Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Any rec's for special place to stay in Gordes-Roussillon-Bonnieux area?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11th, 2007, 01:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Planning an anniversary trip to Provence which will include two nights in the Luberon -- I like the looks and reviews for Le Bastide de Gordes (particularly the dramatic views, architecture, and luxurious terraces) but can't afford one of their Valley-View rooms. Can anyone recommend a similarly dramatic and luxurious place to stay in this area, but under the 250 euro mark? I've checked out Mas Des Romarins, which comes close, but I'm afraid the rooms and bathrooms maybnot quite as high-end as I'm looking for (hard to tell from the website). Again, this is an anniversary experience, so I'm seeking something memorable all around

Thanks for the help. This is a amazingly useful board!!

Old Jan 11th, 2007, 01:37 PM

The Bastide de Capelongue, right outside of Bonnieux. Small rooms, with the exception of one called Simione. View from the terrace at sunset, with the town off to the right and the mountains beyond is special to say the least. May wish to drive a trip down to Le Feniere [20 minutes] for one dinner. The hotel restaurant is very good.
Old Jan 11th, 2007, 02:12 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Ron, how is the food these days? Edward Loubet took over and the moulin de Lourmarin, his former kitchen, is supposed to be less expensive now but the chef is one trained by him.
Old Jan 11th, 2007, 07:06 PM

I haven't been there in a couple of years, so can't say.
Old Jan 12th, 2007, 04:29 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the tip on Bastide de Capelongue -- I'll check it out. Any other thoughts out there?

Can anyone who's stayed at Le Bastide de Gordes give me a description of the "Village View" rooms and are worth the cost?
Old Jan 12th, 2007, 06:22 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
In the Vaucluse, not too far from Gordes, is the one of the most romantic places you will find, the Hostellerie Crillon-le-Brave. It's been my choice for a night on my birthdays or anniversary.

http://www.crillonlebrave.com/
Old Jan 12th, 2007, 07:49 AM

Another option where we stayed in October is near Gordes, Le Mas Herbes Blanches, a Relais and Chateaux property. We had a south facing room which looked out into the valley. The room was small, however the terraces and grounds were delightful. The dinner was outstanding, but expensive.

A dinner at Ferme de la Huppe, about ten minutes away, is not to be missed.

www.herbesblanches.com
Old Jan 12th, 2007, 08:01 AM

Not a hotel recommendation but one of the memorable experiences we had in Provence is visiting the famed olive mill, Coopérative oléicole de la Vallée des Baux, mentioned in "A Year in Provence". We hauled back armfuls of olive oil and soap. Now everytime we use these oils, it IS like tasting sunshine from Provence!
Old Jan 12th, 2007, 09:17 AM

You are correct. Hotel des Romarins does not have high end rooms. They have a stupendous view and good food. I vaguely remember my complaint was a gritty feeling like some of the grout was coming out of the floor tiles. However, we were in the oldest part of the building.