Any shopping in Florence on Sunday?

Nov 14th, 2006, 02:10 PM
Original Poster

Any shopping in Florence on Sunday?

We will be in Montepulciano next June and since most things in Montepulciano are closed on Sunday, we are thinking of making a day trip to Florence. Is the market open on Sundays? I know that the Accademia Museum is open and was hoping there would be a market and/or shops open also. As always, thanks for any help you can give on this.
Nov 14th, 2006, 02:22 PM

We arrived in florence on a Monday and left on the following Saturday, but I'd be surprised if the good burgers of florence would miss any opportunity to relieve the tourists of some more cash. I suspect that the san lorenzo and other big markets will be open [probably not the food markets though] and most of the shops - certainly enough for a day. The uffizi and other web-sites should help with the museums etc. You've certainly got enough time to plan.
Good luck!
Nov 14th, 2006, 02:26 PM
Fairhope

yes

Theme: Local Craft
Directions: The San Lorenzo Market is located around the San Lorenzo church on Via del canto de Nelli, Via dell Ariento and Via Sant Antonino (every day from 9.00 to 19.30).

Nov 14th, 2006, 02:26 PM

Most shops will be closed on Sunday. You will find some open, of course, and the big department store is open until late afternoon, but Sunday is NOT an optimal shopping day in Florence.

Do a search for the San Lorenzo market; I won't swear to that one either way. Im pretty sure that the Straw Market, which has less hours, is not open on Sunday.

June, however, is such a busy month. We see many stores closed in March when we go each year. June may be better.

But a great way to spend a Sunday if you are going to the Accademia anyway, is to visit the Boboli Gardens and walk up to San Miniato.
Nov 16th, 2006, 01:43 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the great answers. That is the information I was looking for. I know that Sunday won't be the optimal shopping day. I have been shopping in Florence before but this time I am taking some friends who want to go to the Accademia and do a little shopping. Sounds like this is doable. Thanks again.
Nov 16th, 2006, 08:41 AM

The shopping stalls around the Mercato Centrale are open on Sunday. Lots of glass jewelery, leather, textiles, etc.