Search

Apartment websites?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1st, 2008, 09:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Apartment websites?

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to find a nice apartment for 10 days in Rome for 3 people. I'm come across a website named www.RomePower.com. Has anyone used this site? They seem to have good rates, but I'm always weary of jumping in head first in unknown waters.

Are there any other websites that you could recommend to me? I'll be travelling in May, I'm trying to stay around 100 euros (please don't laugh at me... I know I want the impossible), and would prefer something with no stairs and a private bathroom since I'm travelling with my elderly parents.

Thanks in advance for any advice!!
Old Jan 1st, 2008, 09:25 PM

I would go to slowtrav.com -- they have reviews of apartments and rental companies. That is where I found my apartment - dolcerome.com

But I don't think finding something for 100 Euros will be easy with three people -- good luck!
Old Jan 2nd, 2008, 01:04 AM

Hi

Try http://www.romanreference.com/appartamento.php?id=1082 or http://www.romahappydays.com or http://www.sanpeterhome.com (don't know about stairs)
Old Jan 2nd, 2008, 05:11 AM

Another website to try is www.ownersdirect.co.uk - I use this for sun holidays but it also has some apartments in Rome (you need to click on Lazio within Italy to get to Rome).

Old Jan 2nd, 2008, 05:32 AM

go to Yahoo or Google and type in "apartment in Rome" for other options. Also type the same thing into the search fied at the top of this page for info from Fodorites about where they have stayed.

We looked at www.rentalinrome.com and used www.sleepinitaly.com

Old Jan 6th, 2008, 03:58 PM

Hi,
I must say that your budget is a little bit low for the high season (which in Rome is usually from the beginning of April until the end of May) so find an apartment tailored on you will be challenging.
Regarding www.romepower.com website, it's rather well known on slowtrav with many positives feedback through the years. As stated from many others here, check the other ones suggested both on slowtrav (in classified and favourites) and tripadvisor (and obviously here), compare feedback on apartment and overall service quality.
Live experiences from other indipendent travellers are usually the best hints to avoid problems.
Old Jan 6th, 2008, 04:50 PM

The biggest determinant of price, for Rome apartments, is location.

You can still stay in a very nice, central apartment for a reasonable price, if you are willing to take an unfashionable location.

The area around the Vatican is safe, respectable, close to the historic centre, well served by the Metropolitana subway -- and terribly dull. Hence unfashionable. Hence relatively cheap.

And it does have an abundance of spacious, well-presented apartments.

Similarly: the Colosseum area. (Though it's a bit rough.)
Old Jan 6th, 2008, 04:56 PM

realrome.com

Clean, decent, budget-oriented apartments. Recommened by lots of posters.
Old Jan 20th, 2008, 06:04 AM

Just returned from Rome where we (3 adults) had a great apt. in Trastevere through romanreference.com. The listing is #279 and you can see my review there. Fabulous location, perfect apartment for 700 euros for 6 nights in January.
Old Jan 20th, 2008, 12:10 PM

Your need for a place where your parents don't have to climb stairs is going to limit you -- and if you are looking for something in May 2008 you better get busy! As someone suggested, look at slowtrav.com for apartment reviews.

If you stay very far from the center, you will have to take taxis to get to the sites. Consider that cost as added onto your apartment cost before you choose.

Also be sure the apartment you rent has a shower and an elevator. Do NOT assume they do!! If they are not listed in the apartment description, they probably don't have them. And an apartment on the first floor is one flight up from the ground floor, so be careful about that.
Old Jan 21st, 2008, 08:15 AM

The apartment I mentioned above has a shower and an elevator.
Old Jan 21st, 2008, 08:56 AM

My sister and I rented the below apartment when we traveled with my mother to Rome in 2006. It worked well with her limited mobility. Mom took the bedroom, we took the loft, and the bathroom had an easy access shower. There was also an elevator.

http://www.sleepinitaly.com/files/apt_panico.html

Old Jan 21st, 2008, 09:10 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Zeta,

don't be out off the colosseum area as being "a bit rough".

we rented a lovely apartment [a bit out of your price range, at E200 per night but it was easter] in the via dei serpenti, which runs between the via nazionale and the colosseum. it was full of real roman life, little shops and local restaurants, but we were quite happy letting our DS, then 15 and with no words of italian to speak of, out in the mornings to buy our breakfast.

there are loads of buses running along the via nazionale, taxis, the electric bus goes virtually past the door, and there's the metro at cavour near-by.

good luck,

regards, ann

we used www.italy-accom.com.
Old Jan 21st, 2008, 10:09 AM

have rented an apt in the Colosseum area in March for 105 a night--it is really too small for you because it only has room for 2 people but there are many apts on vrbo.com in rome to check...you can search by location or by size--but can only check availability after clicking open the apt---
I have rented from VRBO in US before but this is first time for Rome--so far owner has been prompt with email replies and has given what I though was open responses to my questions...

right now for March--you can find a listing in nice area that has double/full bed or larger with a sleeper sofa (for you) instead of 2 separate bedrooms for 100 E a night or less--more likely in the Vatican area than in central Rome--but some parts of Vatican are not that far from the sites...

be aware a "ground floor" apt can still involve walking up or down steps

I have searched almost all the sites people have posted--some are better for searching than others--
some apartments are advertised under the same or different names by more than one apartment agency---
some pictures are better to view than others...just have to get a feel for the sites...
and do check out slowtrav's reviews of apts/agencies--very useful...
FYI--
some tubs in Europe/Italy are pretty narrow compared to American ones and seem more for catching the water from the hand-held shower than soaking...
Old Feb 6th, 2008, 03:07 PM

I used BBplanet.it to find our apartment in Rome. and it was good