Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Anyone know about the Royal Albion Hotel in Brighton, UK?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29th, 2003, 04:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just checking on hotels for Brighton and found this one. Looks nice on the outside, but can't find any info about rooms, pictures, etc. Anyone have any input?

Are there other Brighton hotels we should consider? This will be our first stop while in England.

Sheryl
Old Jul 29th, 2003, 10:04 PM

I couldn't place it (having conferenced in Brighton more times than I like to think), and discover that it was burned out in 1998. I suspect it may have changed its name. I know it from looking at the picture, and have attended conference session there. Perfectly adequate; but nothing to write home about- remember that comment is based on pre fire experience.

It is however, in a very central location, right on the front.

However I had a look at trip advisor- it gets panned.

THE hotel in Brighton is the Grand, and it is a grand experience.
Old Jul 29th, 2003, 10:57 PM

We stayed there in 1989. It had just been refurbished and was beautifully decorated. As you look out at the main pier towards the ocean it was just to the right of the pier. I'm very distressed to hear that it burned.
Old Jul 30th, 2003, 01:37 AM

There is a poor photo on www.royalalbion.activehotels.com/THE. It includes the beach huts below the hotel, which are not part of the building. The picture on http://www.travel-hotels-europe.co.u...ast-Sussex.htm gives a better idea. I have stayed there: it is elegant in the Edwardian manner, and the food is fairly good. The site http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...x_England.html has a whole set of complaints, dared 2002: I think the hotel has improved.

It is not Brighton?s oldest hotel: that is the Old Ship, site www.oldshiphotel.activehotels.com/THE. The Old Ship is more central than the Royal Albion: the Royal Albion has big lounges that look out over the Pier and the seafront.

Whichever you are in, five minutes away the Mock Turtle Restaurant at 4 Pool Valley is one of the best cake shops in England, open Monday to Saturday nine to five thirty. The meringues are old-style: if you look at the kitchen window above the café you will see the boxes of fresh eggs, ready for use.

Welcome to England

[email protected]

Old Jul 30th, 2003, 02:52 AM

The Hotel is part of the Britannia hotel chain further details on their website at: www.britanniahotels.co.uk
Old Jul 30th, 2003, 04:39 AM

Don't know how much you want to spend, but the hotel of the moment in Brighton is the Hotel du Vin - beautifil boutique hotel in the centre of town (on the hip side)

www.hotelduvin.co.uk
Old Jul 30th, 2003, 06:34 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone! Yes, I too had seen the reviews on Tripadvisor and that's what raised my concerns. We'll check into some of the others suggested, as well as the websites.

Also, thanks, ben haines london, for the info on the Mock Turtle. That's the kind of stuff we're looking for throughout our trip. We have 16 full travel days on land and want to experience everything we can!

Sheryl