Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Itinerary advice, 1st timer: Munich to Rome

Jan 13th, 2004, 07:57 AM
Original Poster

My husband and I are planning our 12-day trip in mid march, flying into Munich and out of Rome. We need your sage advice on our rough itinerary. We are late 30's, used to a fast pace, and generally enjoy history, museums, countryside road trips, and soaking up food/people/culture. (ie, we're not *huge* art and shopping fans, though a little would be nice.)

That said, here's the initial plan.

Day 1- arrive Munich a.m.
Day 2- Munich
Day 3- scenic train to Verona, arrive mid-day
Day 4- Verona a.m., train to Florence mid-day
Day 5- Florence
Day 6- Florence a.m., rent car, head for hill towns
Day 7- tuscan hill towns with car (suggestions?)
Day 8- tuscan hill towns
Day 9- drop car off in Rome late morning
Day 10- Rome
Day 11- Rome
Day 12- airplane home first thing, a.m.

Is Florence a must-see this time around, or would the time be better spent, say in Siena? Should we knock Verona off the list and add a day to Rome?

Thanks for your advice! Kate Moore

Jan 13th, 2004, 08:53 AM

Well, history and museums being one of your most favorite subjects, I'd say it would be sensible to stick with Verona, Florence, and Rome. For the countryside road trips you like, the Tuscany segment could well be spent in places like Montalcino, Pienza, Cortona, San Quirico d/Orcia, and so many others--but see Orvieto also on your way to Rome. Good luck.
Jan 13th, 2004, 09:22 AM
ira

Hi katmoo,

Are you skiping Venice on purpose?
Jan 13th, 2004, 09:29 AM

why are you flying to Munich when most of your interest appears to be Italy?

I would skip Munich and add Venice ( I have been to both).
Jan 13th, 2004, 09:43 AM
Original Poster

Well, the plane tix are purchased and non-changeable, so Munich it is. My husband's always wanted to see a bit of Germany, so that's why we're starting there. Plus the alps train sounds like a wonderful ride.

We figured we would save Venice for trip #2, to break out of the Venice-Florence-Rome corridor that everyone does. Big mistake? Would Venice get your nod over Florence?

Thanks for the prompt replies, you guys are great!!
Jan 13th, 2004, 05:57 PM
Original Poster

OK, we've discussed, we've revised.
And we're very excited about this new
itinerary. Thanks for promting it, y'all.

1- Munich
2- Munich
3- Scenic train to Venice
4- Venice
5- rent car, head for tuscan hills
6- tuscan/umbrian hill towns
7- tuscan/umbrian hill towns
8- hilltowns, return car in Orvieto, stay nite
9- morning train to Rome
10- Rome
11- Rome
12- ciao for now

Now its time to work on the accomodations. Thanks again.
Jan 14th, 2004, 06:54 AM
ira

Sounds like a good trip.
Jan 15th, 2004, 12:49 PM

I would suggest taking a day trip to Rothenburg or Ludwig's castles for one of the Munich days.
Sounds like a great trip!
Feb 6th, 2004, 03:44 AM

Katmoo,

I would suggest something different.

Why not spend a few days in Munich and then fly directly to Rome via a nice little airline company, Germania Express? Check them out in English at www.gexx.de . One-way tickets for March are currently 77 Euro p/p incl. all taxes, and the planes are still pretty empty. There are often special prices on this route (we flew for 39 Euro each way).

Then, you could spend a few days in Rome and rent a car and see a bit of the country side. I think this route would be more relaxing for you.
Feb 6th, 2004, 04:07 AM
rex

I'll give my opinions, from more than one perspective. I didn't think your first plan was clearly inferior to your new revised plan - - after all, you DID promise to get back (soon, one hopes) to visit Venice. I also think that the idea presented by Riffic is at least as good as either of your plans, if not better. But all three plans have their merits.

The second perspective is more for other readers - - let's say that you did NOT have this air travel purchased already. I, too, think that you're going to all the trouble of flying into Germany, and a (slightly) hefty train ride - - though I suspect you're right, it will be pleasant and scenic - - when Munich is going to end up being a "throwaway" destination for you.

That said, there is merit in having a "throwaway" destination at the beginning - - a place that is NOT at the top ten of (the "average" person's list of) "magical", special places. A place where you CAN get over that trans-atlantic sleep-deprived flight, and adjust to new money, and a foreign language and all kinds of other things that can give you a bad grumpy day. So what if you don't see all that your "throwaway" destination has to offer; so what if you come away not even liking that place all that much. Some place had to come first.

Munich makes for an "okay" throwaway destination, though I am reluctant to say that about Bavaria, taken in the larger context. Milan is a good throwaway choice, and I suspect that even Florence would work - - say, with a 48 hour initial stay. The prospect of Verona, or even Bergamo is not a bad idea - - since these are now just a short cheap flight away from Paris, London, Brussels, etc.

Maybe my main point is that even if your first 36-60 hours in Munich is not your best few days, it's still not a bad choice. I wince when I see the "standard" 8-9 days "big three" jaunt through Italy. No matter which end they start on, I feel for them. The first place they arrive is getting the short end of the stick. Unfortunate for Rome or Venice either one.

Best wishes,

Rex