Four Days in Ireland

Old Jun 6th, 2008, 07:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Four Days in Ireland

Any suggestions on an itinerary. We can fly into either Shannon or Dublin and rent a car. First time in Ireland and don't want to spend it all in a car.
Old Jun 7th, 2008, 03:49 PM

I definitely suggest that you pick one area and stay there since you only have 4 days. Which area really depends on what most interests you. It's a beautiful country with much to offer. So it's hard to go wrong no matter which area you choose.

You might want to start by reading some of the trip reports here. And give us some idea of what sort of trip you're looking for...music, golf, scenery, castles, etc. etc.
Old Jun 7th, 2008, 04:39 PM

We flew into Dublin, rented a car and headed north. We stopped to see Newgrange which was awesome. North Ireland is beautiful. We spent one day seeing Giants Causeway,Carrick-a-Rede Rope Bridge (which is a strenuous hike back up to the parking lot) the Bushmills Tour. From there we drove to Enniskellin where we viewed the castle, took a ride to Devils Island. Then to Belleck to buy some pottery. Then we drove down to Cliffs of Moher and around Ireland. If I only had 4 days I would be in Northern Ireland.
Old Jun 7th, 2008, 06:40 PM
Original Poster

We have been researching Ireland and all the areas look wonderful.We definely want scenery,villages,moderate hikes,a castle or two and some historical sites. The Northern Ireland itinerary was helpful, so that is a good place to start for now. Thanks for your help.
Old Jun 8th, 2008, 05:47 AM

Would like to add that we did stay in b&bs except for the few days in Dublin and all were great - loved meeting the people of Ireland. We enjoyed the Dún Guaire castle near Kinvara and the dinner. Our host at the b&b said the lady that does this dinner wants it to be of good quality. We found this to be true.
We drove the Ring of Kerry and it was not that great. Think Dingle would be better and will do that on our next tour of Ireland. The Rock of Cashel was interesting, the Blarney Stone was fun but not an easy stairway to get to the top of Blarney Castle to see the stone. Would not recommend it to any one who is disabled.
We did drive to Cong and walked around Ashford Castle. The castle and grounds are beautiful. We were not allowed inside - we had planned to have a meal there but only guests were allowed in the castle.
One important tip that I found out the hard way. If you buy Irish bottled water drink it all at once, do not let it set in the car and drink it off and on during the day. You can get sick.
Old Jun 9th, 2008, 08:32 AM

Hi surae:

The 1st issue is the 4 day concern. You do need to pick 1 area. NI is pretty large and you need to keep in mind that if you are traveling from overseas, jet lag will be a problem on the 1st day.

If you fly into Shannon, you could see Co. Kerry, my suggestion would be Dingle and a C. Clare.

You could also go north from Shannon and do C. Clare and Galway.

From Dublin, NI is possible and a stop at Newgrange early in the day would get you partly up the coast. Don't try to plan to go all the way to the North Antrim coast on your 1st day if coming in from overseas.

You could also go south and see Wicklow, Glendalough and Kilkenny.

All of this would be hurried and I can't tell if day 4 is a flying day or if u leave on day 5. Let us know a little more.

Bill
Old Jun 9th, 2008, 10:53 AM

My family spent 4 days in Ireland last June. We focused on the southwest. Unfortunately the only tickets that we could get had us fly in and out of Dublin, so we spent some time on our first full day and our last full day driving to and from the west coast. If you fly into Shannon, you could easily explore Co. Kerry and Co. Clare.

We did both the Ring of Kerry and the Dingle Peninsula and all in our group of 6 would pick the Ring of Dingle to do again.

In addition to these 2 areas, we were able to see part of the Burren in Co. Clare and the Cliffs of Moher. We also stopped at Cahir Castle and the Rock of Cashel on our way back to Dublin. We did have the advantage of very long June days.

With four days, we were able to enjoy some drives as well as get out and visit many sites.
Old Jun 10th, 2008, 06:17 PM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for your input! Because of connection issues, we need to fly into Dublin; so I will use your suggestions to fine-tune our time there. Thanks again!