? about staying in Trastevere in Rome

Aug 14th, 2005, 01:29 PM
SAB
Original Poster

? about staying in Trastevere in Rome

My sister has located an apt for us in rent in Rome in the Trastevere area--which I admit I'm not familiar with. What are the pros and cons of this area? I was looking into the Plaza Navarone area because of location.
Aug 14th, 2005, 01:47 PM

For years many have said that Trastevere is the "real" Rome, where Romans live, and not overrun with tourists. My past few visits to Trastevere, at least the central part of it filled with restaurants, has seemed far more filled with American tourists than just about any other area of Rome -- including Piazza Navona.

I really laughed when I was looking at a website for a rental apartment near Campo Fiori which advertised something like "in the real Rome, not in over toursity Trastevere".

I'm not saying that Trastevere still isn't filled with Romans who live there, but the idea of it being removed from touristy Rome is way off these days, particularly at night when tourists flock there for the restaurants -- maybe less so during the daytimes. The main drawback is that it is further from the usual "sites" of historic Rome, but not by far. Main advantage? It still tends to be much cheaper than other, more "central" areas.
Aug 14th, 2005, 01:59 PM

Well, I disagree a little with Patrick. When we were in Rome in June it seemed to me that Trastevere had a pretty big young after-work type crowd there for drinking and dinner, where as the Piazza Novana area had almost all tourists. (Note that many of the tourists are, in fact, Italians as well as other Europeans.) That's not to say there weren't lots of tourists - but that was true everywhere in Rome. The restaurants were definitely cheaper (and better, I thought) though. The person we rented our apt from (who lives in Rome) strongly urged us to leave Campo de Fiori area and eat in Trastevere.
Aug 14th, 2005, 02:22 PM

A "pro" is that apartments are less expensive there than in the centro storico.
Aug 14th, 2005, 02:24 PM

I think the other point is that Trastevere is a large area and some parts are better than others - we stayed in an apartment in Trastevere that was right by Ponte Sisto - so it was very close to Campo Di Fiori, etc.

It wasn't very touristy - but it was January and February! So maybe not a good judge....we loved the area and would strongly recommend it. I would suggest the apartment we rented but it's really only appropriate for a couple as it has a queen size bed.

Aug 14th, 2005, 02:54 PM
SAB
Original Poster

The apartment is on Via Casini--anyone know this area--seems very residential to me.
Aug 14th, 2005, 02:59 PM
SAB
Original Poster

Sorry where are my manners--thank you Patrick, et al. for responding so quickly.
Aug 14th, 2005, 03:07 PM

Is this the apartment?

http://www.sleepinitaly.com/files/apt_casini.html

It's a lovely area as I recall.....very residential as you say....but not as convenient as other locations nearer the river however there is a street car that runs along Via de Trastevere across the river to Largo Argentina - and from there most main sites are an easy walk.

Hope this helps....
Aug 14th, 2005, 03:12 PM

In case you want to map it, it is Via Filippo Casini.

It is hard to give an opinion without knowing what your desires and priorities are. Staying there will allow you to, if you want, explore Trastevere in-depth. It is an area of Rome I have always wanted to learn more about, and there are a number of churches and attractions to exlpore there.

As the prior poster said, it is a large area of Rome. I looked at the street and it is not just over the Ponte Sisto, so getting from your location to the Centro Storico is not super-easy.

It may well be that a great apartment in Trastevere may be better than a lesser one in Piazza Navona. You will likely wind up spending your days in other parts of Rome, and then when you return to your apartment, you can take advantage of the wonderful restaurants and cafes in Trastevere.

I guess I am not being helpful....there are so many other factors like price and amenities that I don't know about. I think it would be a good for you to get a good guide book on Rome and it will help you decide if this is a good location for your stay.
Aug 14th, 2005, 03:12 PM

Forgot to mention - if you haven't already, go to www.slowtrav.com - there are many reviews of apartments in Rome.....this might be a link to the review page - or it might take you by default to the home page....if so follow the links to: Italy - Vacation Rentals - Vacation Rentals Reviews - Rome.....

http://www.slowtrav.com/italy/vr/lis...wnumber&r=Rome
Aug 14th, 2005, 04:04 PM
hdm

