Apartments in Montelpuciano

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21st, 2004, 09:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have decided to base in Montep. to explore Tuscany/Umbria. Patrick, I know you suggested the Poggiolo and gave me this address: www.tiscali.it/poggiolo. But this web page is in Italian and I do not see any mention of this apt. Do you have another address, or email? I did a google search and did get a web page which showed some pictures (lovely), but no prices, or email for reservations. I am also considering the Politian apts. Do I have to rent Sat. to Sat. or will they rent say from Wed. to Wed.? Any info on these apartments would be appreciated.
Old Jan 21st, 2004, 09:43 AM

Try this full link, that's how I have it bookmarked and it opens with a British flag for English. Let me know if this doesn't work.

http://web.tiscali.it/no-redirect-ti...giolo_home.htm
Old Jan 21st, 2004, 09:46 AM

Here's the web page for the Politian apts. We booked in Mid-September. Their site says a minimum of 2-3 days stay, so I would e-mail them with your dates and ask.

Toggle thru this website at the top for Main Menu and Accommodations to search for other places.

http://tuscany.net/stuart/
Old Jan 21st, 2004, 10:03 AM
Original Poster

Patrick, Budman: both these places look great. I wonder about locations, proximity to shops, restaurants, etc. Have either one of you stayed here before? The Poggiolo site does not seem to have a place to inquire about reservations. Am I just missing it somehow. I would like to check on availability. Patrick which apt. are you staying in, ditto Budman?
Old Jan 21st, 2004, 10:26 AM

I'm staying in apt. # 3, the one with the little private terrace. I found these apartments from a suggestion here on Fodor's -- a rave, actually. You could enter the name and do a search and find the original posts about it.

The way I understand it is that Poggiolo is right at the main square at the top of the town. Although there is parking in the garden and the pictures make it look very rural thanks to the views out to the countryside, it is apparently very much in the center of the town.

I clicked there and found the rates and did an email. The two sisters who own it were very gracious and quick in answering my questions. They required no deposit, just ask that we pay in cash upon arrival a total of 580 euro for the full week.

On the home page arrived at via the link above, you should see "terms and conditions" you can click for the prices. Also a place for "contact" that opens an address to click for contacting them by email.
Old Jan 21st, 2004, 10:33 AM

Barb, I've booked both apartments. I've never stayed there before. Going in mid-Sept. I searched all over for places, and it was mentioned on one of these threads, I looked it up, e-mailed the owner, and booked it.

I gave them my credit card to reserve, but I have until mid-June to cancel with no obligation (at least that's how I read the agreement). Hope it works for you. The price was certainly working for me -- 400 Euro a week in mid-Sept plus they give you breakfast for the first night.
Old Jan 21st, 2004, 10:42 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Patrick - I finally was able to scroll down to the contact box. It wasn't showing and I couldn't get to it initially. Are you staying Sat. to Sat? The apt. plans look very large, most with two baths and two bedrooms. I can't believe the price is so reasonable. I'm keeping my fingers crossed they have something available for Oct. I am coming from Rome and hope to rent a car in Chuisi. Not too keen on driving out of Rome.
Old Jan 21st, 2004, 10:54 AM
Original Poster

Budman - it's very hard to decide between these apartments - the prices for both are great. Are you staying Sat. to Sat? That will be the deciding factor for me because I have to stay Wed. to Wed., or at least leave on a Wed. as my flight leaves on a Thurs.a.m. from Rome.
Old Jan 21st, 2004, 10:56 AM

We're doing three apartments in a row -- Rome, Venice, and Montepulciano all from Saturday to Saturday, so that worked out for us. That's the only way they show them on the rate schedule, so they may be fixed to that. It does seem like a major bargain to me as well. Our apartment in Venice (705 euro for the full week) is a bargain as well, but of course, not nearly so large or special looking as Poggiolo, but then it is in VENICE, not Montepulciano!
Old Jan 21st, 2004, 11:02 AM

Barb, since October is off season, I would e-mail the owner and ask. All he can say is no. You've got nothing to lose. I got the feeling he will say YES.
Old Jan 21st, 2004, 11:04 AM

Oops -- forgot. We are Sat to Sat.
Old Jan 21st, 2004, 10:56 PM

Oh you lucky souls..you will be in one of my favorite cities in Italy. We were in Montepulciano in October. It's beautiful I will say Tuscany was colder than I expected(mid-October). Bring things for rain and some cold temps. I only brought a pashima shwl and was cold!
Old Jan 22nd, 2004, 04:37 AM

We used an apartment in Montepulciano as a base this past July.

It is a great place. Don't miss market day in the bus station parking lot. Also see the "old world" craft workshops at the top of the hill where you can see a copper smith and woodworker laboring in their shops. I took the coppesmith's picture. If you like you can see it here http://www.pbase.com/image/22954598

While there we saw a funeral march through the streets one day. Another evening, we saw a wedding reception marching through the city streets. It felt like we were in the Godfather.
Old Jan 22nd, 2004, 10:18 AM
SRS

I've been following this thread and think about staying at Poggiolo for a week in August. I know it does not have a/c. Do you think it would be a big issue and we'd be okay if we got a fan (if they don't have one we could borrow) or should we look elsewhere?

Thanks for any advice you might have.

SRS
Old Jan 22nd, 2004, 11:50 AM

This is a tough one. My experience in San Gimagnano when it was very hot, was that at night it was delightful, in fact usually got up at night to close the windows when it got cool. You're probably going to have a tough search for a place that is air-conditioned other than larger hotels, but that's just my guess. If you decide to go for it, you might also ask the "sisters" at the place by email whether the top or bottom floor is cooler, and ask if they have a fan.
Old Jan 22nd, 2004, 12:54 PM
SRS

Thanks Patrick,

That's pretty much what I figured. So I guess we will probably go with it!

Take care,
SRS