Anything on Nice, France???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3rd, 2007, 02:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be staying a few nights in Nice in June, with day trips to Monaco and Cannes, any recommendations for restaurants, fun shops - is it all terribly expensive in this area, really? We have already booked the Hotel Rex, afer all the wonderful reviews we read, so now we are just looking for fun things to do, good food, great bakeries,etc. Any and all advice and shared experiences would be welcome. Thanks and kind regards to all.
Old Mar 3rd, 2007, 02:53 PM

No, there is nothing there.
Old Mar 3rd, 2007, 02:54 PM

Sorry, I couldn't resist!
Old Mar 3rd, 2007, 03:38 PM

For my personal take on Nice, see http://www.iol.ie/~draoi/ (copy & paste the url) and follow the Nice link.

I strongly recommend the Petit Train des Pignes.
Old Mar 3rd, 2007, 05:02 PM

Two reasonably priced restaurants I recommend are Acciardo and La Merenda. La Merenda is a tiny place with no phone owned by the former chef at the Negresco Hotel. It's extremely well-known and popular so I'm sure your hotel could give you directions. Acciardo is run by a charming family and serves hearty regional cuisine. Both places are closed on the weekends. If you want to eat in the Cours Saleya area I think the best of the touristy spots is Safari. For ice cream don't miss Fenochio. For something quite upscale in dining I've had outstanding meals at both Kai's Passion (which has recently expanded and I think may have shortened the name--your hotel would know) and Jouni(also recently relocated). Both the Matisse and Chagall museums are excellent. The contemporary art museum often has some fine exhibits. I always stop at Alziari to purchase some of their olive oil to bring home.
Old Mar 3rd, 2007, 05:06 PM

I adore Nice. Make sure you go to the Monday morning antiques market. Explore the Old Town. Have a drink in the cafe opposite St. Reparate Cathedral. Take a city bus to the suburb of Cimiez and see the church and gardens there, and the Matisse and Chagall Museums if they interest you. Definitely bring home Alziari olive oil. You won't believe your tastebuds!
Old Mar 3rd, 2007, 05:06 PM
Original Poster

Thanks seguess and all who recommended-will definitely try the restaurants and ice cream place. Take care all
Old Mar 3rd, 2007, 05:10 PM

>>If you want to eat in the Cours Saleya area I think the best of the touristy spots is Safari.<<

Of the dozen or so restaurants we've tried on the Cours Saleya, Safari was the only one we thought was good. Most of the others were horrible - overcooked fish, soggy fries, mussels that were dead before they were steamed in water & were "stinky" when they were brought to our table, thin Soupe de Poisson, etc.

Stu Dudley
Old Mar 3rd, 2007, 09:39 PM

Yes, I agree that the food at the Cours Saleya is pretty bad, except for the Socca bar run by Theresa in the day right opposite the lovely little church (probably still closed for renovations, has been for years). You order the Socca or the dessert made with pine nuts (can't remember the name), or pizzarola and take a seat while whoever you are with runs into the bar next to the church for two cold glasses of rose. A great lunch after all that antique shopping.