Apartment in London for 5 Adults

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12th, 2015, 02:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I will be traveling to London for a week with our three adult kids to celebrate my daughter's graduation from King's College in January. I'm looking for an apartment in Central London. Our budget is $2200-3000, but we're open to staying in another part of London, if we can get a more reasonable rental fee.

I've stayed in London many times over the past few years, but not in an apartment. I'm familiar with London Perfect and London Connection. Are those my best bets, or do you have other suggestions? We'd really like to be more budget-conscious this trip.

Thanks, in advance, for your suggestions!
Old Sep 12th, 2015, 02:21 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
These are well below your budget -- the two bdrm units are only about $1300 per week in January. Though one of the kids would have to sleep on a sofabed in the living room.

http://www.hamletuk.com

They are at St Katharine's Marina so are very quiet because there is no vehicular traffic. But LOTS of pubs/restaurants/a supermarket on your doorstep. They do book up because they are such good value.

If you want to be more central/posher, then both London Connection/London Perfect are reputable.
Old Sep 12th, 2015, 04:59 PM

Check out OneFineStay.com. Some really lovely homes and apartments, including 3BR ones.
Old Sep 13th, 2015, 07:21 AM
Original Poster

JANISJ, thank you! Those apartments are an amazing value. I think we'd need to do both a two-bedroom and one-bedroom for our family, but that's still a bargain. I've emailed them to see if there's any possibility of connecting apartments or at least have close proximity.

I checked out London Perfect, London Connection and One Fine Stay (thanks, travelhorizons) and for the space we need, they're all well over $3,000 per week. I know as we get closer, and especially since it's off season in January, the pricing should improve.

A few years ago, you helped me with another London trip, and I remember you suggested another apartment complex that was inexpensive & popular & looked very contemporary, but that had space large enough to accommodate all of us in one place. I cannot find that thread now, so I'm wondering if that rings any bells for you?

Your suggestions in the past really made a difference in the good experiences I've had on the many London trips I've taken to visit my daughter. I just want to say thanks, again. You are unquestionably the "London travel expert" here & are so generous with your time & advice. It's greatly appreciated.
Old Sep 13th, 2015, 07:37 AM

You're very welcome!

>>I've emailed them to see if there's any possibility of connecting apartments or at least have close proximity.<<

A 1 bdrm and a 2 bdrm would give you TONS of space and a lot more privacy. AFAIK they only have 5 flats scattered throughout the same complex -- none are connecting or next to each other. But not really an issue IME. I've rented 2 for a group of 6 ladies and and they were a 2 or 3 minute walk apart.
Old Sep 13th, 2015, 08:49 AM
Original Poster

JanisJ, thanks--that helps a lot. What underground station is near these apartments? I asked my daughter & she doesn't know where St. Katherine's Marina is located.
Old Sep 13th, 2015, 09:41 AM

Tower Hill and a Tower Gateway are the two closest stops
Old Sep 13th, 2015, 02:39 PM

In March we stayed in the smaller of the two flats listed here:
http://www.vrbo.com/250413

The location is really convenient to Paddington, Edgeware Rd, tons of restaurants, tube stops, etc.

The owners are very responsive and helpful. Praed St is shockingly quiet at night for being so close to Paddington Station.
Old Sep 13th, 2015, 02:41 PM

Oops - forgot to add that if anyone is willing to sleep on the sofabed the smaller apartment sleeps 8: http://www.vrbo.com/486661
Old Sep 13th, 2015, 04:11 PM

Yes -- Tower Hill is very close. It is a bit of a climb up to the station. But the #15 bus runs right along in front of the Tower and travels to St Paul's, Charing Cross and ends at Trafalgar Square
Old Sep 14th, 2015, 07:14 AM

<<In March we stayed in the smaller of the two flats listed here:
http://www.vrbo.com/250413

The location is really convenient to Paddington, Edgeware Rd, tons of restaurants, tube stops, etc.>>

I wouldn't stay at Paddington. There are better areas that are more convenient for touring. Even by the Tower at St. Kath's Marina, although you're a bit of a ways from Leicester Square and the center/re of central London, you still have the Tower, St. Paul's, Globe, Tate Modern, and Monument all relatively close and the lone remaining Routemaster heritage bus route departs from Tower Hill to Trafalgar Square. And you're only one stop or a short walk from the Central Line that will get you, appropriately, to central London quicker than the meandering District and Circle lines.
Old Sep 15th, 2015, 06:33 AM

My wife and Imhave used a company called Coach House Rentals and were very pleased with the choices offered and with their service. Give them a look.
Old Sep 15th, 2015, 08:21 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
We rented a three bedroom for our family from Basil Street Apartments, very nice.
Old Sep 15th, 2015, 09:06 AM

In September of 2014 my family rented a three bedroom flat from Coach House Rentals. We were very pleased with the service, as well as the flat itself.

I've also seen Marlin and Citadines serviced apartments as a suggestion, but have no personal recommendation for them.