Reload this Page >

Anyone been to Hogmanay?

Search

Anyone been to Hogmanay?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9th, 2001, 10:01 AM
Jessica

Anyone been to Hogmanay?

Hi there! I'm headed over to London (from the U.S.) for the first time in December. I'm planning on going with a friend up to Edinburgh for Hogmanay. I was just wondering if anyone out there has been, and their experience with it. From what I've heard, it's quite a party!

Old Oct 9th, 2001, 10:12 AM
fiona

Jessica <BR> <BR>There is a web site for the event at <BR> <BR>www.hogmanay.net, which you might find quite fun. I've never been but I'm told there are some things you really need to get tickets in advance for. <BR> <BR>Hogmanay is not a place; it's a time-New Year's Eve-all day. I hope you have a great time

Old Oct 9th, 2001, 11:15 AM
Barbara

Jessica, we were there last year. We joined the First Foot Club over the internet to be sure of having street party tickets. You absolutely cannot get into the street party area (primarily Princes Street) on Hogmanay (New Year's Eve) without a ticket.Lots of people, lots of noise. Heavy police presence so that people feel safe as there is a lot of drinking going on. Different types of live music on open air stages throughout the party area. All the hotels in the immediate area are closed to the general public and only registered guests can get in. The Torchlight Procession down the Royal Mile a couple of days before Hogmanay last year was lovely to watch. You can participate by paying for a torch (it's a fundraising event and I don't remember now what for, sorry). The most amazing thing was that, the following morning(by the time you're up and around, anyway!) Princes Street is completely cleaned up. I would strongly recommend making reservations for accomodation as soon as you can. You will have a a great time.

Old Jan 4th, 2002, 06:49 AM
George

sorry to be so late but for hogmanay's Glasgow is miles better. They say that<BR>"there is more fun at a Glasgow funeral than an Edinburgh wedding"<BR><BR>enjoy your self

Old Jan 4th, 2002, 05:14 PM
frank

Please don't confuse the recent fad for street parties in large cities with the traditional Scots Hogmanay.<BR>Hogmanay is all about visiting neighbours unannounced after midnight & for the following days.There are certain customs & rituals associated with this.<BR>The heart of the tradition is that you cannot refuse hospitality to anyone who arrives at your door at this time of year.This is when you find out all the neighborhood gossip & have a chance to party with people you hardly know.<BR>Going "First Footing" means leaving your home with food & alcohol & casting yourself on the mercy of whoever will admit you.<BR>Strangers are considered lucky.<BR>Generally you stay about an hour and and then dragged off somewhere else.By 4am you are not really sure whose house you are in but couldn't care less.<BR>In the recent past the only people who went to the city centre to celebrate were those who for some reason had nowhere else to go & so could comfort one another.<BR>The city centre events are being promoted by the tourist boards - they may be fun, massive fireworks displays & music, but have zero to do with Hogmanay.<BR>Happy New Year!

Old Oct 4th, 2002, 02:31 PM
lindsey

topping

Old Oct 4th, 2002, 03:29 PM
Maggie

Well said Frank, that is the true spirit of Hogmanay!<BR>Regards<BR>Maggie