We stayed at the Hotel San Francesco in the Trastevere area and liked it very much (both the hotel and the area). This was our first trip to Rome so I can't say if it was more filled with tourists than in the past but it certainly felt like 'real Rome' to me. We were a few steps away from the tram that took us to the Campo Fiori/Piazza Navona area (a short ride -- about 4 tram stops)and often just walked across one of the bridges to central Rome which gave us a chance to explore small streets along the way. Several times we had dinner in our own neighbourhood and began to feel like we really lived there. We even had our 'regular' fruit stand where we stopped to buy water and snacks when we got off the tram. I'm a city-girl and love downtown wherever I go, but I must say that whenever I saw a another, more centrel hotel that I'd considered, I was really glad we'd chosen the one in Trastevere.
Aug 14th, 2005, 04:19 PM
SAB
Original Poster

Elizabeth --yes, this is the apartment, thanks everyone for their responses. I'm still not sure I want to stay in the Trastevere, especially away from the river but I really appreciate the feedback.
Aug 15th, 2005, 06:56 AM

For a first visit to Rome,I recommend staying near Piazza Navona/Campo dei Fiori or the Pantheon. I rented an apartment in Trastevere for a month this winter(my fourth time in Rome) and while I enjoyed the neighborhood,it's not as convenient to all of the sites and public transportation as Piazza Navona is.
Aug 15th, 2005, 08:55 AM

I would recommend the Trastevere as a place to stay in Rome, but I think you should find an apartment closer to the Ponte Sisto. We stayed in the following apartment for two weeks last year and I posted on it before:
http://www.rome-accom.com/eng/trastevere/luceA.shtml
Unfortunately that apartment is just one bedroom but they have others. It was located just off the Viale di Trastevere near the Ponte Sisto. We picked it for the rooftop terrace but the location was great.

I think it's the best part of the Trastevere: the winding streets, some very good restaurants, and within easy walking distance to almost everything. For convenience, there was a grocery store/department store two blocks away and a post office nearby; in the same block there was a taxi stand, tram stop, and tourist office.

Anyway, it's a thought. The main thing I would suggest is that if the Trastevere appeals to you, try to stay as close to the northern edge as you can.
Aug 15th, 2005, 08:36 PM

We stayed in the Trastevere in May'04. It was our first visit to Rome and we loved it! We stayed at the Hotel Santa Maria. We really enjoyed it, and to be honest I didn't see many tourists, there were many Itallian tourist maybe?Trastevere is a great place with great restaurants. We always rode the bus or took the rail, we really enjoyed it. We had to walk to the main streets, but it was never more than a 5 minute walk, and would then take the bus, we really enjoyed walking across the river though. We were away from all the tourist areas, and crowds. During the day, Trastevere is a very quiet neighborhood, in the morning people are rushing off to work, and at night Trastevere comes alive! After a long day of museums and Colloseum visits, we really enjoyed coming to Trastevere, taking a nap, shower and then going out in the evening. We really enjoyed drinking wine, eating, and walking around enjoying our trip. Every day seemed like a weekend! I will be returning to Rome next year and will definitely stay in Trastevere again. I really enjoyed the area. I say go for it!
Aug 16th, 2005, 05:41 AM

I forgot to mention- Trastevere is a loaded with tourists as anywhere else in Rome. Lots of exchange students from the U.S. stay here too,so there's a bit of the drunk kid factor to consider!

If you're really looking for the new hip upcoming neighborhood with few tourists,check out Testaccio!
Aug 16th, 2005, 06:08 AM

We stayed in the area last March at the Hotel Santa Maria. I loved the fact that it felt like you were coming home after a long day of walking and visiting the major tourist attractions. As soon as I walked over the bridge, I just felt like I could relax again.
Aug 16th, 2005, 12:41 PM
SAB
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your replies. Not looking for the new, hip place to stay--I live in SF and get enough of that sensibility here; just looking for a comfortable and convenient apt. Not necessarily looking for cheap but we are trying to stay under $200 a night since we are renting a fairly expensive villa in Sorrento for two weeks after we leave Rome. I had not really looked into the Trastevere until sis came up with some suggestions. As I said not familiar with area so I don't know if it is better to look at places near the river or if there are places that would be too inconvenient. Last time we went we were only there for a couple of days and we stayed by the Via Veneto which was pretty convenient.