any problems with using VRBO for italy apartments

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3rd, 2007, 05:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am considering renting thru this site for Rome and Florence and i am wondering if anyone has had a bad experience using this group. Are they pretty reliable about posting accurate pictures and representation of the apartment?
Do you have other resources I should check? We are travling in Oct and need 2 rooms for 2 couples
Old Sep 3rd, 2007, 06:05 AM

I have never used them for Europe rentals but frequently use them for the United States. We have been very happy! No problems at all and would recommend them. I don't know if it is different in Europe, though, sorry I can't be of more help.
Old Sep 3rd, 2007, 06:34 AM

That's a website with ads from private owners. The website itself doesn't do anything, it's not a rental agency. An owner can post any photo he or she wants, I believe, and one owner in Rome could be great and another terrible. I think VRBO can take action if they get a whole lot of serious complaints about someone, but really, it's like reading ads in a newspaper.
Old Sep 3rd, 2007, 07:37 AM

As another poster pointed out, VRBO is not a rental agency - rather it offers apartment and home owners a way to advertise their wares, so to speak. If you decide to pursue a listing, you will be dealing directly with the owners.

That said, we have used VRBO three time is Canada and in the USA, with mostly good results.

Our most recent VRBO rental, in Seattle, was a little bit less inviting than the lavish photographs on the website led us to believe - the neighborhood was described as "vibrant and exciting" - but it was really a lot of grungy punk clubs (NOISY at all hours of the night into the wee hours) and there were homeless people sleeping in doorways until about noon every day. Tha apartment itself was okay, but the photos sure made everything look a lot better than the reality was.

We have had two other rentals that were perfect - one was even better than we had expected. I think it's important to communicate with the owner and let him/her know exactly what you're looking for and if there are any concerns, be sure to address them before you put down any $$$.

We are traveling to Greece and France in a month, and have booked through VRBO apartments in Athens and Paris, so you can see we are not so discouraged that we have given up on VRBO.

In my opinion, having use of a kitchen is the biggest money-stretcher when traveling - so even if the apartment isn't perfect, I am still happy to not be in a hotel and paying top dollar (or Euro) for every cup of coffee and every snack.
Old Sep 3rd, 2007, 08:30 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
not to belabor the point - but as the others say -- VRBO is <u>not</u> a rental agency. You do not rent from them. It is just an on-line version of a newspaper's classified ads. So good or bad experience entirely depends on which apartment/owner you choose.

Do your homework and you will be fine . . . . .