apartment in Rome - Monti, Trastevere, Navona

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21st, 2010, 08:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We’ve finally found 4 lovely apartments…n all thanks to you guys for dispproving my earlier choice (Parioli or Vaticano).
Thanks bookchick, kybourbon, danon, Zerlina...Viajero2 your statement ‘Go back to the draft board, you are not done’ kept ringing in my ears!

So here I am guys with better selection. Please suggest the best location amongst the following:
1) Monti- Piazza Della Suburra (I like this 1 most as per pics)
2) Trastevere- a) Via Ettore Vernazza b) Vicolo S. Agata
3) Navona- Vicolo cellini 14

About us- Couple in late twenties , active. Have just 3.5 days in rome
Looking for place that is walkable to most attractions...with a few friendly (not expensive) cafes, resturants and which is peaceful at night.
Old Dec 21st, 2010, 09:39 AM

Vicolo Cellini is most central, walkable to many things and with good transport connections. Via Ettore Vernazza is only in Trastevere by a wide stretch of the imagination; it's in Monteverde and very inconvenient. Vicolo Sant'Agata is near the river, walkable to some things, but would require buses to others. Piazza Suburra is walkable to points of interest in ancient Rome and has good transport connections but is not as central as Vicolo Cellini.

Monti, centro storico (Navona) and Trastevere are all full of cafes and restaurants. Peaceful is as peaceful does; I wouldn't consider any of the areas particularly peaceful, but how quiet a given apartment is will depend on where it faces and how good the windows are.
Old Dec 21st, 2010, 09:50 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
It would help if you put links to the apartments.

I'm pretty familiar with the Monti area. Via Urbana and via Leonina area has little traffic as it's more alleyways (cobblestones). Both have some B&B's, hotels and restaurants. The entrance to the Cavour subway stop (note the subway exit is across via Cavour and requires you climb a flight of stairs to exit) is about where Google says Piazza Suburra is although it seems to me it's just two alleys meeting, not really a piazza. Near via Boschetto (down Leonina) and via Serpenti is a bigger piazza (Madonna de Monti) which has more restaurants, but so do most of the streets around there including the very busy/noisy Via Cavour. You would not have traffic noise from Cavour on either Urbana or Leonina.

There are more regular shops in the Monti area than tourist shops, except for Cavour. There are also groceries, etc.

Cavour is one subway stop from the Colosseum although it would be just a 5-10 minute walk to either the forum or Colossem from there. St. Pietro in Vincoli is nearby also. You are also one subway stop from Termini where you could change lines for St. Peter's and the Vatican Museum or to the airport.

The small electric bus that covers much of the pedestrian center, 117, has Via Serpenti on it's route. This bus goes to the Spanish Steps/Piazza del Popolo/Colosseum. It also lets you to connect to the other electric buses that go to the Vatican/Villa Borghese, etc (116). Here's an electric bus map.
http://www.atac.roma.it/files/doc.asp?r=9

Via Ettore Vernazza is too far out IMHO. Vicolo S. Agata is much better - close to everything. Vicolo Cellini is very convenient also.

This website has info (stores, churches, etc.) about some of the neighborhoods with pictures of some of the piazzas. I am not in anyway suggesting you use this website for an apartment. In fact, the person behind the website has been quite controversial on this and other boards. I'm only posting the link because he does have some good neighborhood pictures/info. You can also scroll down to click on some of the other neighborhoods you are interested in.
http://www.romanhomes.com/your_roman...ti-quarter.htm
Old Dec 21st, 2010, 12:22 PM

If peaceful means quiet, that's hard to find in central Rome. You might look at the Aventino hill area. It's quite central but also quieter.
Old Dec 21st, 2010, 01:05 PM

I think the Vicolo Cellini location is perfect and by far the superior choice. It is very central and a 5 minute walk to Campo dei Fiori or Piazza Navona, but the area of the apartment itself is quiet enough. No bars, no cars, and charming as all get out (and one block to Via Giulia).

Go for it - you won't regret it.
Old Dec 21st, 2010, 05:48 PM
SAB

You can find a quiet apartment in central Rome, it depends on the street or piazza on which an apartment is located. For example in September we stayed in an apartment on a very narrow street that intersects with the via Giulia that was very quiet, even though it was a few blocks from a major street. Last year we stayed in another place near the Campo dei Fiori that was in a small piazza and again it was very quiet.
Old Dec 21st, 2010, 08:27 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the advice guys!

My final 2 choices are as follows:

1) Monti- Piazza Della Suburra
http://www.homelidays.co.uk/roma/apa...-326432en1.htm

2) Navona- Vicolo cellini 14
http://www.vrbo.com/326826

Both seem to suit us. Please help me nail down teh final one.
Old Dec 21st, 2010, 08:54 PM

The Monti apartment is decidedly nicer than the Navona one. Also, the Navona one is on the ground floor, seems to have the bed near the window and a kitchen that consists of a sink and a stove.

I'd go for the Monti one.
Old Dec 22nd, 2010, 03:56 AM

Good job in downselecting the apartments. I would go for the Monti as well as the Navona ground floor has the potential for noiseness from VESPAS. Hope you have a great time!!!
Old Dec 22nd, 2010, 06:00 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
The Monti apartment doesn't appear to have a real bed. One love seat and one futon/couch that is being made into the double bed. Not sure how comfortable it would be.
Old Dec 22nd, 2010, 06:10 AM

Monti apartment is on the "third floor of a building without a lift" which translates in U.S. terms as fourth floor with no elevator. You are young and active, so this may be no problem for you.