Any information about Goslar, Germany?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30th, 2009, 08:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm planning on staying a couple of days in Quedlinburg, with day trips to Erfurt, Weimar, and possibly Goslar. However, Goslar doesn't sound as interesting as Quedlinburg and Erfurt. Has anyone visited it and can recommend spending a day or two there?
Old Jun 30th, 2009, 08:13 AM

I have no been to Quedlinburg but have been to the others (and Q'burg in on my to do list - it is a UNESCO World Heritage city i believe)

Goslar is IMO a lovely lovely city - all bright pastel-hued buildings, quaint streets, etc. I would do it as a day trip from Q'burg. vs Erfurt and Weimar? I did enjoy those two places even more - esp Weimar and its park-like setting. And there is Wartburg Castle in Eisenach, where Luther threw his ink well against the wall after seeing the Devil - ink stains still there as proof.

Naumburg - close to Weimar was also a real charmer - so much to see and do in this area.

Be sure to ride the narrow-gauge steam train from Wenigerode, another charmer near the old border of east and west Germany - and take the train up to Brocken, a fabled viewpoint in the Haarz Mountains.
Old Jun 30th, 2009, 08:25 AM

I was there for work and liked it very much. I'd visit it again if I was in the region.
Old Jun 30th, 2009, 09:09 AM

I've heard nothing but good things about Goslar, though we didn't quite make it there on our last trip.

We spent the weekend in Quedlinburg last year and absolutely fell in love with the place.

If you need a wonderful, cheap place to stay in Quedlinburg, I highly recommend the comfortable Gaestehaus Toepke, right in town, run by lovely owners. Excellent breakfast, too. I reviewed it on Tripadvisor, but their website is www.gaestehaus-toepke.de. Gute Reise!
Old Jun 30th, 2009, 10:27 AM

YouTube - Steam Train to Brocken Harz Mountains Germany

4 min 38 sec - Oct 2, 2006 -

Brocken is the highest point in Northern Germany and is in the Harz Mountains. Nearby is the Unesco world heritage town of Quedlinburg (see other ...
www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuhaaLfyQAo
Old Jun 30th, 2009, 11:00 AM

It's on our September itinerary to stop in Goslar on our way from Quedlinburg to Hannoversch Münden. Looks like a beautiful town.

http://www.goslar.de/sehenswertes.html

While in Quedlinburg, we plan to visit Wernigerode and Wolfenbüttel.
Old Jun 30th, 2009, 12:58 PM
Original Poster

Vielen Dank for all the information and suggestions. Too many to just jot down, so I will print this and take with me. I'm so excited!

Another question: I'm tempted to use the train between these places. Any comments about train vs car. I've driven a lot in Germany, but I'm thinking parking may just complicate visits to these places. Any comments?
Old Jul 1st, 2009, 07:32 AM

I took the train between Eisenach (Wartburg Castle about a mile or less from the station - the town has little for tourists - huge Opal (i think) car factory there and Erfurt, Weimar and Naumburg - very frequent service - parking did not look impossible as i remember in any of these cities but as they are so close together why drive, unless you are renting a car anyway. Train service is also excellent between Goslar, Wernigerode and Q'burg.
Old Jul 1st, 2009, 07:42 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Pal. I keep forgetting how small Germany is (Rick Steves says it's about the size of Montana) and how good the train service is.