Anyone for afternoon tea?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24th, 2023, 09:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A question that seems to come up quite regularly here, I though that this may be of interest to some.. https://www.cntraveller.com/gallery/...on_restaurants
Old Mar 24th, 2023, 10:24 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
of the 37 listed I've had afternoon tea at 14 - would have been 15 but the Brasserie of Light was closed suddenly because of an electrical fault and I couldn't make it back during my visit. Do I spend too much time in London????

Could I get extra credit for multiple visits?? (F&M, The Ritz, The Wolseley, The Savoy, Harrods, Brown's)
Old Mar 29th, 2023, 07:41 AM

Thank you! I've forwarded on the article to my mother -- looks like something we could both enjoy!
Old Mar 29th, 2023, 08:58 AM
Original Poster

You are welcome Jean1968. I have only ever had tea at The Ritz which is arguably the most famous and certainly one of the most "traditional". Very enjoyable, if a tad stuffy! Have eaten and /or stayed at many of the hotels mentioned and they are all very, very good. We are staying at Browns later in the year so may well try it then if we have time.
Old Apr 5th, 2023, 01:10 PM

The original Petersham has come into recent criticism from locals, for trading off its name and no longer offering what they felt was good value for money. We were bound to go there last summer and actually passed that location during our Richmond visit, but never actually experienced it after all. Just sayin'.
Zetter Townhouse belongs on that list in the 'and now for something completely different' category: a quirky approach to tea. Excellent in all regards, right down to the boxing kangaroo.
I am done. the tea
Old Apr 7th, 2023, 09:36 PM

janisj, which is your favorite?
Old Apr 7th, 2023, 10:27 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by SusanP
janisj, which is your favorite?
It has changed over the years. Originally the Ritz was the be all and end all, but my last couple of times (most recent probably 4 or 5 years ago) while still a beautiful room - a real wow factor - and lovely experience it just seemed to slip just that teensy bit. Every seat is booked up far in advance so maybe some of the staff 'send it in'?? But for a 1st timer it probably a really good choice.

If I don't want to spend a fortune - still expensive but not 'Ritz expensive' the Wolseley is great.

My current favourites/favorites for posh/high end are the Savoy, Browns and Claridges - and maybe the Goring.
Old Apr 8th, 2023, 08:50 AM

Thanks, good to know. Lots of choices if my cousin and I ever get there! (Some medical issues for her are making it problematic.)