Tea in Darjeeling,Sikkim & Bhutan

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31st, 2009, 07:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going walking in Darjeeling, Bhutan and Sikkim, and I'm wondering about the hot drinks available. I'm unable to drink the ordinary "black" tea, but I enjoy green tea. As this is a tea growing area I don't want to be accused of "taking coal to Newcastle", but would it be wise to take a supply with me?
Old Aug 31st, 2009, 09:14 PM

I have been to all three places, and have to confess I am not a huge fan of green tea and don’t recall having it there (I am in it for the milk, cardamom, cinnamon and other spices which really requires the stronger black tea used in Indian chais). However, my understanding of green tea is that it is the same tea leaves used in black or oolong, but they are simply subject to less processing (i.e., they are gently steamed and are not fermented). India is a major producer of green teas, not sure about Bhutan. In either case, as the tea leaves are the same, it is just a case of the processing, so in the tea-growing regions where you will be I think you should be able to find dried but unfermented leaves that would serve for green tea. I do not think, however, that you will find powered Japanese green tea if that is specifically what you like to drink. So in that case, you may want to bring along a supply. (You may find it in hotels serving Western/Japanese tourists.)

You will also find good hot chocolate in many places. I’m not a coffee drinker myself, but that seems to be quite readily available in all places as well.
Old Sep 1st, 2009, 09:03 AM
pat

I remember in India (don`t remember where) I ordered tea and then asked what the tea was. It was Lipton!
Old Sep 1st, 2009, 11:21 AM

I was in Sri Lanka a little over a year ago - a real mecca for tea. I found they weren't very interested in green teas, but I could find white teas which are somewhat similar. The places I stayed had wonderful tea - Dilmah, mostly. But somewhere there I was offered tea that was Lipton like Pat, above.

So take along a little green tea, but do sample the white teas as well.
Old Sep 2nd, 2009, 03:55 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Green Tea is now getting popular - due to health conscious people and even Tea Gardens in Darjeeling area manufacture and pack Green Tea. so shall easily find Green Tea in Darjeeling.

So best for you shall be to get Green Tea packs from Darjeeling and carry them with you while visiting Sikkim and Bhutan.

You may even stay in a Tea Garden around Darjeeling while you are there.....one good option is - http://www.glenburnteaestate.com/

Other hot drinks available - "well they have excellent rum and Brandy and even local liquers made of coffee, cherry...

So cheers and I hope you have a great time...

[email protected]
Old Sep 2nd, 2009, 07:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Kathie - I drink white tea at home (I never developed a taste for black, even though I grew up in the UK). "Organic white peony tea" from www.twoleavesandabud.com.
Old Sep 3rd, 2009, 09:23 AM

Very nice... I've been drinking Dilmah Ceylon Silver Tips. We were able to buy it as loose tea in Sri Lanka, but I can only find it in tea bags on the web.
Old Sep 3rd, 2009, 01:00 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. Looks like there is plenty of choice and I won't have to do without hot drinks.
Old Sep 4th, 2009, 02:24 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Welcome Londonres....and it does seem like you shall not be short of choices as far as hot drinsk are concerned...cheers and have a good trip..

Kathie, yes you would not get loose tea on the web. In Sri Lanka I was able to get such a huge choice of Dilah tea's - even fancy Dilmah tea's in all kinds of fruit flavors...and Vanilla etc etc..
Old Sep 4th, 2009, 06:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"
Kathie, yes you would not get loose tea on the web" - the site I posted, www.twoleavesandabud.com, sells loose tea, now including white peony tea.
Old Sep 4th, 2009, 06:46 AM

Fortunately, a friend brought me back lots of tea from Sri Lanka, so I'm fine for now. I don't like to use tea bags, so will likely buy either locally or from twoleavesandabud. It's a great source! We also found it looking around the web for the kinds of tea we brought back from Sri Lanka. And thanks for the specific recommendation, Thursdays.