Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Anything to pre-book for my trip to Ireland?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1st, 2013, 12:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone,
I'm going on my first trip to Ireland the end of August. When visiting other countries, it was possible to purchase tickets to certain venues and sites on-line ahead of time to avoid standing in line and save time. Are there any sites like that that I should be aware of? My guidebook is not mentioning it, so I thought I'd ask the experts here. We are going to Dublin, then Galway, ROK/Dingle, Cork, Kilkenny. Thanks!
Old Aug 1st, 2013, 01:32 PM

If you are reading the RS guide then everything he doesn't like will be missing. Bit of a warning.. Ireland is slow paced so trying to save time and rushing will have you missing half the fun. Of course it would help to know which sights you are planning to see but there are no big Disney queues for much of anything.
Old Aug 1st, 2013, 02:58 PM

The only things I pre-booked were those that gave a discount for booking online.
Oh, I did pre-book the "ocean tour" of the Cliffs of Moher (twice) and the Hawk Walk at Ashford Castle. The one at Dromoland was spur-of-the-moment and I just called the same day to see if it was available.
Old Aug 1st, 2013, 07:02 PM

The only thing we have pre-booked in two visits to Ireland was the Dunguarie Castle Banquet because there was only one night that we could do it. It was fully booked for the evening we did it, so I'm glad we booked in advance.
Old Aug 1st, 2013, 07:24 PM

Oh, yes, Longhorn, thanks for reminding me. We also booked the Bunratty banquet (twice), Dunguaire banquet, Knappogue banquet and 3 times the Irish Night in the Corn Barn. They fill up fast.
Old Aug 13th, 2013, 04:26 PM
Original Poster

Thank you! I'll look to see if those places are ones we marked as "to do's" (loosely). I have the Lonely Planet guide, btw, not RS.
Old Aug 15th, 2013, 11:14 AM

http://www.meath.ie/Tourism/Heritage...tes/Newgrange/

We didn't but were lucky and got to see it. It is so worth a visit and Clonmcnoise is amazing also. I would never do a banquet but Newgrange is something I will never forget. Don't do if your claustrophobic though.
Old Aug 15th, 2013, 11:28 AM

You can't pre-book Newgrange tours but must show up and hope they aren't full.

Agree re: claustrophobic.
Old Aug 15th, 2013, 11:30 AM

My mistake...groups of 15 or more must be pre-booked at Newgrange; all others are first come, first served.

You are not required to enter the passage, and the grounds are lovely.
Old Aug 19th, 2013, 07:16 AM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone, for the advice! We hadn't thought of doing a banquet but are now looking into it for sure!
Old Aug 19th, 2013, 07:55 AM

I'm glad I stumbled upon this thread as I'm going to Ireland and hadn't thought of a banquet either. AND I'm very claustrophobic so won't be entering the passage at Newgrange.

Robin, not sure if you are interested in seeing Riverdance in Dublin, but there are still tickets through the end of August. The last show is Sunday September 1st. I don't think you'd need to buy in advance, but if you are interested here is the link:
http://www.ticketmaster.ie/Riverdanc...st_table_focus

Sláinte
Old Aug 19th, 2013, 10:46 AM

Let me say this about the medieval banquets. Remember that this is just my experience; your experience may vary. Seating was VERY crowded at Bunratty (twice) and Knappogue. You sit on long benches butt to butt with total strangers. As I remember, the banquet at Dunguaire Castle was more comfortable. And the Irish Night in the Corn Barn at Bunratty is much less snug. Just in case this is important to you.