Help Italy Honeymoon Itinerary

Nov 15th, 2006, 07:53 AM
Original Poster

Help Italy Honeymoon Itinerary

My finacee and bought tickets to rome last week for our honeymoon. I was wondering what everyone thought of this itinerary...

March 28th to April 7th
Fly in and out of rome (can't change this)
we will be using the train

Rome 3 nights-guided tour of rome one day, maybe take one day and go to Ovierto (leave after palm sunday mass for venice)
Venice 2 nights
Cinqueterre (vernazza) 3 nights-possible take one day and go to pisa
rome last night-stay close to airport.

Has anyone ever been to palm sunday in rome? My finacee really wants to be in rome for it. Also, I will really wanted to go to the tuscany region but i don't see how we can fit it in. We are not that interested in seeing Florence. I will take any advice that people have, on places to stay or see. Thanks for your help!

Nov 15th, 2006, 08:03 AM

Is this supposed to be a romantic honeymoon or a whirlwind race for pins on a map?
Nov 15th, 2006, 08:03 AM

So I guess you have 9 nitght total? Correct? I would consider getting a connecting flight upon arrival, to Venice. STart there and wiork your way south, to avoid the backtracking at the end of the trip. The you can spend your last few nights in Rome, and just take a cab to the airport on youi departure day.

Have you ever been to Italy before? If not, I think you should spend more time in both Rome and Venice. I have never been to CT, so I can't comment, but I think Venice needs a 3 night min., especially given it's your honeymoon. Maybe after Venice you can spend a night or 2 somewhere in Tuscany (maybe Sienna), and do a daytrip to Pisa, then spend the last 4-5 nights in Rome.

If you have your heart set on CT, than, skip Tuscany.
Nov 15th, 2006, 08:07 AM

Hi Jane,

I was in Rome one Palm Sunday. Lots of sights were closed, including the Sistene Chapel. We did not attend mass, but observed it from the top of Castello S'Angelo. What a crowd! When mass was over and the crowds thinned out, we went over to St. Peter's and caught a wonderful Rennaisance parade, then saw the Pope (John Paul) come out to bless the people beneath his window.

I have no idea how early you would have to go to get a seat, or even standing room for mass.

Regarding your itinerary. With only 3 nights in Rome, I don't think you will have time or want to do a day trip to Orvieto. Also, take one night from CT and add to Venice!

Note: The major cities will be very busy that week!

Buon viaggio!
Nov 15th, 2006, 11:38 AM

Italy has so many great destinations that you could not possibly go wrong. But for honeymoon romance, it would be difficult to beat Capri. If it were my honeymoon, I'd want to keep the stressful travelling around to a bare minimum and enjoy some relaxation after the stress of a wedding. I'd spend three days in Rome, hop a train to Napoli, and then park it in Capri for 4 or 5 days. Enjoy what the Italians call "la dolce far niente," the sweet doing nothing!

I was there this year at the same time (April 1-5) and it was great because the island was just starting to open up for the season. The weather was perfect (highs around 75F), the prices were cheaper, and the crowds were minimal. The ocean is too cold for swimming, but not too cold to enjoy in a boat.

For a hotel suggestion, try La Residenza. They upgraded us to a suite at no charge because the hotel was only about 1/3 full.

For a restaurant, try Da Gemma.

Buon Viaggio!
Nov 15th, 2006, 12:04 PM
ira

Hi J,

As interesting and beautiful as the CT is, I would not trade 3 nights in Rome or Venice to go there.

Also, weather on the coast is iffy that time of year.

The time you have is good for visiting 2 places.

I agree with MFNYC, go directly to Venice, 4 nights and then come back to Rome.

Or visit Rome and the CT.

Happy honeymoon.

Nov 15th, 2006, 08:34 PM

As a younger man (30), being in italy twice with your time frame I would skip venice. It's incredible but if you want a taste of italy don't bother. Here is my opinion. Take 2 nights 3 in rome (vatican 1 day, old rome 1 day, evenings plaza's trevi fountain, pantheon, spanish steps), short train ride to assisi- afternoon evening (catch an incredible sunset, incredible food), train to florence 1 or 2 nights, incredible taste of tuscany, good eats good art very romantic. Short train to CT two nights is all you need. Hike and swim(mayber to early to swim) during the day relax, eat, have sex in the evening. 4 Hour train back to rome and your home. It maybe squeezing in too much but a great taste of italy. Your young, you'll sleep later. We did this same trip and wern't too tired for things that freshly married couples should doooo.. The excitement was quite stimulating if you know what I mean. If you stay too long in one local, in my humble opinion, you get lazy. Enjoy italy, maybe it's the wine but its the my favorite place for "quality time".
Nov 15th, 2006, 09:24 PM

If you don't want a car, then nix Tuscany.
And CT is questionable on weather.

I agree with flying directly to
Venice - 3 nights.
Then Florence - 3 nights
(you can do day trips to Tuscany fr Florence)
Then Rome - 3 nights.
Nov 16th, 2006, 02:57 AM

I agree with the others. For this trip I would choose just two destinations. 3 days in Rome is cutting it, and with a day in Orvieto you definitely won't have enough time to even scratch the surface.

I would propose Rome and Florence (with a daytrip from Florence to Tuscany) or Rome and Venice. For your honeymoon you don't want to be too rushed.

Good luck and congrats!

Tracy
Nov 16th, 2006, 03:22 AM

My husband and I had a very similar itinerary for our first trip to Italy. This is how we worked it: Flew into Venice - 2 nights, train to Florence - 3 nights (Tuscan wine tour one day - wonderful! highlight!), train to Pisa, climbed tower, train to Lucca (very relaxing town, rode bikes on the wall around the town)- 1 night. Train the next day to Siena - 1 night. Train to Rome - 3 nights. Fly home from Rome. It was a busy itinerary, especially the 1 night stops, but still great! We saw a lot! Really left with a good feel for Italy. Venice and Rome were our favorites! Florence was ok, but we're not huge into art. We loved it for it's location. We stayed at Villa La Sosta - wonderful! and they offer a wine tour for the day - it was fantastic! Highlight of our trip. You definitely could knock out a night in either Lucca or Siena and add to Venice. 3 nights in each (Venice, Florence, Rome) would be perfect. Pisa makes an easy side-trip from Florence. Make sure you climb the tower though, not the same to just look at it. Enjoy! There is nothing better!
Nov 16th, 2006, 08:09 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone!
Nov 16th, 2006, 08:45 AM

I agree with everyone who says that you should skip CT for more time in Rome/Venice. As touristy and dynamic as those cities are, they are romantic simply by virtue of their beauty, history, and great artistic and cultural experiences. Also, I would definitely skip Pisa. I've spent 8+ months in Italy (3 separate trips), and I would say that Pisa was probably the least memorable of all of the places I went. A nice alternative (easy to get to as a day trip from Venice) would be Verona - even if it's a bit cliche to see Juliet's balcony, I found the city very beautiful and the atmosphere quite romantic.