Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Another "afternoon tea" question: What kind of tea do you prefer?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4th, 2002, 08:29 AM
Just curious

It seems a kind of ritual to have afternoon tea while visiting London. Having done the search,I have gathered all kinds of places for tea,from posh to simple. <BR><BR>But,how about tea? I have read that Breakfast tea not suitable, Darjeelin too light, Ceylon too strong...etc.. So, what kind of tea would you suggest for a nice,relaxing afternoon?

Old Aug 4th, 2002, 08:31 AM
tea lover

What about Earl Grey tea? I rather like it myself but some people refer to it as perfumed tea.

Old Aug 4th, 2002, 08:57 AM
Another tea lover

I am also a tea lover and my favorite is Malange Maxim's Blend. It has a hint of citrus and is delicious.

Old Aug 4th, 2002, 09:48 AM
BTilke

I don't think Darjeeling is too light, I love a nice pot of Mariage Freres darjeeling. But we also like Russian Caravan or Earl Grey.

Old Aug 4th, 2002, 09:59 AM
deniseb

Tetleys! or red label (supermarkets own make kind of stuff) is all ok. Camomile tea is very relaxing before bedtime

Old Aug 4th, 2002, 10:05 AM
Just curious

I have found that Earl Grey is a little too perfumed for my taste also.<BR><BR>I am afraid herb tea doesn't go well with all the sweets and sandwiches.

Old Aug 4th, 2002, 10:23 AM
Dan

I prefer Earl Grey with a little honey and some milk or cream. It is great!!

Old Aug 4th, 2002, 10:29 AM
deniseb

in addition to the above, being a brit I consider myself addicted to tea..I know in US you do not have such a wide ranging selection as we do, and therefore would suggest English Breakfast tea if the above that I suggested are not available. You should just drink camomile tea on its own before bedtime, (not with sweets or sandwiches!), and you might enjoy it. A funny little anecdote - I asked for tea in a motorway cafe in the USA once and the poor girl gave me such a puzzled look.. the tea arrived with an empty cup with a teabag hanging out of it, the teapot with just hotwater and no milk.. aw bless her! suppose she was only used to being asked for coffee

Old Aug 4th, 2002, 11:31 AM
xxx

A glass of hot water with a tea bag on saucer (no tea pot)is the way I have been served tea in Northern Europe including low country.

Old Aug 4th, 2002, 12:21 PM
teagranny

Hi just curious:<BR>As a self confessed tea granny who has tried all kinds I would suggest going to a tea shop that offers you a wide choice. Try lots of kinds as you travel and find out where it's from, it's relative strength and and additives such as oil of bergamot in Earl Grey. (not on eof my favourites but my husband loves it)<BR>Blah to Tetleys and Liptons and all those offering tea dust in a bag! Yuk<BR>and to the last poster the Americans have to be the worst when it comes to a cup of tea. One poor youngster in a chain restaurant on a cross country driving trip looked at me with total disbelief when I asked for tea. she wanted to know if the hot water out of the tap would be ok as they had no other way of boiling water. Give me Europe anyday where I have never! had a tepid cup/pot of tea whether the bag is stuck in the cup/pot or whatever it's always boiling hot from those wonderful hot water/coffee machines that even the smallest of places have.<BR>Check out Marks and Spencers tea ( I love their extra strong or Kenyan blends that can now be purchased overseas in grocery stores) or Taylor's of Harrogate "tea room" blend! very nice . Fortnum and Mason's and Harrods offer lots of choices too.<BR>happy tea drinking.<BR>

Old Aug 4th, 2002, 01:24 PM
BTilke

Whenever a tea thread comes up, some posters invariably claim that tea bags just contain "dust". So I went out to the kitchen and cut open a little cloth teabag of Mariage Freres Darjeeling Himalaya. And it most certainly did NOT contain dust!! The contents were exactly the same as in their loose tea (which we also have). <BR>Cheap teabags may contain tea dust, but a high quality company (like Mariage Freres) gives you high quality tea, irrespective of whether you buy it loose or in bags.<BR>BTilke (Brussels)

Old Aug 4th, 2002, 01:32 PM
teagranny

Hi BTilke:<BR>If you were referring to my comment about "tea dust" you will note that I did specifically note "those offering tea dust in a bag" I wasn't condemning anyone as exalted as mariage de freres etc who offer a consistently quality product. It's those who do not that I have a problem with..........<BR>

Old Aug 4th, 2002, 01:54 PM
Melissa

I am one of those heathens who needs intense, intense flavors in my tea. super fruity (like a berry blend) or super vanilla. With sugar. And sometimes milk. My friend Gayle loves almost any kind of Mariage tea and drinks them with no sugar. My friend Bruce is simply addicted to tea and the social aspect of it so the flavor is amost secondary to the company he keeps!<BR><BR>I guess I'm trying to say it comes down to your personal preference....trial and error.