Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Anyone changing travel plans due to swine flu?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27th, 2009, 01:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just wondering if anyone has/is changing travel plans due to the swine flu problem. I'm going to Italy next week, how concerned should I be? What would you do? Cancel?

Aranda
Old Apr 27th, 2009, 01:05 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I would NOT cancel a trip to Italy.

I would cancel a trip to Mexico.
Old Apr 27th, 2009, 01:24 PM

As of this writing there is only case in Italy that I have read about. It is a 31 year old woman from the Region of Veneto who just returned from a trip to San Diego (think it was San Diego). She is in isolation in a hospital in Venice. Of course my friends who live in the Region of Veneto just flew home a few days ago from Mexico City. As of Sunday they are thankfully feeling quite well. But planes are sure a place where viruses can be picked up. Like girlonthego I would not cancel a trip to Italy but I would not go to Mexico.
Old Apr 27th, 2009, 01:31 PM

you betcha... I was just about to buy a ticket to Guanajuato and MExico City. Don't think that is such a good idea right now.
Old Apr 27th, 2009, 01:33 PM

Not unless the airlines/government cancels travel. I will leave for Rome tomorrow afternoon for one great week.
Old Apr 27th, 2009, 01:50 PM

Mexico, yes. Italy, absolutely not.
Old Apr 27th, 2009, 04:19 PM
wug

We're going to Italy the end of May. There are more cases of swine flu in Texas, where we live, so..... you bet we're going to Italy!
Old Apr 27th, 2009, 04:21 PM

Yes - the cab driver who drove me home tonight. He and his wife were planning on a vacation in Cancun in June. Now they're going to Cape Cod and Maine instead.
Old Apr 27th, 2009, 04:57 PM

I'm not changing my plans: I'm still going to Germany next month, and I'm still not going to Mexico next month!
Old Apr 27th, 2009, 05:21 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for sharing your opinions and for helping me through this decision. I didn't know about the case in Italy, but you all are giving me great courage, so Italy it is!

Happy trails!
Old Apr 27th, 2009, 05:36 PM

Here's the latest update. NY leading with the most cases

http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu/
Old Apr 27th, 2009, 05:40 PM

Good thing I'm leaving for Italy in a few days!
Old Apr 27th, 2009, 07:31 PM

A friend told me that she heard a public service announcement on the radio today here in Austin from the U.S government advising residents to stock up on bottled water and canned goods and make other "standard disaster preparations". She found it creepy, but plans to go to Costco tomorrow.

Like wug, I am glad we are heading out of state in a few weeks.
Old Apr 27th, 2009, 08:41 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm leaving for London in 10 days and my main fear is -- IF more cases start showing up here in California, the UK authorities might impose extra screening at immigration. So LHR could be even more of a hassle than usual . . . .
Old Apr 27th, 2009, 09:49 PM

In fact for those of us in Europe, the EU has recommended only going to 'affected countries' if absolutely necessary. That technically means no trips TO the US,rather than from . I'm off to see my mother in Canada on May 20, and hoping nothing gets worse. I find it slightly ridiculous that anyone should suggest I don't go to Canada,which is a huge country, because there are suspected cases on the east coast, thousands of kilometres away from where I would be. Just hoping it stays that way.
Old Apr 28th, 2009, 01:09 AM

Agree with Carlux. I'm planning a holiday from the UK to Canada in June. At the moment there seems like a lot of hype about this. I will not be cancelling my holiday, unless forced to by matters outside my control. Obviously I hope this won't develop into something nasty but my fear is that the hype alone could cause panic and maybe travel restrictions.

At the moment only travel to Mexico has been officialy warned against in the UK (by the foreign office) and I heard on the news that flights from Manchester have already been affected. Anyone affected by this would be able to claim on their travel insurance. Any other cancellations, at present, would not.
Old Apr 28th, 2009, 04:53 AM

T4TX: I think that is odd that there would be a public service announcement like that issued in TX. That is a little scary.
We are going to Bermuda in June on a great deal and I do not want to have to cancel that trip for flu either here or there so I hope they clear things up soon for everyone's sake (not just us travelers).
Old Apr 28th, 2009, 05:34 AM

If Paris CDG (and probaly other airports) don't get their act together.. who knows what will happen.

A resident came back from Mexico the other day and showed up at work. He was asked what controls he had gone through, as they knew he had been in Mexico.

The traveller said there had been NO CONTROL at all in CDG when their plane from Mexico landed.

He then proceeded to Valencia, where there was no control either, as it was a flight arriving from Paris.

I sure hope everyone gets organized as there are already a couple cases in Valencia from a group of university students who went on a trip together.

This is exactly how the system breaks down.
Poor control, then some of these people go off to work in public places.. and there we go.. massive exposure.

Everyone take care.. only time will tell how serious this is going to be in Europe.
Old Apr 28th, 2009, 05:43 AM

To clarify: A hospital resident in Valencia, Spain.
Old Apr 28th, 2009, 01:53 PM
Original Poster

My concern is that travel restrictions may be imposed traveling back to the US. If airlines were more concerned about the safety of the world community they would offer the option of canceling flights to anywhere without cancellation fees.

I did read on a news wire that this flu is a combination of elements and therefore could have been created in a lab. As it is the drug companies are salivating at the prospect of selling vaccines.

On a lighter note I'm speculating about eating prosciutto! "They" say it's safe.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -