Any new news about T5?

Search

Any new news about T5?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28th, 2008, 09:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any new news about T5?

Is there any substantive new news - not just complaints - about T5?

I have a business trip next week and it looks like we will have to land there (from Zurich) and transfer to T3 (AA to JFK).

Is it operating at all?

And how long is it taking to get to other terminals? (We're landing at 18 and our flight out is at 20 - but Business, carry-ons only.)
Old Mar 28th, 2008, 09:53 AM

<i> HEATHROW, England (Reuters) - British Airways cancelled a fifth of flights from its new $8.6 billion terminal at London's Heathrow airport on Friday as chaos from its opening spilled into a second day.</i>

http://www.reuters.com/article/marke...0080328?rpc=44
Old Mar 29th, 2008, 07:04 AM
Jed

Third day: http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/...ed-in-T5-chaos

&quot;A spokeswoman for BAA said it was &quot;looking into&quot; the complaints about the phones and lifts but claimed: <b>&quot;Everything is running quite smoothly. Everything is going absolutely to plan.&quot;</b>
Old Mar 29th, 2008, 07:43 AM

&quot;Everything is running quite smoothly. Everything is going absolutely to plan.&quot;

That invites the question: what is the plan?

Perhaps it is an environmental measure, designed to dissuade people from flying.
Old Mar 29th, 2008, 08:53 AM

This Just in:

Fallout from the new Terminal 5 at Heathrow continues. Minimum Connecting Times (MCTs) involving connections between Terminal 5 and all the airport’s other four terminals will be extended to 120 minutes for the new facility’s first full flying season. (ie) through October 2008.
Old Mar 29th, 2008, 09:11 AM

Hopefully, BAA and BA will get it together by 2012....
Old Mar 29th, 2008, 10:34 AM
Original Poster

OK - here's a question for the experts. We arrive at 18 from Zurich at T5. Our choices to NYC (last flights outs) are AA (T3 at 20:05) or BA (T4 at 20:00).

T3 looks closer to T5 - but I don't know what pattern the airport buses take.

Which of these do will be a faster connection?
Old Mar 29th, 2008, 11:02 AM

I'm surprised the BA flight is from T4 not T5. Out flight to Phoenix in May is from T5.
If the T5 saga continues until next week you must check that your flight from Zurich is going ahead. It is mainly domestic and European flights that are being cancelled.
Old Mar 29th, 2008, 11:40 AM

Use alternates! Dublin or Shannon. Gatwick and Stansted are also probables.
Old Mar 29th, 2008, 11:43 AM
Original Poster

We're already booked. And there's some sort of convention in Basel that has made getting ANY seat out of Zurich practically impossible. Plus most airports don;t have flights to the US that late in the day - we're stuck with LHR I think.

As for terminals - I was just on the LHR web site and it shows the flights departing as I indicated - probably because it's next week.
Old Mar 29th, 2008, 12:01 PM

Is there expected to be (or has there been) disruption for BA flights out of Gatwick, as fallout from the problems at Heathrow? We're scheduled on a BA flight from Gatwick to Bordeaux on 3 April.
Old Mar 29th, 2008, 12:08 PM

Press release from British Chamber of Commerce:

<i>&quot;The shambles we have seen at Heathrow's new Terminal 5 comes as little surprise. It is yet another depressing chapter for the UK's crumbling transport system and sends a depressing message to businesses around the world.

&quot;This is a PR disaster at a time when London and the UK are positioning themselves as global players. We can only hope that this will provide a wake up call as we gear ourselves up to host the Olympics in 2012.&quot;</i>

and

<i>Commenting on the London Underground strike announcement by the trade unions today David Frost, Director General of the British Chambers of Commerce, said:

“Coupled with the chaos at Terminal 5 this strike announcement sends a signal out to the rest of the World that London is not a place to come and do business.

“Enough is enough. Someone needs to get a grip and sort out the mess that the UK’s transport infrastructure has become.”</i>

http://www.britishchambers.org.uk/67...336/media.html
Old Mar 29th, 2008, 12:15 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Nytraveler: Since we don't have crystal ball it is hard to know if the T-5 mess will be better next week or not. if you meant 1800 for your arrival at T-5 - both of those connections will probably be cutting it close if there are any sort of residual problems (even if the T-5 flight arrives as scheduled)

I'd book either one and then make sure you have a change of clothes in your carry on since there is a semi-good chance you'll be spending the night in London.
Old Mar 29th, 2008, 01:11 PM

baa is very good at running shopping malls. i'm sure the shops in t5 are all running fine. what a disgrace.
Old Mar 29th, 2008, 06:48 PM
Original Poster

We HAVE booked the AA flight at 20:05 - which is the last plane out to NYC. We have only carry-on luggage - no checked - so don't need to deal with T5 baggage handling.

