Athens: Hotel Near Plaka

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25th, 2009, 08:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can fellow travelers please recommend a comfortable, clean hotel within 5-10 minutes walk to the Plaka and Syntagma Square, in the 80 Euro price range? We will need working A.C. as we will travel in warm weather. We are 'over 60' so quiet would be a factor also. Thanks.
Old Nov 25th, 2009, 09:32 AM

There are some that will come in that price bracket, but you will need to search on your particular dates as prices vary quite a bit. One hotel to look at is Pan Hotel (I have stayed twice), a couple of minutes walk from Syntagma, 5-10 mins from Plaka & Monastiraki. Also look at Metropolis & Amazon.
Another that is a better class hotel, on the southern edge of Plaka is Airotel Parthenon. Their rack rates are higher, but if you are prepared to pre pay their internet non-refundable rate is very good through this site,
http://www.airotel.gr/index.asp?a_id=177
I have also stayed there twice, going back for the 3rd time for New Year.
Also stayed in Hermes & Attalos, both would be fine if the price comes up right. The Attalos is maybe a bit more dated, but does have a wonderful roof bar with views of the Acropolis.
Old Nov 25th, 2009, 09:37 AM

Stayed in Hotel Attalos last June and would echo previous comment. Decor dated but it's safe and clean and the lovely rooftop bar is a big plus. We also stayed in Hotel Cecil (www.cecil.gr)which was also good value and further up the same street as Attalos (Athinas). This street is a big dingy but we didn't find it unsafe and it's within a stone's throw of the Plaka. It should be noted that most hotels at that price in the Plaka area stand a good chance of being quite noisy because of the traffic volume so it's a good idea to ask for interior rooms where available.
Old Nov 25th, 2009, 09:50 AM

Just read the 'quiet' bit. That would put the Airotel Parthenon & Hermes at the top of the list as they aren't on main streets. With all the others I would ask for a high floor, I had no problem at either the Attalos or the Pan, but some said street noise was more obvious on the lower floors.
Another I have stayed at that is very convenient & quiet, on a side street, near Syntagma, is the Cypria Hotel. It may well come out at more than you want to pay, but again, it varies, worth a look.
Old Nov 25th, 2009, 10:28 AM

Try Metropolis Hotel ... near Syntagma, has roof terrace, if you ask for top floor or next to top, sound shouldn't be a problem; we're staying there in May.
Old Nov 25th, 2009, 10:37 AM
Original Poster

I am grateful for the input on these boards. I think I should have stressed proximity to Syntagma Square, as we will need to use the Airport Express bus. Metropolis is booked for the date we need. Pan seems to have received some criticism for lack of cleanliness recently. Still looking and really appreciate the advice here.
Old Nov 25th, 2009, 10:57 AM

Both the times I stayed at the Pan were this year. Neither time was my room dirty & the bedding was spotless. A bit tired & dated so it will never look pristine without a full refurb, but I wouldn't stay anywhere if I found it dirty, let alone go back again! The bathrooms need some TLC, again, not dirty, more a case of old tile grout & bath sealant, more a case of needing redoing rather than actually dirty.
The Airotel Parthenon is a better hotel & still reachable quite easily. You can either use the metro or the bus from the airport to Syntagma, the walk to the hotel is about 10 mins, or you can change to the metro red line & go one stop to Acropoli station, the hotel is 2 mins walk from there.
Old Nov 25th, 2009, 11:02 AM

BTW, the Cypria is very close to Syntagma, nicer than the Pan, try all the booking sites & see if you can get a good price! The breakfast at the Cypria & the Parthenon are way better than the Pan too!!
Old Nov 25th, 2009, 11:15 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Yiassas. I did check the Cypria and the price is around $180. for a double, lots more than we hope to pay. I truly appreciate your suggestions.
Old Nov 25th, 2009, 12:02 PM

The Pan, Arethusa, Metropolis and Amazon are the 4 hotels closest to Syntagma Square. The Arethusa is literally across the street.
Old Nov 25th, 2009, 07:00 PM

Just to go back to Attalos for a moment. It is more in your price range and it is only 200 meters from the Monastraki Metro station which has a direct train to the airport. The metro does not start running until 6 am so unless you have a very early flight the metro is a very good option to the bus.
Old Nov 26th, 2009, 09:21 AM

I have stayed several times at Hotel Athos on Patrou street.
Old Nov 26th, 2009, 12:14 PM

Hotel Athos is in a great location, but usually comes up at €100 a night for most of the year. If you can get a better rate I would say go for it!
Old Nov 26th, 2009, 07:03 PM

I have a quote from Uli at Dolphin Hellas travel agency in Athens for 77 euros in Mid may and early June for 77 euros. If you book accommodation flights and ferries with Dolphin Hellas with total cost over 350 euro they do not charge any fees. At 77 euro this is one of the few places in your price range.
The thing that I do not see in this posting is when are you going to Greece. This price I have looked at is shoulder season, if you want to spend 80 euro in the high season you had better start looking at youth hostels, or bring a tent because 80 euro will not get you very much.
Old Nov 27th, 2009, 12:37 PM

What about Centrotel Hotel. It looks good and reasonable. It sounds like a not so great location though. Does anyone know anything about it?
Old Nov 27th, 2009, 01:11 PM

Chania and meggies, about Centrotel Hotel ... near Larissa Station -- have you routinely checked via Google for each hotels TA (Trip Advisor) Reviews? For independent travelers, this is a Basic To-Do, even when you get recommends from people on these forums... and sometimes after you read the reviews you don't have to ask further. Here's the list for Centrotel -- read a lot, not just the first few.
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...ns_Attica.html
Old Dec 14th, 2009, 06:20 AM

I agree on choosing Achilles hotel because it is clean and in general I can say that it is a nice place. I also recommend you to check Pan Hotel too, before deciding, because it is also in Syntagma and it has the rates you are looking for. I have found them on this site: http://www.travel-guide-greece.com/H.../Achilleas.asp (for Achilleas) and http://www.travel-guide-greece.com/H...hotels/Pan.asp for Pan hotel.
I hope to have helped you.