Can old Carte Oranges still be used?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10th, 2007, 11:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I have old Carte Orange cards (with the gray folders) from our 1999 trip to Paris. Glad to say, our old pictures still look a lot like us. Can we use those cartes (with their old 1999 registration numbers) when we buy our new mensuelle coupons, or will the registration numbers look so out of date that the ticket seller will require us to provide new photos for new cartes?
Old Jun 10th, 2007, 11:30 AM

I do not see why not.Since you are going to buy a new ticket. We always use are old CO.
Old Jun 10th, 2007, 11:34 AM

They don't have any dates of limitation on them, so I don't see why not. I use one that is about four years old, but usually have updated my photo more often than once every 8 years (often because I forgot my old one, though). I doubt if the ticket seller pays much attention to the numbers, actually, but if you have the ID card, you can actually buy the weekly ticket from a machine, not a clerk (at least used to be able to, haven't been there in almost a year).
Old Jun 10th, 2007, 11:36 AM

oh, sorry, I see you want a monthly ticket. I think you could buy those from a machine, also, but haven't ever bought one in quite a few years.
Old Jun 10th, 2007, 11:53 AM

We've been using ours since 1996. Just make sure you write your number on your ticket.
Old Jun 10th, 2007, 12:30 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
The RATP keeps saying that the paper Carte Orange will soon be eliminated. I'm sure that they don't have a specific date yet, because they are keeping track of how many coupons are sold every week/month compared to the microchip NaviGo cards -- but sooner or later, it's going to happen.
Old Jun 11th, 2007, 05:01 PM

I also have the gray one and have been using that particular one, almost annually, since I got it in the 80s, I think it was. Thank goodness I'm still recognizable. Smiles. Happy Travels!
Old Jul 22nd, 2007, 09:13 PM

We are headed to Paris 8/12/2007 and hope to buy Carte Orange for the following 6 days. Where is the best place to buy? We arrive CDG and will take RER to Port-Royal. The apt we've rented is near Luxembourg Gardens (Vavin or Raspails Metro). The RATF website makes it look as though the CO no longer exists and steers English speakers to the Visite Pass. Advice? Most recent CO purchaser?
Old Jul 30th, 2007, 02:28 PM

The RATP never did show the C.O. info in English. But it's still there in the French version. You can buy it at the RER ticket window at CDG; if you're using it to pay for the RER into Paris, you need one for 5 zones and it has to be a Monday-Wed that you're arriving.
Old Sep 1st, 2007, 06:49 AM

Hello,

DO they speak English at the RER ticket stations?
Or do I have to learn how to ask for the Carte Orange in French?

Also, we are in PAris for 12 days.

If we buy for the 5 zones on the way in is it much more than zones 1 and 2.

Or should we just buy for 1& 2 and pay separate for the train to Paris on the way in.

Thanks
Old Sep 1st, 2007, 07:08 AM

Shergia,

A zone 1-2 Carte Orange costs €16.30. For zone 1-5 it's €32.10. A single ticket from CDG to Paris costs €8.20.

The Carte Orange is good Monday-Sunday. You can buy it through Wednesday for the current week. No sales on Thursdays. If you buy it Friday-Sunday, it won't be valid until Monday.
Old Sep 1st, 2007, 07:39 AM

Thanks,
I will do the separate trip.

But can I ask for this in English with no problem ? I have made my pictures.

I have one probably stupid question, but are there plenty of drinking fountains around.

Merci
Old Sep 1st, 2007, 08:00 AM

Shergia, you may luck out and get an agent that speaks - or is willing to speak - English, but your best bet is to be prepared to stumble through the transaction as best you can in French. Something like this would work:
After greeting the agent with a brief smile and "bone-joor", hand over your photo and say "zhe voo-dray oon cart heb-doh-mah-dare, doo zone seel voo play"
That phonetic approximation will curdle the marrow of purists but it will get the job done.
And to answer your other question - there are drinking fountains but not many. If you need a reliable source of water at all times get a bottle and carry it with you, refilling as needed.
Old Sep 1st, 2007, 08:06 AM

You can also limit your foray into French with the obligatory "bonjour, Madame(Monsieur) - s'il vous plait..."
and slide your photos, credit card/cash, and a print out of the C.O. information circled (which zones/price, and how many)...
Old Sep 1st, 2007, 08:08 AM

This just in - at long last info in English is posted online! Looks like the new Navigo Découverte will replace the reusable paper ticket with a rechargeable smart card that will have a ten year validity.
http://tinyurl.com/36h6zs
Old Sep 2nd, 2007, 09:56 PM

Seamus & Travelnut, Merci

I plan to get the Carte Orange when we arrive at CDG. I would hope they have bi-lingual agent there.

Can the pictures be photocopies or do they have to be on glossy paper.

One more question, We are staying in an apartment. supposed to be very nice but when I asked if we could dring the water I was told to be safe not to and to buy water. What do you think.

Thanks again
Old Sep 2nd, 2007, 10:54 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Drink tap water.
Old Sep 3rd, 2007, 06:17 AM

I wouldn't try using a photocopy of yourself to get a Carte Orange. Technically, it's supposed to be a new, non-scanned, non-photocopied photo.

Paris isn't some third world country without clean water, why would someone tell you that. Routinely drinking bottled water for no reason is bad for the environment. There are probably billions of bottles a year that go to waste because of people drinking bottled water needlessly. Even when recycled, virgin petroleum must be used to make other bottles out of them, not to mention the energy and other concerns. Bottled water is very bad for the environment due to the use of energy to create and transport them, not to mention the waste when they are discard. There is no reason whatsoever for people to drink it when the regular water is safe and clean.
Old Sep 3rd, 2007, 06:49 AM

Christina,

Thank you. I am happy to know we can drink the water.
Do they offer tap water at restaurants or do they try to have you buy the bottled water.

I found some more photos for the Carte Orange pass. Can the picture be cut anywhere from 1 to 1 1/2"

Merci

Old Sep 3rd, 2007, 07:08 AM

one of the websites says the photo should be "format 35 x 41mm" (which is a little over 1 3/8 x 1 5/8 inches).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -