Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Any suggestions for 3 star hotels in Marais?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2nd, 2018, 10:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any suggestions for hotels in Marais with a price range of 200 euros or less for a double room? Need hotel which does not allow pets on the premises. Have gone to all of the booking sights but would love to hear any personal suggestions. We aren't able to stay in our Marais go-to hotel this spring and are looking for another home. Thanks.
Old Apr 2nd, 2018, 01:05 PM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
Some time ago I stayed at the Hotel Saint-Louis, in a quieter part closer to the river than the very touristy part of the Marais and I loved it. I'm surprised it says only 2 stars, it's well-reviewed and more upscale and so possibly a better deal than a comparable property with 3 stars. Proximity to the river means you're a short walk to the islands and Left Bank as well as the Marais. https://www.saintlouismarais.com/en/
Old Apr 2nd, 2018, 01:10 PM

There aren't really taht many hotels in the Marais to begin with, but that is probably about the general price of a 3* hotel, though, but you can't specify it that way as I presume you wouldn't object to a 4* hotel if it were that rate, or you may have to go to a 2*. But again, that really depends WHEN you want to book this hotel as rates vary by time of year. August is the cheapest. Xmas/NY holidays and early Fall are the most expensive, in general.

It would help if you said which one you don't want to go back to.

It seems to me the most recommended 3* hotels in that area are:
Caron de Beaumarchais
Castex
H Jeanne d'Arc
Grand Hotel Malher
Hotel du Vieux Marais
Hotel Bastille Speria
Hote du Haut Marais if you want to street it a little

I don't like that area so don't stay there much but I did once stay in the Hotel Villa Beaumarchais. I liked it's location as it's away from the mass crowds of most of the Marais, which is what I wanted. It's around Chemin Vert metro, I guess on bd Beaumarchais. It was super quiet as it is in an alcove street king of and the rooms have no outside windows (which many wouldn't like, I'm only there at nioght so don't care. They did have windows, but they looked onto an interior courtyard area/restaurant. It is really a 4* hotel but was a little shabby actually. I don't care about that too much, but it did have a REALLY hard bed. I've had that in some other Parisian hotels, actually, other than that I liked it. I got a much much cheaper rate through booking.com than their own website, I would have never paid what their website's price was.

I suppose that's not what you want, just my only review.

You really need to say which one you don't want and when you are going, though, it would help.
Old Apr 2nd, 2018, 02:45 PM

We once stayed at the Hôtel de la Bretonnerie, and I liked the location. We had a slightly larger room with a small table and chairs, but it looked out on an interior courtyard and there was a bit of noise from the business across the courtyard in the morning. At the time, it was affordable to us; we don't have a big budget.

What I liked about the location was that there were fun shops and at night, the street wasn't too crowded but a little lively when walking home after late dinners.
Old Apr 2nd, 2018, 03:45 PM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
Enjoyed our stay at the Grand Hotel Malher (5 rue Malher) in 2016. Very attentive staff. Got a deal on Booking.com if I remember correctly.

Old Apr 2nd, 2018, 06:44 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you're willing to go up one star and stay near the St Paul Metro, take a look at the Hotel de JoBo
Old Apr 3rd, 2018, 04:22 AM

In case you are American and unaware, the hotel star system in France is not the same as in the USA. So it's often not a good idea to start with the number of stars as the criterion for choosing a hotel.
Old Apr 3rd, 2018, 10:46 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, all, for your suggestions. I am going early June so know I am a bit late for some small hotels. You've given me some names that I was not familiar with--just what I was hoping.
Old Apr 3rd, 2018, 05:43 PM

I've stayed at the Hotel Andrea on Rue St. Bon off Rivoli a couple of times and am actually staying there again later this month. It's very clean and has a superb location for walking everywhere. It's also a block from a Metro station. Only caveat is the rooms don't have views. "Courtyard" doesn't mean what you think it means.
Old Apr 4th, 2018, 09:38 PM

Received 28 Likes on 4 Posts
We enjoyed our stay at Hotel Jeanne D'Arc in the Marais - more here : https://www.tripadvisor.in/ShowUserR...de_France.html
Old Apr 6th, 2018, 09:29 AM

We are booked at Hotel Castex next week
Old Apr 6th, 2018, 11:08 AM

We stayed at Hotel Les Tournelles and really enjoyed it. Right around the corner from Place Des Vosges. Hôtel Les Tournelles - Site Officiel ? Paris
Old Apr 6th, 2018, 12:24 PM
Original Poster

Thank you--I will check it out.
Old Apr 6th, 2018, 12:24 PM
Original Poster

Bon Voyage.
Old Apr 6th, 2018, 12:25 PM
Original Poster

Thanks--I had looked at their website but appreciate your feedback--a much better indicator of a hotel.
Old Apr 7th, 2018, 07:31 PM

We have stayed at the Hotel de Nice five times and really like it. It's right on R. Rivoli, which might not be to everyone's liking...but it has great transport within a couple of blocks and is a five minute walk from Ice St Louis.

The Place Baudoyer street market (Wed & Sat) is right across the street...great for fresh fruit, cheese and rotisserie chicken...which we take back to our hotel room for lunch.

ss
Old Apr 7th, 2018, 07:36 PM

One more thing...I'm pretty sure that the number of stars has little to do with the quality of the hotel...only the onsite facilities/amenities that it has (restaurant, etc.).
Keep that in mind. There could be a 3-star hotel that offers a much more pleasant stay than a nearby 4-star hotels.
ss
Old Apr 8th, 2018, 12:18 PM

Just an FYI: There's a new hotel coming to the Marais -- Hotel Charles V. It's a boutique 4-star hotel that has taken over the former 2 star Hotel du 7eme Art at 20, rue Saint Paul. Years ago, we stayed in the top floor suite of the 7eme Art, which was just ok. Nice staff, no elevator, the suite was simple but comfortable. The regular rooms, however, definitely had a garage sale vibe -- far more shabby than chic. I'm curious to see what the new hotel will be like (and where they put the elevator). Supposed to be opening in Q3/Q4 of this year. Something for Marais fans to keep in mind if their 2019 travel plans include Paris.

Hôtel Charles V - Hôtel 4 étoiles quartier Saint-Paul 75004
Old Apr 9th, 2018, 08:05 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the recommendation. Yes, am aware of stars/amenities. And, thanks for the tip about that market--wasn't familiar with it.
Old Apr 9th, 2018, 08:05 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. Very interesting. I'll keep it in mind for our next trip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -