Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Anyone want to suggest a trip for late July/early August?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10th, 2002, 03:11 AM
Amy

<BR>Hello,<BR>I would like to plan a trip for July 26 - August 7 (approx.) About 12 nights. I have been wanting to go to Scotland or Greece. However, I have been warned about "midgies" in Scotland at this time of year. I have been reading posts about Greece and discovered that this would not be the best time of year to visit Greece either (I have decided to go to Greece next April per Fodorites advice). <BR>So....I have been looking through my travel books and reading posts and was thinking of a trip to The Netherlands, Belgium, and Luxembourg. Or going to Copenhagen (I don't know what else to include visiting on the Copenhagen trip and don't really want to go Oslo or Stockholm). I am TOTALLY open to trip ideas for this time of year from you all. I would rather not be in scorching heat. And I enjoy the smaller cities...so I don't really have a huge desire to go to Paris, London, Madrid. I am not a big fan of hopping hotels every day...I like to stay in a city for at least 3 nights. I also like places that have a good number of historical sites to visit...so I would rather avoid beachy island scenes for this trip. The places I have already visited are Paris, London, Italy (Florence, Rome, & soon the Amalfi Coast this April 1), Prague, Portugal/Madeira, Helsinki, and I live in Riga, Latvia. I have a meeting in Frankfurt the first week of July and then will spend the following week traveling to Munich, Salzburg, and parts of Switzerland. I would like to go somewhere that I have not yet visited. And I am a solo traveler.<BR>I would really appreciate any suggested trips/itineries you may have for good places to travel for these dates.<BR>I ramble on, I know...sorry!!<BR><BR>Thanks!<BR>Amy

Old Mar 10th, 2002, 05:37 AM
Amy

Anyone?

Old Mar 10th, 2002, 05:44 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Amy, Ireland and Scotland that time of year. Save the Med for shoulder months.

Old Mar 10th, 2002, 07:52 AM
Amy

But what about the "midgies" I keep hearing about? I agree that it is probably a good idea to stay a bit north. Any other suggestions for northern Europe destinations? I would love to go to Scotland though!

Old Mar 10th, 2002, 07:53 AM
Jennifer

What are midgies?

Old Mar 10th, 2002, 07:58 AM
David

midge - noun<BR> <BR>1. Any of various gnatlike flies of the family Chironomidae, found worldwide and frequently occurring in swarms near ponds and lakes. <BR><BR>2. Any of various similar dipteran insects, such as the biting midges of the family Ceratopogonidae. <BR>

Old Mar 10th, 2002, 08:06 AM
John

Midges will mainly be a problem if you're walking or fishing in moorland areas in the north. They are way, way less nuisance than the mosquitoes one would encounter in many parts of N. America (or, for that matter, the Baltic countries or Sweden/Finland in your part of the world.) July and August will be peak months where ever you choose, so go where you want and don't let bugs influence your plans.

Old Mar 10th, 2002, 08:08 AM
Amy

yes...and I hear they are awful in the highlands of Scotland during the summer! When I was in Madeira last month, I met a nice couple from New Castle, England and they told me to avoid visiting the highlands during the summer because of the midges. They said spring or Autumn is better.

Old Mar 10th, 2002, 08:15 AM
Claire

Hi Amy,<BR>You would probably avoid the midges in Edinburgh or other towns in Scotland, but believe me they are really awful in the countryside and loch areas in Scotland at that time of the year. And it would be a shame to visit Scotland and not visit the (usually) beautiful countryside. I'm no expert on Ireland, but it doesn't have a reputation for midges.<BR>Your Benelux location sounds good. The Ardennes area of Belgium / France is very attractive. Do bear in mind tht the time you are suggesting is a key school holiday time, so you may find it easier to get accomodation in a town rather that a traditional resort.<BR>Have you considered Amsterdam? Plenty to see and do in the town itself, and close to some interesting other areas. Public transport system is very good there!

Old Mar 11th, 2002, 05:46 AM
Amy

Claire...yes I am definitely considering Amsterdam as an alternative to Scotland. And then including Belgium as well. I have never been to either so I will start looking into it. Thanks for the confirmation regarding the midges!<BR>~Amy

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 04:40 AM
topper

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 05:05 AM
elvira

Northern Ireland: no bugs, no heat, no tourists. Extraordinary scenery, all sorts of flattened and semi-flattened castles (I particularly like the one whose kitchen fell into the sea), wonderful people, great food (health warning: do not eat the full Irish breakfast more than three times unless you have the arteries of an 8-year old), and really great B&Bs in private homes (usually owned by women named Bridget or Mary Kathleen).<BR><BR>Oh, and it's very inexpensive compared to Scandinavia or northern Europe.

