Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

which country in europe has the best new year celebrations?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23rd, 2002, 04:21 AM
shane

Where in europe shall i spend my new year? anything like times square?

Old Sep 23rd, 2002, 04:43 AM
Sonia

Hi Shane<BR><BR>Not sure about the glitz of Time Square, but I found Prague was an excellent choice last year. There is certainly plenty to see around New Year and if you find yourself in the packed Old Town Square, just by the astromomical clock at midnight on the 31st, all hell breaks loose! It's almost scary (well, very scary for an instant!) when you see mad Czechs letting fireworks off right beside you, and then you get drenched with champagne as every other person seems to be shaking a fizzing bottle. There are also fireworks over the Vltava and everything was still in full swing when i went to bed. The people were friendly and fun, there was no violence whatsoever and beer is 24 pence a pint!!! I wouldn't hesitate in doing it again. I'm mid twenties but there seemed to be people of all ages...<BR><BR>Trying Venice out this year, hoping it will be as good, but think Prague will be hard to beat.<BR><BR>Hope this helps!<BR><BR>Sonia

Old Sep 23rd, 2002, 04:48 AM
Keith

That's easy. Edinburgh makes Times Square look like a church fete. Concerts in Princes Street and surrounding areas (acts in the past have included Moby and Garbage), the Princes Street Gardens, fireworks from the castle and the Pentland Hills surrounding Edinburgh, and pubs opening until 3am or later.<BR><BR>Princes Street can be crowded, but since the tickets were introduced things have improved. Look at the website www.edinburghshogmanay.com for more info on the whole thing.

Old Sep 23rd, 2002, 07:39 AM
Denise

I spent New Years in Vienna last year. It was magical. There were numerous venues around the inner ring and at the stroke of midnight amidst the fireworks and popping champagne bottles the masters of ceremony called out in German, Italian, Hungarian, Spanish, English, etc. "Everybody waltz" they played the Blue Danube and a mass of thousands of people waltzed to Strauss.<BR>Enchanting.

Old Sep 23rd, 2002, 08:01 AM
kate

Keith's right, the Edinburgh Hogmanay beats em all:<BR><BR>http://www.edinburghshogmanay.org/<BR><BR>Book early to avoid disappointment

Old Sep 23rd, 2002, 08:13 AM
janis

Definitely Scitland in general and Edinburgh in particular. it is an AMAZING party. The entire city center is given over to a huge party and the fireworks above the castle are out of this world.<BR><BR>Many European cities have good New Years celebrations - but Edinburgh is by far the best.

Old Sep 23rd, 2002, 08:51 AM
janis

Oops - that is SCOTLAND (but you probably knew that)