Search

Are Amalfi beaches open in October?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17th, 2014, 04:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are Amalfi beaches open in October?

Greetings,

We planned on traveling to Italy in September but its looking like my DH will need to get knee surgery this spring so I'm thinking to push our trip into October for more recovery time.

Can anyone tell me if we should expect beaches to be open the week of Oct 4-11? And will ferry service still in full swing?

Thanks!
Old Jan 17th, 2014, 04:27 AM
WWK

Many "beaches" on the Amalfi Coast are bits of sand along coves, or strips of gravel, even a cement pier. Just wanted to make that clear in case you were expecting something else. It may be that some areas of the small town beaches close in October, but I highly doubt it.

I am not sure when the ferries switch to their reduced winter schedule, but you can check online.
Old Jan 17th, 2014, 04:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've stayed further south in the Castellabate area in both September and October. The ferry service operates as fas south as Palinuro in summer, but tend to stop about mid September. It is probably different for the Amalfi coast, but you may see a reduced Ferry service.

In addition, in Castellabate several restaurants/shops seem to take the first two weeks of October as holiday.

Whether this
Old Jan 17th, 2014, 07:03 AM
ira

Hi ye,

> my DH will need to get knee surgery this spring so I'm thinking to push our trip into October for more recovery time.

You are aware that the AC is very hilly, that in most cases the beach is a strip of gravel at the bottom of a cliff?

Are you sure that the AC in the off season is where a person recovering from knee surgery will enjoy himself?

Old Jan 17th, 2014, 07:04 AM
ira

PS

Do you have accommodations?
Old Jan 17th, 2014, 07:21 AM

Well I think a germane question is if there are any beaches will it be warm enough at that time to swim - if not the question is irrelevant.
Old Jan 17th, 2014, 07:42 AM
ekc

The beaches were still "open" in October when we were there 2 years ago. If I remember correctly, the ferries stop running at the end of October along the AC. You can check the schedule (and email them) at www. coopsantandrea.com
Old Jan 17th, 2014, 07:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Casteballate area is just across the Gulf of Salerno from the AC, and I have always found the water to be perfectly OK for swimming in the trips I have made in October.
Old Jan 17th, 2014, 08:58 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the intel ekc & willit! Do you happen to know how the water is? We aren't much for swimmers but I do like to dip in just once because it seems sacrilegious not to! Chair rental and open cafes are what's most important.
Old Jan 17th, 2014, 09:14 AM

WWK and ira gave a good description of Amalfi coast beaches. Due to the cliffs and mountains behind them, many of them are in the shade from abaout 2.30pm (in October).

The water is warm enough, but the air may be a little cold (some wind cannot be excluded). Beaches popular with people from Northern Europe and overseas are usually open in October, those used by Italians only close usually in mid September.

If you are looking for a good sandy beach (not only rocjks and gravels) where is still some life, check Marina di Camerota, a bit south of Palermo and Paestum.
Old Jan 17th, 2014, 09:22 AM
ekc

Chair rentals are still available and the water was fine for me. The main beach in Positano doesn't lose the sun as early as the previous poster mentioned. If you go to the Positano Daily Photo blog, you can see for yourself.

If you ask nicely, they will deliver fresh pizza and a bottle of wine to you on the beach while you are lounging in your (rented) chairs.
Old Jan 17th, 2014, 12:40 PM
Original Poster

Great, thank you for the insights, very helpful.

I always ask nicely, just as I was taught to do