Search

Apartment Rental Trouble! HELP!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24th, 2006, 08:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Apartment Rental Trouble! HELP!

Departing this Thursday for Italy.

Last August, I booked an apartment in Florence for a week through florenceby.com with no problem. My reservation voucher noted that I should let them know my arrival information in Florence closer to the date. Two months ago, I sent them the time I would arrive - twice - with no response.

Today, a week before my arrival in the Florence apartment, they sent me notice that they want to keep me in the apartment I reserved originally for 2 nights, then move me to another apartment on the same floor in the same building for 2 nights, then for the last night, put me in a B & B near the location. They said nothing of where this B & B actually is!

I. AM. NOT. HAPPY. This was supposed to be our mini-residence! We were supposed to get to pretend to be locals, unpack our bags and be comfortable! Now, we'll have to live out of suitcases. To make matters worse, our travel companions who are sharing the apartment have already left, so I can't reach them until our planned meeting at Termini Station on Sunday!

I've e-mailed the apartment and the guest relations assistant through florenceby.com

Any other suggestions? Anyone have an apartment that sleeps 4 in the centro storico of Florence that is available May 1 through 6?
Old Apr 24th, 2006, 08:51 AM
Neopolitan

I don't have an answer for you except to say you have every right to be furious. I would not accept this arrangement even as a last resort. Three places for five nights? That's absurd!

Old Apr 24th, 2006, 08:51 AM
ira

Hi B,

Bummer.

I suggest faxing or calling rather than email to get this resolved.

You shouldn't be the one to be bumped.

Old Apr 24th, 2006, 09:07 AM

We used inflorencehotels.com and booked the Palazzo dei ciompi for 8 persons at 250 euro. They have a 21 apartment building. Also Palazzo Gamba right next to Duomo are all on line through that website.
Old Apr 24th, 2006, 09:23 AM

Hi blondeinabmw, I would be furious too.

And I agree with Ira, either fax or phone this company. For some reason Italians don't seem to feel the urgency in replying to emails. It can be very frustrating. They usually take a fax much more serious. But in the essence of time personally I would telephone them. Best wishes to you and I sure hope you get this worked out.
Old Apr 24th, 2006, 09:27 AM

Maybe you will call them, and if you do not receive only one apartment for all the period, cancel this reservation (by the way, did you pay something in advance?) aand try to find something else.
I hope that you will can solve this problem. I can imagine what you feel!
Good Luck!
Old Apr 24th, 2006, 09:58 AM
Original Poster

I did not pay in advance, but was required to provide a credit card (AMEX) for the guarantee. I have the choice to accept or decline the modification. The terms state that cancellations 29 days to 72 hours out, we pay 50%, but I imagine I can fight that with AMEX given the circumstances and the fact that I have all of my correspondence with the apartment people.

I'm trying to find something else in the price range!

I suspect what's happened is that someone has requested the apartment for longer than a week and I was bumped.

Keep the suggestions coming!
Old Apr 24th, 2006, 10:02 AM

Go to www.slowtrav.com/italy/vr/list.asp?r=Florence to read reviews of rentals in Florence. You will probably get some ideas there. Good luck!
Old Apr 24th, 2006, 11:19 AM
Neopolitan

I would call your credit card company NOW and tell them you have provided the number to a company which has changed the terms of your agreement and they should not authorize payment without consulting with you first. Or at least lay the groundwork for a dispute.
Meanwhile I'd be more apt to be looking for a new place than to deal any further with this shyster company.

Old Apr 24th, 2006, 11:48 AM

Slowtrav.com is a good resource. You can go to sleepinginflorence.com or apartments2book.com to see what's available. Sometimes, if they don't have anything, they'll refer you to someone who does.

My guess is you're going to have to get lucky to get something in May. Maybe there will be a late cancellation or something like that for you to take advantage of. Other than that, it's going to be tough finding something decent.
Old Apr 24th, 2006, 11:54 AM

Also please report your experience with this agency on the Slow Travel website. This is just the kind of information people need.
Old Apr 24th, 2006, 12:07 PM

Try emailing Emilio from www.residenzailcarmine.com/aparts/e_mr.htm. It's a great place to stay.
Old Apr 24th, 2006, 12:53 PM
Original Poster

Still no response from florenceby.com or San Lorenzo Apartments (not the San Lorenzo on inflorencehotels.com). I just don't have a good feeling.

We're going to call first thing in the morning!

I've found a few other potentials, but all are double the price. Good thing I booked cheap, huh?

Sigh...If this is the worst that happens, I'm in good shape, I think. It's just frustrating considering I booked well in advance! Thank you for all your help and support! Wish me luck!
Old Apr 24th, 2006, 01:52 PM

We are renting an apartment through Homelidays that is not available for the days you need, but I did a quick search and this one looks nice to me and it's available.

http://tinyurl.com/qd326

Let us know how it all works out!
Old Apr 24th, 2006, 01:57 PM

Oh wow, that is truly not acceptable at all I completely agree with all the suggestions to call the company as soon as possible and let them know that you do NOT agree to the changes in your reservation. BEST of luck and keep us posted
Old Apr 24th, 2006, 03:12 PM

I have no expertise in this area, but here's what I would do - I would take a few copies of my original reservation voucher with me. I would NOT reply to the email that they sent advising you of the frequent moves, and when I got there I would deny receiving it. (If you have already replied this isn't an option, of course; in that case I would reply that the suggested terms are not acceptable and you expect to receive the service for which you reserved and have a voucher.) On arrival, I would NOT agree to any scheme involving moving around (well, maybe if it's totally free!) and would offer to accept an alternate place only if it is at least as good (location, condition, etc.) as the one aready reserved. Then I would ensconce myself in the apartment and (politely but firmly) refuse to leave until the end of the term I had reserved and for which I have my voucher.
More than likely you will elicit lots of arm waving Italodrama, but just do your best to not get sucked into an argument and hold the line.
I was in a somewhat similar situation in a Florence hotel a few years back. On arrival, with confirmation in hand, they told me they had no room for the first two and last nights, and could not refer me anywhere else as it was a busy time. I calmly, even with a smile, repeated that I have my confirmation right here, and the other guests are likely to complain about my loud snoring when I sleep in the lobby. Lo and behold, in about 10 minutes they found a room, where I comfortably stayed the entire week I had reserved.
Old Apr 24th, 2006, 05:41 PM

How infuriating! I have nothing to add that hasn't already been said.

Good luck to you in getting things resolved to your satisfaction, and make sure you write a review on tripadvisor.com!
Old Apr 24th, 2006, 06:00 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
In your shoes, I'd cancel and fight any charges. (I like Neopolitan's suggestion of calling your credit card company now.)

You don't mention your budget, but try:

www.florenceflat.com

It's owned by the Hotel Alessandra, located in Oltrarno near the bridge leading to Santa Croce and sleeps four. I haven't stayed in the flat but did book it for October until friends invited us to their home.

Good luck and have a GREAT trip.