Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

April in Paris - Good idea or likely to be rained out?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18th, 2014, 10:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I (late 30s) are debating a trip to Paris the first week of April for a one weel getaway. I am a bit concerned about the weather. Are the odds in my favor that it will be reasonable?

Also any suggestions for short excursions from Paris? I was thinking of two nights in Reims? or maybe the Loire Valley?
Old Jan 18th, 2014, 10:58 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
who knows what the weather will be in Paris is April. Do you know what the weather's going to be like for the equivalent week where you live?

when my DH worked there about 30 years ago, my memory is that it was perishing cold til May, but equally in other years we have enjoyed spectacularly good weather in April. however, if it does rain, there are plenty of things to do indoors to keep you going for a week.

of course you could do what you call a "short" 2 day excursion, but as if it would appear you've never been to Paris before, day trips might be more like it. The obvious one is Versailles which you don't need to plan unless you want to buy tickets in advance [not a bad idea if you want to avoid the queues at the ticket office when you get there].

you can also do a day trip to Reims, which you wouldn't need to plan in advance - the train takes about an hour from Paris-Est - here's the timetable:

http://www.voyages-sncf.com/billet-t...ultats?hid=AYQ

Personally on a first trip I would leave the Loire to another time.
Old Jan 18th, 2014, 11:37 PM

The odds are just the same as any other month. Rain can happen any time of the year in Western Europe, so this is a risk you simply have to face no matter when you visit.
Old Jan 19th, 2014, 12:24 AM

I have traveled to Paris in every season and it has rained there on every trip, but not every day and not all day. It's a great city rain or not.
Old Jan 19th, 2014, 02:18 AM

It was over 70 that week in 2011 but we had sleet last year in late May. Go figure.

It's great whatever the weather.
Old Jan 19th, 2014, 03:41 AM

I live not very far from Paris and I am enjoying the same climate. In April, you can have everything, from cold rain to bright springlike weather - and often you have it on the same day. Sleet is very unlikely, but, yes, it can happen - once in ten years or so.

So be prepared for everything: dress in layers, take a light rain jacket with you and a foldable, super-light umbrella.

But however the weather will be - you will have a great time in Paris. If you encounter a rainshower, just go into a museum until the rain stops. Or in a café.

Also, do not overplan. Make a list of everything you want to see and structure your itinerary according to the weather. Do not do the boat trip on the Seine on a rainy day and do not go into the Louvre when you have bright sunshine.

Regarding side trips from Paris:

My first priority would be Versailles (for a daytrip). It is a must-see.

For an overnight trip, I would recommend the Loire. There is a direct TGV connection to Tours which takes just a little bit over an hour. At the Loire, you will find a plethora of magnificent castles, including Chambord, Chenanceau, Azay-le-Rideau, just to name a few. You will enjoy it.
Old Jan 19th, 2014, 04:47 AM

IF you decide on a day trip while you visit Paris (carrying your umbrella in your day bag), play it by ear. Have ONE day trip in mind and IF you feel you want to have a day away from the most amazing city in the world, then go. You just may not have time. ;o)
Old Jan 19th, 2014, 05:03 AM

We went early May and it was beautiful but the weather patterns are so off the wall these days. Airfare is cheaper and it won't be hot. I would rather it be chilly than hot since there is not much with ac.I picked an apartment with ac last year in Florence but didn't know it wasn't turned on till June...It was hot and buggy with just the windows open. Paris is probably the same way. Does anyone know?
Old Jan 19th, 2014, 05:22 AM

Weather is still likely to be uneven that early in the mongth. I would do the end of April or May for better chances of nice temps.

That said, I have never done a trip of more than a couple of days in europe (exept southern Spain) without some - and someimtes a lot of precip - in more than 60 vacation trips.

Also - in all those vacations there were only 2 or 3 days when we had to change plans due to rain (since we weren't camping or hiking) and you are much more likely to get mist or drizzle than downpours.

Just bring a small folding umbrella and ignore the rain.
Old Jan 19th, 2014, 05:48 AM

As everyone advises, it is impossible to predict the weather in Paris so far ahead. So go - Paris is wonderful even in the rain. We have been in late April and the weather was variable - some rain, some sun, some grey days. But it's Paris and you will love it. Our favorite day trip from Paris is Chartres. There are lots of options but a week in Paris only scratches the surface so you may not want to leave at all.
Old Jan 19th, 2014, 05:50 AM

In Paris a good rainy day activity is of course the museums, BUT a stroll through the Passages can be quite magical.
Old Jan 19th, 2014, 05:58 AM

I read somewhere that the reason the song's called "April in Paris" is "May in Paris" didn't quite work. But the lyricist meant "May."
Old Jan 19th, 2014, 06:00 AM

If you want ideas for day trips from Paris you can have a look at this thread where I posted my list of most popular Paris day trips:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic....html#55326956
Old Jan 19th, 2014, 06:40 AM

A few words about Reims:

I have been there just a few weeks ago. Reims has basically two attractions: The Cathedral and the Champagne caves.

The Cathedral has historic significance, because the French kings were crowned there. It is a fine gothic cathedral, but in Paris you will see Notre-Dame and Sainte-Chapelle which is probably the finest gothic church at all.

For me, the main reason to visit Reims are the Champagne caves. The big wineries offer tours through the chalk caves and tastings. If this appeals to you, you can easily do a daytrip to Reims (48 minutes by train). Staying overnight in Reims is probably not worth the hassle of transporting baggage and changing the hotel.
Old Jan 19th, 2014, 06:47 AM

My general rule is to make room in your luggage for a really good umbrella, and watch it not rain. And if it does, at least you have a good umbrella. From my experience, April is a rainy month, plain and simple. Be pleasantly surprised if you don't get much rain during the week you are there. Weather is almost always a roll of the dice, especially these days.
Old Jan 19th, 2014, 06:54 AM

chances are 50/50 and slim for many really sunny days...but unless it is pouring rain should be fine.Second the "really good umbrella" tip.
Old Jan 19th, 2014, 08:31 AM

-Weather is almost always a roll of the dice, especially these days.-

Exactly. I was in Paris for that hot April in 2011 (it was like summer the whole month). Went back in June and it may as well have been winter. My last visit (September) I had this grand plan of lots of picnics which was shattered by some truly crap weather until my very last day. You just never know.
Old Jan 19th, 2014, 09:10 AM

It is not true that the weather and rain are equally likely any month of the year, there are patterns and some months are definitely rainier than others. April is rainier, on average, than June-Sept but it's not the worst month, and is a little better than March. Yes, it does rain on average slightly more than half the days in April, but that isn't that unusual in Paris and isn't as bad as it raining 80-90 pct of the time.
Old Jan 19th, 2014, 10:29 AM

Here is a link to the climate records for Paris: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paris#Climate As you can see, it is going to rain, but then it is going to rain in every month in Paris. As you will also see, it will probably be cold, with not many sunny days.
Old Jan 19th, 2014, 10:48 AM

As a resident of Western Europe I warn you to set too much trust in weather statistics...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -