Reload this Page >

Appreciate any advice

Search

Appreciate any advice

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26th, 2002, 02:55 PM
Lori

Appreciate any advice

I've never been to Europe. Don't know if I'll ever make it again, but we are looking at a 2 week trip next summer. Husband, wife, and 2 teenage daughters. We enjoy the outdoors, but also cities. Probably take a pass on musuems, but good eating is a must. We've talked about Ireland, Austria, Germany, Italy, and Greece. Somehow I don't think 2 weeks will do it. What is not to be missed?

Old Dec 26th, 2002, 03:00 PM
xxx

&quot;I've never been to Europe. Don't know if I'll ever make it again...&quot; Have you been or have you not been. I'm confused. <BR><BR>Ask yourself why you want to go to a country in Europe vs. going to the Rockies or the Grand Canyon.

Old Dec 26th, 2002, 03:02 PM
selena

Italy would be my choice. Dont try to go to more than 1 country. It will exhaust you and you wont have time to stop and smell the roses. I would do Venice, Florence, Rome and the Amalfi.<BR>Everyone in your family will love it...

Old Dec 26th, 2002, 03:18 PM
karen

Take a deep breath. Now look at your interests -- what do you like to do? That is where to start. Next -- try to picture doing the US and Canada in two weeks -- pretty crazy -- you will spend all your time traveling and not doing or enjoying. Personally, I try not to pack and move everyday -- I try to spend 2-3 nights at every place. Otherwise you will spend more time packing and moving than enjoying. That said, I would look for 3-5 places to go in that time. You have 4 people in your group -- maybe everyone could pick a place. Also -- look at airfare -- sometimes you can go into one city and out of another for not a lot of difference but if there is a difference you may decide you have to go back to the city you arrived at -- then you have to look at a circle and that will cut out some possibilities.<BR><BR>Go to the bookstore and just read about places you think you would like. Do a list of places and their corresponding activities -- and rank them. What is most important to you? Go for it.

Old Dec 26th, 2002, 06:39 PM
John

Hi Lori,<BR><BR>Two weeks is a short period of time to 'experience Europe'.<BR><BR>Based upon your initial comments you may want to consider a somewhat logistically consolidated tour that covers portions of Italy, Germany and Austria (three of your choices.<BR><BR>Fly into Rome.<BR><BR>Arrival Day + Day 1,2,3 - Rome (take train from Rome to Venice morning of Day 4)<BR>Day 4,5,6 - Venice (Take train from Venice to Munich - night train with sleeper)<BR>Day 7,8 - Munich (rent car morning of Day 9)<BR>Day 9,10,11 - Drive Romantic Road in Germany starting North, Munich to Rothenburg Au Taber and South through Wurzburg to Fussen.<BR>Day 12,13,14 - Drive from Fussen to Garmisch to Innsbruck to Salzburg and return to Munich.<BR><BR>Fly home from Munich.<BR><BR>This is a super trip with city and country highlights. You would experience a variety of cultures, life-styles, and a 'taste' of very different scenery.<BR><BR>It is not possible to list all of the things not to be missed. Suggest you map out the areas and then research, research, research all the things available that may be of interest to you and your family. After that post again to shorten your 'must see' list.<BR><BR>Have a great anniversary.

Old Dec 26th, 2002, 10:46 PM
buzzee

Why don't you go to Greece? Tons of stuff to do outside like hiking and swimming. Good food. Tons of ruins. Every island has a different flavor. The girls won't break you with shopping.<BR><BR>Italy is a shopper's paradise. It depends on how your girls are. If they are into clothes at all Italy would be a fabulous dream come true. The place is gaga with museums but it is almost more instructional to watch the people. After all they are watching you, especially in Rome. And isn't this what the trip is about? Experiencing another culture while there are still cultures and traditions to be treasured?<BR><BR>However, you can get the same historical feel from the outdoors ruins. Spend a week in Rome. Then jump on a train to Venice for a couple of days. Or spend a week in the Lake Como Region or spend a week in Sicily. You will have totally different experiences in all places and you will feel like you have been to 2 different countries.<BR><BR>By the way I agree with Selena. I hate moving every 2 or 3 days myself. It is better to be anchored somewhere.<BR><BR>Good luck.<BR><BR>Buzzee