COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Anyone know anything about book publication release dates

Old Mar 17th, 2006, 05:14 AM
Original Poster

On Amazon.com I just saw a new edition of a travel book I'd like for our trip this summer. The site says I can pre-order it and it will ship when it is available. The publication date listed is July 1. Does this mean it will not be availble before this date, or do these things sometimes come out earlier? Or, is that he date that Amazon expects to have it, but other retailers could have it sooner?

On the same note, does anyone know how to find out if new editions of travel guides are in the works? The Rough Guide to the area we'll be visiting has a 2004 date. They say they update their guides every 2-3 years, so it is about time for a new one. I tried the Rough website but they don't answer questions from individuals. Thanks.
Old Mar 17th, 2006, 05:46 AM

I have pre-ordered several items from Amazon in the past and that 1 July date would be when they expect to have it ready to ship I believe.
Old Mar 17th, 2006, 05:50 AM

Amazon might get it a little earlier, but you can pretty much expect that it'll be shipped around that date. Amazon is a major player in the book industry, so it's doubtful other outlets would "scoop" them with an earlier selling date.
Old Mar 17th, 2006, 06:07 AM
Original Poster

thanks. I guess that means I'll have to go with the older version as we expect to be in Europe already at that point.
Old Mar 17th, 2006, 06:47 AM

I am an author, and every time I have had a pub date, (also known as the "Launch Date") the books have shipped/arrived early. Every time. On the last one, they arrived 6 weeks early.

So it could be that you would receive the book early, but since Amazon relies on the publisher for delivery, it could actually be July 1 when it ships to you. And yes, other retailers could get it sooner. You could waitlist at Barnes and Noble. You aren't obligated to buy the book, even when it comes in, but that way if time is critical to you they might have it before amazon get it in. I buy nearly all my books from Amazon unless it a time crunch and in those cases I run to B and N.

I know it's confusing. The publishing world is its own little, strange universe!