Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Apartments at La Calcina? Has anyone stayed at one?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12th, 2004, 01:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have contacted La Calcina for reservations in April and was told that while they had nothing available at the hotel, they did have 2 apartments available (the Rosa and the Giglio)in a nearby building (Calle d'Squero). The rate was reasonable and it included breakfast,which could be had at the hotel. Has anyone stayed at these apartments, and if so what were they like and how was the location?

Thanks for any help you can give me. I did a search for La Calcina, but saw no mention of these apartments.
Old Jan 12th, 2004, 01:31 PM

I've heard that La Calcina has apartments but haven't seen them. We loved the hotel though, so if the price is right and includes their sumptious breakfast (best ham I've ever had), I'd go for it. Please report in when you return.
Old Jan 12th, 2004, 01:49 PM

I've seen all but one and they are lovely. For long-term rentals, I thought the price was too high and not in line with the competition. If you find the cost reasonable, don't hesitate. They do give you breakfast privileges and their breakfasts are lovely.

They've also turned their Zattere patio into a full-blown restaurant called, La Piscina, and the patio decoration is spectacular. The indoor dining room is located next door and looks quite cozy.

The construction site that was there this Spring is now completed and only a small piece remains in front of the Gesuati. There are some wonderful changes taking place at La Calcina, making this one of the most lovely boutique hotels available in Venice today.
Old Jan 12th, 2004, 04:05 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your help, NYC and Betsy. The apartments are a few blocks northeast of La Calcina and so I am wondering what the neighborhood might be like. I don't think the apartments are on the water.
Old Mar 21st, 2004, 08:09 AM

Barb, I've got the same issue. La Calcina doesn't have rooms available in Sept, but offered the Iris apt for 161E, including breakfast. It's a bit more than I wanted to pay, but I think it's going to be worth it to have more of an apt than a hotel room. We couldn't find any small apts available. I'd rather be at the main hotel with a canal view, but that's not critical to us. With all the wonderful things I've heard about La Calcina, I can't imagine that the apts would be any less clean, comfortable and convenient. I'd love to hear back after you go in April.

thanks!
Anne ([email protected])
Old Mar 24th, 2004, 09:23 AM

Just to add my 2 cents worth, I have stayed at the Calcina 3 times over the past 3 years and it was during my last visit to Venice that my friend and her mother booked one of the Calcina apartments (couldn't tell you which one off the top of my head). The location for the apartments are excellent, right around the corner, very quiet and equally as safe as the main property. The accommodations absolutely lovely. There are pictures of each of these apartments (including layouts I believe)on theirwebsite www.lacalcina.com - which you might have discovered by now.