Any MADRID experts out there?

Old Aug 8th, 2007, 11:18 AM
khc
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any MADRID experts out there?

Hi all! I have come here numerous times in the past for travel advice & I remember finding the most knowledgeable people! I have a question for anyone who might be familiar with Madrid.

One of my best friends for 20+ years moved to Spain (from the US) last year to live with her boyfriend, who is from there. They just recently got married in Spain & are having a party here in the US to celebrate. I have been trying hard to figure out a good gift for her, but I have had trouble coming up with something. I can't give her cash or gift card (too impersonal for our relationship), they have a tiny apartment & don't need anything, etc. Another friend suggested theater tickets (in Madrid) & I am trying to look into that, but I am not sure where to look or which shows are "good" there. I also thought of maybe a night or 2 in a hotel/villa/b&b somewhere not too far away, but I wasn't sure where to look for that either.

So, in a last ditch effort to figure this all out, I am coming here seeking advice. The budget could be up to about $500 USD, but it doesn't have to be that much either.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Old Aug 8th, 2007, 12:21 PM

ttt
Old Aug 8th, 2007, 12:30 PM

How about a gift certificate to an electronics store? Really too impersonal? These things are still cheaper in the states. Or maybe you could buy both of them Ipods or nanos.

If I were giving that kind of gift, I would budget in whatever customs they might have to pay bringing it back in. I hope you know them well enough to say that once they get back to Spain, they must contact you so you can reimubrse them for the VAT or duties.

Little electronic items are nice and tiny.
Old Aug 9th, 2007, 12:04 PM
khc
Original Poster

Thanks for the idea!

Any other thoughts?
Old Aug 9th, 2007, 12:17 PM

I like your idea of a night or two in a hotel/villa/B&B.

The best would be, I think, a gift certificate for the parador system in Spain. There are dozens of paradores; quite a few of them are near Madrid. Most are in reconverted castles, palaces, monasteries, etc.; they all have restaurants.

Yes, it's a gift certificate, but your friend can choose the parador that suits her.

You'd probably have to contact the parador reservation system to see how to purchase a gift certificate:

http://www.parador.es/english/index.jsp
Old Aug 9th, 2007, 12:51 PM
khc
Original Poster

Thank you for the parador idea...I really think that they would like that. They got married at the parador in Chinchon (wish I could have been there). I will look into that ASAP!

Thanks!
Old Aug 9th, 2007, 02:50 PM

I was going to suggest a gift card from El Corte Inglés and then they would be able to use them to help w/travel plans and thenbuy whatever they want w/left over $$$.The rates at the paradores can vary tremendously and it would be a shame to "waste" your money.Just a suggestion since El Coerte Inglés offers just about everthing and easy for you to buy on line.