spanish steps area

near piazza novana?

thanks, tania
Old Feb 28th, 2007, 03:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
P. Navonna, Pantheon or Campo dei Fiori
Old Mar 1st, 2007, 02:07 AM

They are all fantastic. Walking distance to just about everything. The only bonus for the Spanish Steps area is that it has the Metro line A very close. It is also very expensive though, getting a coffee, lunch, or anything in the area would be considerably more than most other areas of Rome (which are not cheap, you have probably heard).
How many days will you have in Rome?
Old Mar 1st, 2007, 03:29 AM

I would definitely choose anywhere near Campo dei Fiori. The historic centre is busy everywhere, but the Spanish Steps area I find to be more touristy. With the Campo you have working food and flower markets which means you get more of a sense of 'living' in Italy and it is a wonderfully historic area.
Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 12:45 PM
Original Poster

We will be in Rome 5 nights. I'm so looking forward to this.

The apartment is "Cappolleri", is anyone familiar with this, near
Piazza Navona.
Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 01:04 PM

Our flat off the Campo dei Fiori was on via dei Cappellari. Could that be the street you mean?
Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 01:17 PM
Original Poster

actually we are considering
wwwvrbo.com/21717

is this on via de cappalleri?
Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 01:47 PM

That's where we stayed in Rome! Here is my review that is posted on slowtrav.com (there are several other reviews of the same flat there, too):

Our family of five spent six nights in the one bedroom apartment at Via dei Cappellari 60 in Rome, Italy (VRBO # 21717) in late May, 2006. We were unable to finalize our travel plans until March, so most of the air conditioned apartments were already booked. This one was available at a reasonable cost, so I grabbed it.

The flat is located about two blocks off the Campo dei Fiori, which is a terrific, very central location. No matter how late at night it was, we could always find a gelato shop open on the Campo.

The apartment has a large entry way, living room with sofa sleeper, kitchen, bathroom, and large bedroom with a queen sized bed and a single bed. I thought our family might feel cramped, but as we didn't spend a whole lot of time there, we had plenty of room. The furnishings are decent - nothing fancy but nothing awful. (The sofa sleeper should be replaced, however.) No English language stations on the TV. The bathroom has a shower only. There is a clothes line outside of the bathroom window that I made use of. The towels provided were huge. (Bring your own wash cloths if you need them.) Shower gel and tiny bars of soap are provided.

The kitchen was stocked with a mixed assortment of silverware, glasses, plates and bowls, but not really enough for five people to eat a full meal on. (It was okay, because we just used the kitchen for breakfast and snacks.) We appreciated the tea bags and sugar that were in the cupboard.

Clothes storage is in two large armoires in the bedroom. There wasn't quite enough drawer space and I was glad I brought some of my own hangers. There were two blow dryers in a desk drawer but I didn't try them out to see if they worked. I admit that I shied away from charging our electronics here, as some of the small appliances in the flat even used adapters.

We were all in all very pleased with the flat and its location, but I will say that the method of payment was a pain and added quite a bit to the price. One can only tender a deposit on the flat by Western Union, which charges quite steep fees. Upon arrival, payment is due to the landlord in person, in cash (we had to delay our touring for over an hour while waiting for him to arrive). I was pretty understanding of all of this, thinking that maybe the owner just isn't familiar with Pay Pal or how to take credit cards....but once there, I found out that the man with who we had been dealing was merely the manager for an owner who lives in New Orleans. We could have saved quite a bit of money and effort if the owner would have accepted credit cards or Pay Pal. (Maybe that is why the flat was available.)

When we arrived, we couldn't figure out how to work the air conditioner. The manager said that the remote needed new batteries and that he would buy some. As it turned out, the weather became quite cool, so we are unable to confirm whether or how well the air conditioner works.

We had the hardest time finding any type of grocery store. We could get all the fresh produce we wanted in the Campo dei Fiori, but we had to search for milk and cereal. If you rent this apartment and need a grocery store, walk to the Corso Vittorio Emanuele and turn left (toward the Vatican) - the store is maybe six blocks down.

Over all, the flat was a good choice for our family.

Old Mar 4th, 2007, 01:45 PM
Original Poster

Its amazing we are thinking of the same unit. thank you for your input.