Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Anyone been on the Grand Princess from Southampton?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 6th, 2007, 08:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going with my 23 year old daughter on a Princess Cruise out of Southampton, England on August 9, 2007. We haven't booked our flight as yet and are planning on arriving on August 8th. Been to London and don't want to use any additional vacation time so we are going directly to Southampton. We are looking for an easy way to travel there. Taxis are exorbanent. I'm thinking the bus is a good way as not to have to schlep luggage on a train. (Cruise transfer doesn't work on the way there.) Any ideas??

Do you know of any convenient and good hotels in Southampton.

If you took any of the ship's excursions please tell me your thoughts. Did you do any ports on your own? Any recommendation would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks.
Old May 7th, 2007, 01:08 AM

There are buses direct from Heathrow to Southampton, or you can get a bus from Heathrow to Woking and pick up a train to Southampton from there. See http://www.londontoolkit.com/travel/...outhampton.htm
Old May 7th, 2007, 02:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Living near Southampton, I looked at costs of getting up to LHR last month. The National express coach worked out cheapest at around £30. (make sure you look at the journey times - the direct bus is about 90 minutes, but some go via Bournemouth and take over 4 hours).

For two people I found that a pre-booked taxi worked out fairly reasonable at £50 (this was the cheapest I found).

The Bus to woking and then train to Southampton was very expensive at around £30 each.
Old May 7th, 2007, 07:52 AM
Original Poster

Wrrllw & Willit,

Thank you for your prompt responses. I'm looking at the National Express bus from Heathrow and it appears to be approx 13 pounds one way. Is this correct? Is it less expensive to prepurchase the ticket on line or to go to the window when I arrive?

Do you have any recommendations for Hotels in Southampton?

I appreciate your assistance.
Old May 7th, 2007, 10:11 AM

hottieg747 - yes - £13 is about right - I looked up the journey for two people and it came to £27ish. I would book it online as the buses can occasionally get busy.

The other issue is luggage - how much will you have. From the official site "Luggage is limited to two medium sized suitcases per person, plus one piece of hand luggage on all services.

We can offer no advanced guarantee that excess luggage will be carried, as we have no idea what each customer will bring."

I cannot really help you with hotels, as I very rarely stay in them. The last local hotel I stayed in was the Bell Inn at Brook. It was OK, had a good bar with an excellent menu of "pub food" and had the advantage of being in the New Forest. http://www.information-britain.co.uk...?Place_ID=1392

Another possibility depending on how much time you have after arrival before you need to embark, is staying in, or visiting Winchester.

Winchester is a wonderful historic city only 15 minutes from Southampton by train. I believe the National express bus stops there on route to Southampton.
Old May 7th, 2007, 10:28 AM
Original Poster

Willit,

Thank you so much for your help. You mentioned that a prearranged car rental would be 50 pounds (Sorry, I do not have the symbol on my computer).which isn't too much more than the bus, can you tell me how I would arrange for that?
Old May 7th, 2007, 12:50 PM

I use a local driver/courier. I am not sure if putting his Email address on here would breach board rules, but if you wish to Email me, I can send it on.

jm (at)microbes(dot)fsnet(dot)co(dot)uk
Old May 7th, 2007, 07:07 PM
Original Poster

Willit,

I sent you an e-mail with my address. Many Thanks, C