Appropriate footwear?

Dec 14th, 2012, 09:35 PM
Original Poster

Appropriate footwear?

I am planning for my 1st trip to Europe, which includes 5 days in Paris, 5 days in Perpignan, 5 days in Dublin & 5 days in London this June. I have drop foot in both my feet & wear orthotics & braces in order to get around. The friend I'm going with who has traveled quite a bit, says that I can't wear them in Europe because they are not acceptable and/or fashionable & that I won't be allowed in many places...so now I'm fretting that rather than getting around freely, I'll be stumbling all over the place.

Can anyone give me the real scoop, whether I can or can't? Everything I read says no white tennis shoes & that they are very fashion conscious, but my braces will only fit in laced up walking/running shoes. (they aren't white, they're actually black, if that matters) .

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Dec 14th, 2012, 09:39 PM

Your friends a fool! It doesn't matter... You wear what's comfortable, for you.
Dec 14th, 2012, 09:40 PM

Actually, that should be "your friend is a fool!".
Dec 14th, 2012, 09:43 PM

You'll be fine! You'll even see people In white running shoes.

Sorry but your friend sounds like an insensitive jerk!
Dec 14th, 2012, 09:57 PM

B.S.!!! I don't care how much your friend has traveled...

Wear what allows you to go where you want to go, see what you want to see, with the most comfort possible.

Have a great trip!
Dec 14th, 2012, 10:01 PM

"The friend I'm going with who has traveled quite a bit, says that I can't wear them in Europe because they are not acceptable and/or fashionable & that I won't be allowed in many places..."

That is so absolutely ridiculous - UNBELIEVABLE!!

OK - and I mean this seriously: Do you really want to travel w/ such a clueless putz?

It sounds more like the 'friend' is embarrassed to be seen w/ you. S/he is a total idiot.
Dec 14th, 2012, 10:24 PM

It's your feet. And your shoes. You are the one who has to walk in the shoes. Wear what you feel comfortable in. It is NOT fun to walk anywhere if your feet hurt.

If you want to go to upscale restaurants that won't let people inside with running shoes I guess you can wear nice shoes for that one evening and take a taxi to the restaurant. For the rest of the time it is better to be sensible and comfortable.
Dec 14th, 2012, 10:25 PM

I am not going to make any judgment calls on your friend, who I have never met, but agree that no-one cares about your shoes. Comfy shoes are most important for an enjoyable visit to Europe.
Dec 14th, 2012, 10:43 PM

"If you want to go to upscale restaurants that won't let people inside with running shoes I guess you can wear nice shoes for that one evening and take a taxi to the restaurant."

Absolutely unnecessary. No restaurant would turn away a diner in braces because they had the 'wrong' footwear.

"I am not going to make any judgment calls on your friend, who I have never met,"

I don't need to meet someone to know that telling a friend >>I can't wear them in Europe because they are not acceptable and/or fashionable & that I won't be allowed in many places...<< means she is clueless or maybe has a screw loose.

kiv427: You'll laugh about this when you get to Europe - you will see every sort of footwear imaginable.
Dec 14th, 2012, 11:03 PM

I think I'd prefer to say that OP's friend has been seriously misinformed somehow. Someday it might be interesting to find out how it could have happened, but as one who lives here, let me say that orthotics, braces and the like are not exactly unknown here. One of my neighbours (male) has had a long-term foot problem. much helped by special orthotic shoes, which look from the outside like any other plain black lace-ups.

Who goes round looking at anyone else's feet, for heaven's sake? In the unlikely event of anyone taking any notice of such thing, such a place isn't worthy of your custom anyway, and there will be plenty of others.
Dec 14th, 2012, 11:27 PM
Original Poster

Thank-you all so much. I feel so much better. I have only recently been fitted for these braces, in order to help my ability to walk without falling...to me they look rather like Forrest Gump braces but my son told me to just wear a striped long-sleeved shirt and that people will think I play soccer. I do believe that my friend (and she is a good friend) was just trying to save me any embarrassment but believe me...falling flat on my face is way more embarrassing than wearing my braces, which actually have allowed me to return to walking without further injuring my back and hip (I don't have feeling in my feet so they just help the front of my foot lift up).

