Anyone had stayed at Royal Olymipic?

Mar 7th, 2004, 07:46 PM
Original Poster

Anyone had stayed at Royal Olymipic?

I'd found a very attractive rate for this 5* hotel for 4 nights in the last week of March. Not sure because some rated it 4*. Anybody can give me some idea? This or the St. George?
Mar 7th, 2004, 07:52 PM
yk

Where is this hotel?
Mar 7th, 2004, 07:53 PM
Original Poster

Sorry, it's in Athens.
Mar 7th, 2004, 10:59 PM

The royal olympic is definitely not a 5*hotel.
It used to be rated as a four*, but...-as it has not been renovated for the olympics-...some 3 * hotels have better amenities .

The St george is by far a better deal and if you can afford it, book the Grande Bretagne.
Mar 8th, 2004, 07:29 AM

We stayed at the Royal Olympic two years ago, since it was recommended as "convenient" by meeting organizers. It's a drab, impersonal hotel catering to large tour groups. Definitely in the 3 star category, regardless of what official ratings may be. (It also turned out to be a half hour walk to the meeting site along a busy road without sidewalks!)
Mar 8th, 2004, 07:39 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your info. I'll look into another hotel.
Mar 8th, 2004, 05:45 PM
Original Poster

What about the Eletra Palace or Athens Acropolie?
Mar 8th, 2004, 06:06 PM

The Elektra Palace was closed for renovations when we were there last July but we walked by it and it is in a fantastic location. A friend of ours stayed there just before it closed and liked it then so it must be really nice now.

A little less conveniently located, but also nice is the Elektra -- a sister hotel to the Elektra Palace, I believe. It's still a good location.

I think, also, the Plaka Hotel is a good location but not as nice as the first two I've mentioned.
Mar 8th, 2004, 07:18 PM

I tried to book the Elektra Palace for a few days 4 years ago (before the renovation) and it was full. We stayed at the Royal Olympic instead. Yuck! After a trip to Delphi and Meteora we came back to the Elektra and stayed a couple more nights. It was WONDERFUL. I loved having drinks and pistachios at the roof top bar overlooking the Acropolis. Now that it's been rennovated, I can only imagine it's perfect.