Are Hert and Avis ok to rent in France

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31st, 2009, 09:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last minute booking a car. I have tried autoeurope but have had trouble with car size. We need a minivan, but I prefer the smaller ones to drive around (better for finding parking). Autoeurope can only offer me a full size minivan. Both Avis and Hertz have the type of car I'm looking for (Opel Zafira type). Just wondering if people have had positive experiences with them. The thing that concerns me is that they don't ask for payment upfront. With a gaggle of children, I need to make sure the car I ordered is there.
Old Mar 31st, 2009, 09:47 AM

They are as reliable over there as they are here, IMO, but remember the words "or similar" when renting ANY car from ANY agency.

Have you looked at Auttoeurope's sister company Kemwel?
Old Mar 31st, 2009, 09:54 AM

Have you actually called AutoEurope, or just used their on-line site?? They have contracts with Avis & Hertz, so I'm a little surprised that they can't offer the same cars as Hertz & Avis. You'll probably get better service through AutoEurope than you will with Hertz & Avis in France if the car you book isn't there when you show up to drive it away. On one occasion, the car I booked was not there (we took what thy had available), and when I informed AutoEurope if this on my return, they said to call them next time and they will make sure the car I wanted gets there from some other location/source (airport, another city). You might call the Avis/Hertz/Europcar office the day before your arrival to make sure he car you want is physically there.

Stu Dudley
Old Mar 31st, 2009, 10:02 AM

Not only should you call Autoeurope, you should call the rental company in France before pick up. Unless you're picking up at the airport, most locations keep minimal stock on hand so call to be sure that what you have ordered is available.

I have used Autoeurope for many years and have noticed they have fewer ties with Herz/Avis than they have with other companies. With Herz/Avis I have heard of people paying one way fees if drop off was not at the same office/city as was pickup.
Old Mar 31st, 2009, 10:04 AM

They are realiable - BUT - if you must have a specific vehicle you shou.d relaly rent from a very large office (as in at a major airport) and not very late in the day - to be sureyou get what yuo want. If yuo turn up at a small office an hour before it closes youwill have to choose from wht they have left - just like in the US.
Old Mar 31st, 2009, 04:11 PM
Original Poster

I did call autoeurope. They said that they could not guarantee that I would get the 7-seater which I need. That car class was only guaranteed as a 5 seater. I think I will be ok with my rental in Paris because we will get there at 9am. It is the one in Nice that I am concerned about. I will call them directly. Thank you
Old Mar 31st, 2009, 04:51 PM

So far it has been a good experience renting from Hertz. The only thing I don't like about them is, their garage is smelly.