I'm really concerned with the bus from T5 to T3 versus T5 to T4. Don't know the bus routes. Is one shorter/faster than the other - giving us more time to make the plane?
Old Mar 30th, 2008, 03:57 AM

According to the BBC this morning, it's still chaotic , with cancelled flights and baggage problems.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/7320497.stm
Old Mar 30th, 2008, 09:46 AM

BA, as of 1400 GMT today, claim they're getting on top of the T5 problem. But they're still cancelling flights (slightly over 20% of flights to and from T5), and are quoted by the BBC as saying cancellations will go on into next week (ie w/c March 31)

A glance at the Heathrow arrivals webpage right now shows lots of T5 delayed arrivals - though the one nytraveler's on is only 14 mins late.

None of this has any effect on other airports: but it seems to be creating real horror stories about luggage being transferred to and from T5 and other terminals.

IN nytraveler's case, it's far from certain the Zurich-London flight will go at all. On current form, there's a high chance it'll be late, but on today's evidence, not materially (if it really does arrive 14 mins late, getting to T$ or T3 in time for a 200 departure should be OK). Both of these, nytraveler needs to check on the day, but personally I'd be rerouting right now and not waiting till Wednesday.

I don't know the route the airside bus now takes. Personally, if I were to risk it (and I wouldn't, because the likelihood the incoming flight won't happen or will be excessively delayed is really high), I'd book onto the BA connection. You're marginally more likely to get BA to help you (if there's one thing they hate more than BAA or training their staff, it's AA). And you're less likely to be delayed by secondary security at the departure gate with BA than AA.

One tiny bit of good news. In all the stories over the past few days, I've heard none about long queues at inbound T5 FCC security, which is normally where LHR transfers go really horrible. There seem to be so many cancellations, there just aren't enough transferring passengers to create a bottleneck.
Old Mar 30th, 2008, 09:53 AM

PS:

Don't let bad information confuse you.

BA have transferred ONLY former T1 (and I think T3)flights to T5. BA flights operating to and from T4 aren't due to transfer to T5 for some time - and BA are now openly discussing delaying that transfer.

BA's New York flights are still using T4, and therefore operating normally. Note that I said normally: not punctually or reliably.
Old Mar 30th, 2008, 10:12 AM
Original Poster

Unfortunately rerouting isn't possible. We are in a meeting in Zurich until 3 pm so it will be a rush getting the 5 pm flight out. And LHR has the latest flights to NYC. I have checked other major airports - and their last flights outs are at 5 or 6 pm - when we'll still be on the Zurich to wherever flight.

So - it looks like we either make the flight - or spend a night at Heathrow. I guess we'll keep the AA flight since it's 5 minutes later.

Perhaps they'll have it cleared up by Friday - and the Zurich flight won't be late.
Old Apr 6th, 2008, 01:41 PM

My husband just called moments ago to tell me that his flight to Oslo has been cancelled for the night after being cancelled three times today.

He left DC yesterday via NY, got to LHR just fine and then was delayed. Yes, he was going to Oslo for business out of T5.

He is spending the night at a hotel in Windsor. He spent 12 hrs today at the LHR. His business booked the trip, so there was nothing he could do to avoid flying into and out of LHR. They booked him on a 7am flights tomorrow morning and then he can meet up with his colleagues to go to Tromso. Any later and he would completely miss meeting up with them.

What a hassle!
We have two tickets to Africa departing this May 29th and yes, its on BA leaving LHR terminal 5. Hopefully by then the problem may be fixed??

Our tickets are FF and while we normallly love our American/BA flights ( have done numerous amounts of these through LHR with no problems at all) , I am almost tempted to purchase two tickets to Africa and see if we can get our FF miles put back into our accounts. Never did that before, don't know the rules, so perhaps that is not even a possibility.

Hate the thought of shelling out $ for airfare (have not done it in years as we have so many FF)but I don't relish a nightmare delayed trip into Africa either.

I guess time will tell...

Thoughts???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -