Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

London - We arrive at Gatwick Airport at 3.pm and would like to take the Eurostar...

Search

London - We arrive at Gatwick Airport at 3.pm and would like to take the Eurostar...

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15th, 2006, 02:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

to Paris. How much time should we allow to get to Waterloo stn, or should we just fly to Paris? Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
Old Feb 16th, 2006, 12:54 AM

You could make it for a train leaving around 5.30pm or 6pm, arriving in Paris around 9.30 or 10pm local time (Paris is an hour ahead). If your main aim is getting to Paris, fly direct, or, if you have to, change planes at Gatwick.

What you can see from the train ride doesn't really justify the extra time and expense, if that's your only reason for wanting to get to Paris that way.
Old Feb 16th, 2006, 03:29 AM

There aren't any flights to Paris from Gatwick so that's a non-starter and it would be insane to travel to another London Airport.

Travel time from Gatwick to Waterloo is about 45 minutes BTW BUT remember to allow time to get through immigration etc.

http://journeyplanner.tfl.gov.uk will tell you the possible routes as there are several & each have their advantages & disadvantages

Personally I'd just fly to Paris unless you want to spend 100USD extra so you can arrive in Paris several hours later
Old Feb 16th, 2006, 06:59 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
It sounds like you already have your tix into LGW since you gave us an arrival time. If so, you are sort of up a creek - because as Alan says there are no flights to Paris from LGW (I only learned that a few days ago when I also recommended someone fly directly on to CDG - this site is soooo valuable)

Anyway - I might consider a whole other option W/ a 3 p.m. arrival I personally would not book A Eurostar until after 7 p.m., otherwise you will be just really rushed.

So given that you won't be getting in to Paris until late at night if you take the Eurostar, why not spend the night in London. You can get a terrific 4 star hotel using Priceline for well under $100. And for the next day you can book any Eurostar you want. That way you can get over your jet lag sleeping in London instead of trudging across to Paris.
Old Feb 16th, 2006, 07:16 AM

And you will at least be travelling in daylight, so you could see something (albeit not a lot) rather than nothing. Apart from when you're in the tunnel, of course.
Old Feb 16th, 2006, 08:27 AM

Seems like you're not leaving much time for planes to be late, long lines at immigration, transit time to Waterloo and fact that you must check in on Eurostars at least 30 minutes early to be guaranteed boarding.
Last train leaves London for Paris at 18:42 Mon-Fri - 6:42pm, on Sun 19:09 and Sat 18:12. If you book the cheaper tickets on Eurostar they are often non-refundable or changeable. I too advise holing up in London for the night and leisurely taking the Eurostar the next day.