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 09:13 AM
Morna

Dear Amy<BR><BR>I agree with Claire on her recommendation of Amsterdam. She is right about there being lots do see and do there, and there are many interesting day trips you could take from there, eg Leiden, Hoorn, Naarden Den Haag, Utrecht, Haarlem, Enkhuizen and Maastricht. The train system is very efficient.<BR><BR>Bruges in Belgium is also very nice. You could spend three nights there then go to Amsterdam and make some Dutch day trips for the other nine nights. Whatever you decide, I hope you enjoy your trip.<BR><BR>PS We got a tyre puncture in Glencoe in early August around sunset and had to stop to fit the spare tyre. We were eaten alive by midges!

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 09:37 AM
Amy

Wow! I thought this thread was long gone! I have actually been thinking of just nixing a trip during that time because I couldn't decide...but now you guys are really motivating me get going on planning a trip during that time again!<BR><BR>I am going to Stockholm June 21-June 25. I leave for Frankfurt on June 30 for 6 nights for a meeting and then going to Salzburg for 3 nights and then on to Lake Como for 3 nights. I will be back July 14 and will be ready to head back out by July 27! (I have to be back at work August 12.)<BR><BR>I think I will have to seriously look into the Belgium/Netherlands trip. Although, I have always wanted to go to Scotland, because I am in fact a "Gordon"!! If I did the Belgium/Netherlands trip, should I fly into Amsterdam and out of Belgium or even Paris? I know nothing about the area...I have been too busy reading up on my upcoming trips to Stockholm and Germany/Austria/Northern Italy!<BR><BR>Thanks for all the great new input guys!! I really appreciate it! I will begin checking airfares tonight!!<BR><BR>Amy

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 10:17 AM
Christine

I see you've been to Salzburg, but there is so much more to Austria than just Salzburg. I am travelling to Villach, Austria next week, only a 2 hour drive from Salzburg. It is a delightful city in the province of Karnten close to the Italian and Slovenian border. Lots to see, castles, spas with plenty of resorts close by. It's also has a major train station through the country and thus caters to tourists as does all of Austria. Also less expensive than the big cities

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 09:18 AM
Amy

Hi again! I have decided on a destination...Spain! I reserved my flight today. However I have questions. I have had a look at the Spain threads and Andalusia threads, and still would like some advice from you experts out there!<BR><BR>I will fly into Madrid Saturday, July 27 and out of Barcelona Friday, August 9. I am traveling solo and want to stick to train travel. I'm afraid I won't feel comfortable driving in Spain alone. I do not want to take any overnight trains, only day trains. I looked at the raileurope and renfe websites, and it looks as though there are not direct trains from certain towns in the south (ie: Granada to Valencia).<BR><BR>I am not a big fan of jumping around every other day. Rather, I like staying in one place for at least 3 nights. I would like to start off my trip in Madrid (where I am flying into) for at least 3 nights and end my trip in Barcelona (where I am flying out of) for at least 3 nights. I definitely want to include Seville and Nerja (sp?)-the cave place that everyone raves about on this board. Cordoba and Granada in the south and Pamplona and San Sebastian in the north also interest me, but do not necessarily have to be seen on this trip. <BR><BR>Would anyone like to suggest a possible itinerary for me? (FYI...I love visiting castles and palaces!) Again, I would appreciate any suggestions you have to offer.<BR><BR>Thanks!<BR>Amy

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 09:34 AM
carol

I've never been anyplace in northern Europe except Engalnd (and Paris and Normandy if you consider that "northern") but Scotland definitely sounds like the most appealing part of northern Europe to visit. You could wear long sleeves and either pants or stockings with your skirts, avoid perfumed shampoos or lotions, and maybe the midgies won't attack you too badly. I think Scotland would be great. (I LOVE Greece, but in August your brain could get cooked by the hot sun, especially since you're accustomed to a much cooler climate.) In your position, I'd pick Scotland for sure.

Old Jun 12th, 2002, 03:52 PM
Judith

Dear Amy:<BR>I've been to Scotland in August and found it to be perfectly lovely. I spent practically the entire month there. The weather was beautiful, some evenings we actually needed a sweater. I never had a problem of any type. It is a wonderful country.

Old Jun 13th, 2002, 01:44 PM
Karen

Amy, I was in Amsterdam and Brugges two summers ago in July and although I'd rather go to Europe in the Spring of Fall, Amsterdam was great as usual. I love that city and there's plenty to do there and in the surrounding towns. I don't recommend Brugges in the summer as it felt way to touristy to me and gets so crowded whereas Amsterdam didn't feel that way. I hear that Maastrict (sp?) is a really great place too. Good luck!