Any Paris airport to London Gatwick

Old Mar 28th, 2007, 10:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any Paris airport to London Gatwick

Does anyone know of a carrier that flies from any of the Paris airports to London Gatwick?

I cannot seem to find any but maybe I am missing something.

This is for older friends. I suggested flying CDG to LHR and taking a car service if they cannot find a direct flight.

Thanks
Old Mar 28th, 2007, 10:30 AM

I know that American Airlines does and I would assume British as well
Old Mar 28th, 2007, 10:33 AM

American Airlines flys from Paris to London Gatwick??????
Old Mar 28th, 2007, 10:47 AM

I thought they did. Looking at their website I see that it lists the other One World carriers that fly into LGW. Sorry.

You might want to go to a consolidators website like www.sidestep.com and see if they can tell you.
Old Mar 28th, 2007, 11:45 AM

There aren't any. Nor are there flights from Paris to Stansted.

If you want to fly then it's to Heathrow, Luton or London City

BUT if you are going to that level of hassle, just get the Eurostar instead
Old Mar 28th, 2007, 12:02 PM
Original Poster

The flight from CDG to LHR arrives at 8:05 which would work but factor in at least a two to three hour connect.
I am thinking a three hour connect but with a car service they might be able to cut that down.
Anything else I don't think would get them into Gatwick in time to take their flight which I believe is early afternoon.
I will check Eurostar.

Thanks everyone.
Old Mar 28th, 2007, 12:16 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Three hours is not long enough to connect LHR to LGW. Be sure to factor in at least 4 FULL hours, 5 would be better.

Count on a minimum of 1 hour on the ground at LHR before they'd get on the coach and that is very optimistic. (no real advantage to using a car service - they have to drive on the same route as the Airport coach) Then another hour from LHR to LGW. Then 90 mins to 2 hours at LGW.
Old Mar 28th, 2007, 12:28 PM

Are they truly trying to connect AT CDG or will they have to go there from Paris.
If they are in Paris, then the Eurostar is much easier.
Old Mar 28th, 2007, 03:12 PM
Original Poster

I guess I underestimated the time for the transfer.

I thought a car service would be easier as since there are two of them the cost isn't that unreasonable. And a car would be waiting for them at arrivals with their name and take them directly from LHR to LGW with no looking for the coach, etc.

The last leg of their vacation is in Paris, so they do not have to travel to CDG. I think they would rather fly.

But I am wondering if it is reasonable for them to think they can get there in time to fly out early afternoon?
Old Mar 28th, 2007, 11:17 PM

Why are they so determined to fly to an airport 60 miles from the airport they need to be.

Rather than fight their way out to an airport, undergo all the ritual humilations that flying entails and go through a similar ritual on landing, why don't they get the Eurostar train from the CENTRE of Paris to the CENTRE of London. It takes 3 hours so an 8:00am departure will get them to London by 10:00am

Then it's a taxi to either London Bridge or Victoria station and a train to Gatwick.

If they decided to fly then in 3 hours they'd be lucky to have departed CDG, let alone be withine an hour of their final destination

Old Mar 29th, 2007, 02:14 AM
Original Poster

Alan. I think I will tell them that in a diplomatic way.

Thanks.
Old Mar 29th, 2007, 04:55 AM

So we're talking about them being in Paris and needing to get to London Gatwick to fly home? Let me picture this. They can take a taxi (or other means) from their hotel in Paris to Nord, take the Eurostar to London and then a car service (or other means to Gatwick). Or they can do the hour trip to CDG arriving two hours before their flight, fly to some other airport in London, arrange transporation to Gatwick and go home.

Give it up. They need to take Eurostar to London. (I'd then do a taxi to Victoria and the Gatwick express.

I assure you that door to door it is less time with the Eurostar than flying. And certainly a whole lot less stress and trouble!
Old Mar 29th, 2007, 05:51 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
There are also car services to LGW from the Ashford (Kent) Eurostar station that might enable a faster transfer.
Old Mar 29th, 2007, 05:59 AM

We did just what NeoPatrick is suggesting last week and it worked like a charm. We flew to London Gatwick, took the Gatwick Express to the city, worked our way to Waterloo, hopped on the Eurostar for a very relaxing ride to Paris Gare du Nord, caught a taxi to the hotel. 5 days later we did this in reserve - couldn't have been any easier. We couldn't find convenient flights from Gatwick to CDG and since we were staying in Paris, the train was a better option anyway.
Old Mar 29th, 2007, 05:59 AM

Good point, Gardyloo. I always forget them when the Gatwick/Eurostar connection comes up.
Old Mar 29th, 2007, 06:14 AM

This may be getting ahead of things a bit, but from 14th November 2007 the Eurostar will leave from St Pancras rather than Waterloo. Journey time to Paris will be 2 hours 15 minutes, and to Brussells 1 hour 51. St Pancras is served by First Capital Connect trains from Gatwick, and by the Piccadilly line from Heathrow, both with no change of train being required.

St Pancras will have Europe's longest Champagne bar, and you can read about this and other delights at www.stpancras.com.

In a year's time, Terminal 5 at Heathrow will open, with its own station for Piccadilly Line and Heathrow express trains.
Old Apr 8th, 2007, 03:00 PM
Original Poster

Just heard back from my friend.

They decided to do the Eurostar to London and make their way to Gatwick (they didn't tell me how). They plan to stay near Gatwick.

Maybe they have an early flight out and not a mid-morning one.

anyway. I am glad they decided to do the Eurostar.