Notices

Anyone stayed at Cumberland Hotel?

Old Jan 23rd, 2000, 03:10 PM
Tom

Anyone stayed at Cumberland Hotel?

We are staying at the Cumberland Feb. 17 - 21 and would appreciate any info about it from someone familiar with it. Location looks great, but can't find a lot about it on the web.
Also, are there any sites where you can make restaurant reservations like WHATSON.COM for theatre tickets?
Thanks for any info you can share! We're getting very excited about the trip!

Old Jan 23rd, 2000, 04:42 PM
Al

The Cumberland is practically on top of the Marble Arch tube (subway) station, at the corner of Oxford St. and Edgware Road. It's a huge, boxy, impersonal place -- but you are going to London to see the sights, and the ambience of the hotel is not numero uno on your list of requirements. Location is excellent for public transportation, shopping, and sightseeing. If you can, I would advise you to request a room on the side of the hotel away from Oxford St. because it is so noisy with traffic. Within a few steps, you can shop at Selfridge's Department Store, a big Marks & Spencer store, and many other specialty shops. You will come away thinking that every big red London bus stops at the hotel's front door. We wish you fun!

Old Jan 24th, 2000, 03:15 PM
Tom

Thanks for the response, Al. It sounds like we've made a decent choice for our first visit to London. As the real estate people say - LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION!

Old Jan 25th, 2000, 09:02 AM
mike

We stayed @ a hotel 1 block away & walked around the Cumberland. It's a big & busy place, but still retains a British flavor. It has a AAA location, directly across from Marble Arch. Be sure to take in Speaker's corner in Hyde Park on Sundays. You made a good choice. We found our hotel concierge extremely helpful with restaurant & theatre reservations.

Old Jan 25th, 2000, 10:21 AM
Lori

We never stayed there but did duck into the lobby to get out of the rain for a few minutes on one of our last visits. While the location is very good the hotel is large and was full of tour groups the day we were in the lobby. While this may not be a bad thing it's good to know!

Old Jan 26th, 2000, 04:38 AM
Dan

Location is great - no doubt about that. Wait until you see the rooms - they're too old and shabby.

Old Jan 30th, 2000, 05:34 PM
Charlie Scruggs

Tom, we stayed @ the Cumberland five years ago and thought it was great. We're going back May 19 for 6 days before going to Wales and Dublin. Location is great. Walk out front door and you can get the bus. Tube station very close. I understand the rooms have been refurbished. Keep me in mind when you get back (email) let me know how your stay turned out. Have a good trip.

Old Feb 1st, 2000, 10:54 AM
tom

Charlie:
THANKS! I feel better now; Dan's post had me a bit concerned about the quality of the place. I'm always happy to hear that someone would return to a hotel. You can count on the reply when we get back. We're only there for a "quickie" (5 days), but plenty of time to gauge a hotel.
Is this your first trip to Dublin? We spent 17 days in Ireland last year, the first week in Dublin. Stayed at the Hotel Central, off Great Georges St. right next to Temple Bar. Feel free to email me if you'd like some info. Happy to share thoughts.

Old Feb 2nd, 2000, 11:34 AM
Mary

My daughter and I stayed at the Cumberland last year for two weeks at end of May. The rooms were very nice, with closet and very ample bath facilities. Towel racks were heated. There are no screens on the windows. Our room was not air conditioned, although that did not matter as we opened the window. One strange thing...I noticed we were not getting face clothes. Upon asking the maid I was told that above the second floor face cloths were not given. I had to ask at the front desk and again, ask the maid.
Very nice restaurant facilities. Tube: Marble Arch, right next to the hotel...it could have an entrance in the hotel, it was so close! Across the street is a little store. Hyde Park is right at your door.

Old Feb 3rd, 2000, 10:20 AM
Charlie Scruggs

Tom, tried to send email it rejected. Please send me email address. thanks charlie

Old Feb 3rd, 2000, 02:32 PM
Tom

Charlie:
I'm an idiot! I misspelled my ISP. Please chect the header here. It's spelled correctly.
Thanks for your input - Tom