April Weather in London

Search

April Weather in London

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6th, 2008, 04:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
April Weather in London

My daughter and I are visiting London from April 2nd to April 7th. This will be our first trip and we are very excited, but I have a couple of questions. Most important, can anyone tell me what the weather is generally like that time of year. I'm trying to figure out what to pack. Spring in the states is so unpredictable, and I'm assuming it is the same there. Should I just pack a little bit of everything?

Also, if anyone has suggestions on "must do" activities for a 10 year old girl, I'd love to hear them. I have done some research on the major attractions, but I'd like to hear ideas/suggestions from the group! I really want this to be a special trip for her!
Thanks!
Old Mar 6th, 2008, 05:40 AM

It could be dry or wet, or cold or warm, windy or quite calm. I'm not trying to be frivolous, but your own word unpredictable is good. I've known snow in June and cut my grass on New Year's Day over the years.

I recommend the London Eye early on to get the lie of the land and the chance to gaze down on the Mother of Parliaments. I always used to enjoy the Science Museum in Kensington at that age. Legoland, near Windsor, could be an option. Have a good time, best of luck!

Old Mar 6th, 2008, 05:49 AM

Weather will be unpredictable and changeable. As stfc said it could be dry, wet, cold, warm, windy or calm or all of the above ALL on the SAME day.
My friend said "this week was warm and sunny so maybe we've had 'summer' already!!"

I recommend the Eye on a clear day (keep your fingers crossed).
Old Mar 6th, 2008, 08:33 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
&quot;<i>Spring in the states is so unpredictable,</i>&quot; Multiply that by 10 and you'll get the idea.

But that doesn't mean you have to take huge amounts of stuff. Think layers and mix and match. Plus an umbrella and raincoat/jacket
Old Mar 6th, 2008, 08:43 AM

It is unlikely to be much below freezing - snow in April does happen but is rare. It is also unlikely to be much more than low 60s.

It will rain at some point.

The English are famous for talking about the weather. There is a reason for this - it is a source of endless fascination to us as it basically just does what it wants.
Old Mar 6th, 2008, 11:29 AM

We were there at the same time in April in 2005. It was freezing cold and rainy. Definitely pack a warm, waterproof jacket and sweater. I bought an umbrella off a street vendor for 3 pounds. Was easier than packing one!

I don't remember it ever really warming up for us on that particular trip, but I'm sure layers will come in handy.
Old Mar 6th, 2008, 11:59 AM

London is one of my favorite cities, and I agree with the above posters about the unpredictability of the weather. I usually go in May or September, and the weather is usually pretty nice, but some years are rainier and colder than others.

You may want to check accuweather.com before you go. Click on &quot;World Weather&quot; and type in London, United Kingdom. You can get a forecast of up to 15 days. This will give you a better idea of what to expect.

Enjoy your trip!
Old Mar 6th, 2008, 04:43 PM

We were in London most of April, 2007 and never once had our umbrellas out. Spent almost every afternoon walking in one or another park enjoying the flowers.
We're going back this year, still packing our umbrellas, gloves, and the obligatory layers. The water-resistant trench coat that fits over the blazer that fits over the sweater that fits over the shirt takes all possible weather permutations into consideration.
Old Mar 6th, 2008, 08:36 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the help! I really appreciate it!