Reload this Page >

Italy in May/ Fly and Drive

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26th, 2002, 04:03 PM
Sharon

We're planning on going to Italy for our 20th Wedding Anniversary Mid May of 2003. We are doing the fly/drive package. We will book our own hotels. We plan on 9 or 10 nights. Should we fly into Rome or Venice? How many nights in the three big cities (Rome/Florence/Venice). Any tips on Hotels or driving? Any side trips or things we should stop and see along the way? We don't want to spend a fortune on the hotels.

Old Dec 26th, 2002, 06:15 PM
John

Hi Sharon,<BR><BR>Suggest you fly in/out the city with the more comfortable rates.<BR><BR>Given 9 or 10 days in Rome/Florence/Venice you may want to consider NOT having an auto rental. It is useless (read a burden) in Venice and Rome; and not really necessary in Florence. Trains between cities and public transportation within the cities is more than adequate.<BR><BR>Suggest you divide the trip 3/3/3 or 4 with the 3/4 option for Rome.<BR><BR>Have a great anniversary.

Old Dec 26th, 2002, 06:34 PM
Howard

If you plan to only visit the three cities, then I totally agree with John. Don't rent a car! It'll be more trouble than it's worth. You won't need the car in the cities. Taking trains makes a lot more sense. Besides, you can't drive in Venice and you won't want to drive in Rome and Florence!

Old Dec 26th, 2002, 08:21 PM
cathy

I totally agree that you would not need a car for this particular itinerary. If you were spending more time between cities, yes. But if your time is to be spent in the cities, travel between them by train.

Old Dec 27th, 2002, 03:06 AM
Alice Twain

I do agree too. A car is a great thing if you aim at spending most part of your trip outside the big cities, for instance driving for 2 days in the coustryside between Rome and Florence and 2 days in the countryside around Venice, staying only one day in each city.<BR>In any case, with only three days I would rather chose to spend more time in Rome and either Venice or Florence (My vote goes to Florence), spending only one night in the other city, or even just visit Rome and Florence plus one &quot;minor&quot; destination such as Perugia, for instance. Remebre that Rome deserves your full ten days alone!!!