AM
clover

Just returned from 2 weeks in Ireland and did not find reservations necessary. There is a great book from the Irish Tourist Board that lists all the B&Bs and hotels - try to get it. We called ahead only a night in advance and had no problem whatsoever. The B&Bs are definitely the best choice - many are quite large (more than 20 rooms) and are about half the price of hotels. Enjoy and don't miss Dingle!

Sep 6th, 2000, 09:06 AM
Thyra

There are two schools of thought on this. Here are some of the pros and cons. If you book now, you can have the ease of knowing where you will be, how much your room will cost, getting near city center or in the countryside, as you prefer. You can choose your price and the amenities you desire, enter a town, get to your room, toss yourstuff down and hit the sights. However you are "locked in" if you get a wild desire to go across the country in the other direction or if someone tells you about a wonderful sight three towns distant, too bad.
If you don't book in advance you can find some really wonderful little places that aren't mentioned in guidebooks, you can travel as you feel. Stay 4 nights in one town and by pass another town that suddenly is not appealing. Tourist info in Ireland is most helpful and it will be easy to book rooms. It all depends on how you want to travel, I would only suggest you get solid reservations in cities like Dublin or Belfast unless you want to spend a fortune.

Sep 10th, 2000, 07:55 AM
John

From now on it is not essential to make reservations. A half-way house solution is to make sure you do not set out each morning unless you have arranged a pillow for the night. It is getting dark earlier now and searching as night closes in can get fraught. Also it's frustrating to miss by a fraction a room where you really would have liked to stay. One more thing...do have a thought about your evening meal; some of the nicest B&Bs can be quite far from restaurants etc., and even if the B&B does meals they do very much appreciate notice. One more mile at the end of a hard day on the road can seem like one too many.

Sep 10th, 2000, 10:41 AM
Cathy

Richard,
All of the above advice is excellent and I only want to add one or two points. If you are hiring a car then also rent a cell phone (mobile phone in Ireland) and use that to book ahead each morning, also ask at the B&Bs where would they recommend (B&Bs ladies have a wonderful informal network). Get that book from the Tourist Board (Bord Failte). also give a thought to trying different places other than B&Bs eg old country houses and farmhouses etc here are some useful web sites www.ireland.travel.ie
www.townandcountry.ie
www.irishfarmholidays.com
www.hidden-ireland.com,
www.irelands-blue-book.ie/
www.ballymaloe.com
www.family-homes.ie
www.jurys.com
www.templehouse.ie

You might like to give them a look at and print off some addresses and then book when you are in Ireland. Pre-book for all major cities especially Dublin, Galway (very popular) and Belfast.
Finally check to see if any of your holiday co-insides with national bank holidays etc and if you plan to be in a popular location then book a day or so in advance. Ditto for festivals,

Have a great time,

Cathy

Sep 10th, 2000, 02:59 PM
Cat

Well, don't know about the B&B's, but I do know that the hotels in October are becoming booked at an alarming rate. I have had three or four places that orginally told me had availabilities - not have them by the time I could respond. I don't know if you would have the same problem with the B&B's, but thought I would warn you anyway!

Sep 11th, 2000, 05:48 AM
Cathy

Cat
Re Hotels many of the major cities have weekend festivals or there are bank holiday weekends etc and lots of business conferences etc so these all account for heavy booking and remember Ireland is very cheap and good value for British people with £stg due to the low value of the Euro. For hotels and special places book ahead otherwise take pot luck,

Cathy