Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Anyone else had this experience with Grayline Tours?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11th, 2004, 03:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We bought Munich Welcome Cards (for transportation)from the tourist information center when we arrived in Munich last month. Their brochures advertised tours with small discounts. We decided to go to Berchtesgaden on a tour for 75 euros for 2.

After we met the bus, paid and were over half the way from Munich to Berchtesgaden our guide told us we needed to pay another 12.50 euros each for an entrance fee to a salt mine. He said, "I'm sure you all read in the literature...."

When we returned to Munich I read all of the literature and nothing was said about the additional 12.50 euros. I thought it was really a ripoff because we were not told about the extra fee before we boarded the bus, after we had paid for the tour.

When we returned to the states I e-mailed both the Munich tourist office and Grayline. Neither had returned my e-mail to provide information to prove me wrong.
Old Jun 11th, 2004, 08:02 PM

Did you put this on a credit card? If you did, you can contest the extra 25 Euro charge.
Old Jun 12th, 2004, 09:37 AM
Original Poster

Did not put it on a credit card, however we did get signed receipts for the tour and the extra 25 euros. I'm in the process of contesting this with the local Grayline office here in the states. We're surprised no one else has experienced this.
Old Jun 12th, 2004, 03:03 PM

You are assuming that noone else has experienced this because noone else has responded...that means nothing. Undoubtedly this has been experienced by others..it may be that they feelm it unnecessary to discuss, or they don't post here, or both.

I hope you get satisfaction for your efforts.
Old Jun 13th, 2004, 07:17 PM

We've been on a number of Graylines tours over the years. The brochures we've seen have always listed which entrance charges are included and which are not.