I will take the advice of wearing appropriate shoes to go along with a dress but for everyday walking, I'm glad to hear that I don't have to worry.

Thanks again and although it's far off...I'll report back so you all know how it went!
k
Dec 14th, 2012, 11:52 PM

I don't know where your friend has traveled but you need to wear shoes that will work for you.

Many people world over have problems and wear equipment when they are blessed to have the equipment.

While white running shoes are really outdated there are some pretty cute shoes that lace up.

Would a mary jane type work for you?

http://www.zappos.com/biom-natural-m...mperial-purple

Have you considered a modern day shoe to wear with dark jeans?

http://www.zappos.com/cole-haan-alis...me=zap_pdp_acc

Or a leather lace up?
http://www.zappos.com/born-arletta-c...me=zap_pdp_sub
Dec 14th, 2012, 11:59 PM

Well, how about these? The don't lace but seem like they may adjust.

http://www.zappos.com/clarks-kessa-b...dp_sub#prdInfo

I'm sure you're friend meant well but sometimes a little direction is better than scaring you.
Dec 15th, 2012, 12:10 AM

http://www.zappos.com/naot-footwear-...me=zap_pdp_sub

Sounds like you'll be wearing the brace for awhile so you'll want to find a way to "rock" an oxford
Dec 15th, 2012, 01:23 AM

Your friend is freaking nuts, no matter what her intentions. I am an OLD Paris hand and just came back from a trip there where I was on crutches, with a brace, and nobody blinked...in fact, people were double-kind to me everywhere. EVERYWHERE. No questions asked. Parisians are incredibly sensitive to handicaps, as I found out. I'll be going back in March, probably with a brace and ugly shoe on the left foot at least also, and expect nothing but kindness and welcoming attitudes on the part of Parisians all over the city.

Don't give it a thought.
Dec 15th, 2012, 01:30 AM

Feet can be such a problem when travelling so be comfortable and wear whatever you find the best for you.."A friend???" for how long will this be the case.??? don't even consider buying new ones as you may increase your problems..You own you part of the the world so enjoy it!!!!
Dec 15th, 2012, 03:03 AM

If your Friend is too embarrassed to be seen with you being comfortable then travel Solo. The problem is not yours it's theirs.
Dec 15th, 2012, 05:56 AM

Agree that your friend is an idiot.

This is not an issue of fashion - but of health - and you should wear whatever shoes are most comfortable with braces, as would any european with the same problem.

Don;t know how far you can walk, but we find that in european cities we often do 8 or 10 miles per day - although the older we get the more often we take short cabs rides between sights. So comfort is paramount. And if you're not lucky enough to be comfortable while wearing cute walking shoes - then wear what works for you.

It's true that giant white clown sneakers are not the height of fashion (frankly they're not the fashion here either, except for kids or someone actually running) but health trumps fashion every time.
Dec 15th, 2012, 06:05 AM

My advice is to wear the shoes you feel comfortable walking around in at home. If you must buy new footware for the trip, give them a good tryout before you leave home. No sense waiting until you get to Europe to find out they aren't good to walk in.

In politically correct Britain no one would dare turn away a customer wearing braces, and if they did, they would probably be committing an offence. No one gives a hoot what kind of shoes you are wearing.
Dec 15th, 2012, 06:59 AM

We don't know how the friend actually put this or what the OP is usually given to wear. She's not judging her friend maybe we shouldn't either.

Seriously, if you were going on a trip don't you want to look your best? Even if you're not traveling.

The brace will be an issue for the OP otherwise she wouldn't have mentioned it, she would have blown off her friend from the jump.

Look into some options so you'll be comfortable.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO